Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878462 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:09 am »

Do I simply remove the GRAZER:whatever tag to make a creature not require food?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »

Yes
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2012, 02:28:46 pm »

Why does my dwarf have yellow/brown...everything..except upper body? Even lips and such are listed. She has no wounds on the health screen though, nor on the main thoughts and preferences screen.

Could it be related to the werelizard I killed?

My dwarfs won't eat the dwarf meat from it :sad:

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »

I'd still say dogs, they're a little easier to manage since you don't have to make sure the eggs are not taken away if you want them to hatch, or worry about the chicks viciously attacking one another shortly after birth because they feel crowded in the nest.
When I said 'they're only that good on embark' I meant 'embark is the only time they're that good'. You buy eight turkeys for the cost of three dogs, extract at least 24 units of food from each turkey (though you will need at least one nest box for the eggs), and then switch to animals that acheive butcher-worthy size on becoming adults and don't start attacking each other on birth. Like dogs.

Usually I buy yarn and cloth off the traders, but shearing and spinning are nice little side industries to mess around with in a mature fort. I think I might go and mod alpaca yarn actually, part of the reason the shearing industry is so overlooked is because the stuff it produces is nearly worthless. At least the silk industry has GCS silk.

"Her fourth toe left foot is broken. Her fourth toe left foot is smashed open."
The thoughts screen tells you which body parts are damaged. The health screen tells you which tissue in those body parts is damaged. If it's been there for ages it's probably the nail. Nail doesn't have a healing rate, so it doesn't ever heal. It can get infected, but the one dwarf I've had with an infected nail survived like a decade until the fort was lost to a hard drive crash. I don't know whether it was her stats, the nail being a really small part, or nail not having any blood flow, but it didn't seem to be anything but a cosmetic issue.

Edit: dog sizes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:00:44 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »

What levels should I be looking for the first cavern layer on? The ground goes to -129 bellow the surface, and there's an aquifer at -4. I've got ramps branching out in all for orthogonal directions, and a few other branches where I thought the cavern layer should be, but I'm not hitting it.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2012, 08:29:24 pm »

Why does my dwarf have yellow/brown...everything..except upper body? Even lips and such are listed. She has no wounds on the health screen though, nor on the main thoughts and preferences screen.

My dwarfs won't eat the dwarf meat from it :sad:

I've noticed that some migrants show up heavily wounded but it doesn't seem to affect anything.  They don't want medical care or heal.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

I think I might go and mod alpaca yarn actually, part of the reason the shearing industry is so overlooked is because the stuff it produces is nearly worthless. At least the silk industry has GCS silk.

From my point of view, another reason is that you only get one (1) yarn cloth from each shearing, regardless of the amount of wool.  The shearer may produce a wool-stack of size 6 or 8 or whatever, but it still ends up as just 1 cloth.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »

My workstation is getting cluttered, HELP!  HEHE.  Cabochons. Has anyone worked out what stockpile they go in?  JonesAlpha asked sometime ago in here, but I haven't seen an answer.  @JonesAlpha- Have you found an answer to this, plz share?  It appears the brokers lump them in with small gems, not large gems.  *shrug*
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:29:35 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Lokathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:25 am »

Is there a way to size up the TrueType font without adjusting the display of the ASCII tiles at all?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:32 am »

I had four migrants show up like that, in different waves, though they eventually healed.  They all turned out to be vampires.

So it's possible it was due to some weakness they had.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:16 am »

Well, she's not a vampire. Just found it bizarre as she had injuries in, I think, every "area" a dwarf can get injured in. All her false ribs, all her fingers/toes, her eyelids, her heart, her brain, everything. Like 4-5 pages of it!

Hopefully it'll go away, though she's slow to heal.

On the "nails never heal thing", where am I looking in the RAWs so I can make these things heal? Even if it has no effect, the wound being there bugs me.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2012, 07:25:07 am »

I had a dwarf migrate to my fort being very unhappy. I checked the summary and apparently she witnessed the death and decay of family and had smelled miasma and was upset about the lack of chairs. But she had a fine drink recently. This, all before she crossed the threshhold into my fortress.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:38 am »

I had a dwarf migrate to my fort being very unhappy. I checked the summary and apparently she witnessed the death and decay of family and had smelled miasma and was upset about the lack of chairs. But she had a fine drink recently. This, all before she crossed the threshhold into my fortress.
Historical dwarves are awesome.

Check her out in legends, I bet she ran away from her village being sacked or something!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:56 am »

My workstation is getting cluttered, HELP!  HEHE.

Well, the quick-and-dirty solution would be to deconstruct and re-build the workshop.  When it's deconstructed, the contents will be scattered randomly in the 3x3 area that it formerly occupied.  When you re-build it, the dwarf who's building it will move each of them to a spot just outside the 3x3 area (without any of those pansy one-stone-per-tile limits).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:27 am »

What would be the best way to create some sort of early warning system? Basically I'd just like to know when some new critters have spawned in the caverns so I can go kill them. Constantly checking the unit screen is annoying, but if I don't I might get a building destroyer rampaging into my fortress :/

Also, as I've never seen one, how can I find a cave dragon?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 422