Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879771 times)

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3795 on: January 19, 2013, 07:43:20 am »

How strong would water pressure need to be (by which I mean 'how deep water must the water be above the outlet') to physically shove creatures and items back?

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: January 19, 2013, 07:55:48 am »

I built some adamantine weapons.  How do I now found them?  They are not in my weapons pile, magna forge and I take find them on the stocks list but my manager is rubbish so the list isn't very good.

Any advice?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: January 19, 2013, 11:20:26 am »

How strong would water pressure need to be (by which I mean 'how deep water must the water be above the outlet') to physically shove creatures and items back?
Water pushing things around is very unreliable. I believe you can get water to push creatures at around 4/7 but the water must be moving, and even then it is only a small chance of happening. As a whole water is very bad at actually pushing anything.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »

Water pressure has nothing to do with that.
Water will push an item only when it is less than 7/7, so the best way to push things long distances is by making sure the tiles with the items never get to 7/7.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: January 19, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »

Got some native gold and platinum showing up in my increasingly futile search for iron. What should I do with it?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: January 19, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »

I built some adamantine weapons.  How do I now found them?  They are not in my weapons pile, magna forge and I take find them on the stocks list but my manager is rubbish so the list isn't very good.

Any advice?

in the noble screen, set your manager accuracy higher and you'll be able to find them through the stocks menu

Got some native gold and platinum showing up in my increasingly futile search for iron. What should I do with it?

If you got copper and silver (usually come together) you can make some basic armor, shields, silver hammers and bash them, or make traps (copper spikes/discs, silver or copper spiked balls - spiked balls are amazingly effective) or crossbows and bolts. Iron can then be harvested from goblin corpses in the form of goblinite.

What to do with non-weapon or armor grade stuff:
make nice statues, chains for prisons (Urist has been content lately, Urist was unhappy about having his freedom restricted (forgot the thought), Urist admired a wonderful chain lately, Urist admired a masterful statue) or stuff to trade for iron stuff with the traders (include toys and other useless stuff).

Set some magma smelters to melt all the iron stuff you don't want to use, which is probably most, and reforge it to your wishes with your master smiths (they should be masters after forging all that silver and copper crap). Magma smelters are really a must here, as you'll be melting a lot, which would eat through a few big forests in charcoal within a few months. Also don't forget to train armor smiths by having them make lots of copper shields (all maps have copper, right?) and melting the ones that aren't masterworks. Material matters little for shields (only for weight/speed/shield bash), quality matters

Note:
Iron is top layer stuff. If it wasn't in the first 10 or so layers, chances are big you're not going to find it. Accept it, and adapt.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:14:58 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: January 19, 2013, 06:15:21 pm »

No silver or copper either, unfortunately, with the exception of one tiny vein of malachite. Not a super sweet embark, but I'm sticking with it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:24 pm »

Wow, I have had only 1 embark, ever, that had no weapon grade materials. A few with only silver, but that sets traps nicely

Oh well, cage traps can help, allong with glass. Ask for sand and/or bags from the trader, stuff like that. Meanwhile invest in drowning chambers, dropping pits and wrestlers.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: January 19, 2013, 06:21:34 pm »

Especially weird given that I bumped mineral frequency up a notch before world gen.

I keep expecting to find something, but it's looking grim.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: January 19, 2013, 07:46:52 pm »

Make goblets and swap them for the traders' weapon-grade metal items. You'll need fuel and a transport link between depot and metalworks to effectively process the assortment of items you get, so even if you have a skilled stonecrafter and no metalcrafters you might as well start training one and take advantage of the infrastructure. Goblets will raise the metalworker's skill level very quickly, and you get 4 metal bars for every 1 ore you dig out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: January 19, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »

Hey there, what is a dwarfs daily intake of food/drink?  Just 1 of each a day or more?

Thx for look, foil.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: January 19, 2013, 08:29:07 pm »

Hey there, what is a dwarfs daily intake of food/drink?  Just 1 of each a day or more?

Thx for look, foil.
About 1 food/month and 2 drink/month, I think.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: January 20, 2013, 02:08:25 am »

Thx for look, foil.

Thx for look, foil.
About 1 food/month and 2 drink/month, I think.

higher in adventure mode

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:11 am »

Is it still possible for a normal dwarf or human/dwarf/elf/goblin adventurer to hit something so hard that their preys fly into things and explode into gibs?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:34 am »

Flying away is possible if the prey is very small, but normal adventurers can't hit hard enough for gib explosions.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 422