Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vampire Queen (yet another vampire thread)  (Read 10087 times)

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire Queen (yet another vampire thread)
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:41:16 pm »

So I've genned a medium region world up to 200, and as usual I'm going through legends looking at the various dwarf civs to see if any are particularly interesting. One of the first things I do is check out if the civ still has a leader (I don't think I've seen any civs who still have mountain homes without a civ leader compared to old version, probably due to the whole historical figure update that tracks the original leader's extended bloodline).
So this civ, The Dagger of Barbarians, has only had one leader, Ablel Attichandle a female dwarf vampire cursed by the goddess of song for profaning a temple. Of course being more than 200 years old she has around 6k kills.

"Ablel laid a series of oppressive edicts upon the Dagger of Barbarians"

This comes on the same year and season as "Ablel aroused general suspicion in Keyislands after a murder" so I'm guessing they're related. My question is, what does this line mean, exactly? Does it have any effect on gameplay mechanics at all? Does it change the dwarven ethics if you use that particular civ? Make vampire related deaths acceptable?

In any case my goal in this world with this civ will be to create an opulent necropolis where I can chuck as many vampires, necromancers and corpses as possible (undead don't attack vamps right?). In that same vein, and I'm sure this has been asked on the forum already, is there any way to transmit vampirism? 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Vampire Queen (yet another vampire thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:44:47 pm »

1. Doesn't affect anything at all, except maybe a vampire queen showing up :P
2. Nope, they don't attack vamps
3. Get your Dwarves to drink their blood. No successful recordings of this have happened yet (in fortress mode).

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »

Weird, my civ has a vampire queen as well. I found out because my dwarves made an elf-bone figurine of her ascending the throne.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:36 pm »

In any case my goal in this world with this civ will be to create an opulent necropolis where I can chuck as many vampires, necromancers and corpses as possible (undead don't attack vamps right?). In that same vein, and I'm sure this has been asked on the forum already, is there any way to transmit vampirism?

I like this idea. I'd scout out a crowded necromancer tower and use Just Embark and build your fort around that. The necromancers are not hostile, if not very participatory, typical nobles really.

I think there are schemes to use a vampire in a well's reservoir and a upright spear trap to contaminate the well with vampire blood, but it hasn't been confirmed to work and I suspect it doesn't.

Really, though, the whole point would be a vampire/ necromancer nobility oppressing the hell out of everybody else. No need to expand the ranks of the ruling elite.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »

Exactly the vibe I was going for, but the infection of chosen dwarves would be seen as the bestowing of an awesome gift. If that upright spear trap/blood thing works, maybe even build a small temple where the chosen one is locked away, ostensibly to purify his soul and mind for the coming glory but really just to keep the damn idiot in there until he gets thirsty and is forced to drink from the well. Only the greatest warriors would be chosen of course, to serve as bodyguards for the queen in the fortress guard. Plus it makes trying to assault the necropolis with an adventurer that much more insanely hard, which is kind of the point of creating the necropolis in the first place.
I guess someone will find a way to transmit it anyhow, even if only through modding. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:36:29 pm »

I've also heard that Toady intended for interactions to be ingestible via food. If water doesn't work, you could try coating food in vampire blood instead.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »

I've also heard that Toady intended for interactions to be digestible via food. If water doesn't work, you could try coating food in vampire blood instead.

This sounds like a more workable solution. Just gotta figure out a way to sprinkle blood on food sitting open on a stockpile a z-level under. Without killing the blood donor in the process.

I wonder if blood smears and the sort actually coat items on the ground, though. I can only remember blood being on equipped items like clothing.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:59:53 pm »

You could try a 1x1 pit with the vampire locked in it, sitting on top of an upright spike trap with either a wooden spike or a wooden training spear, then throw food on top of him and see if it gets coated when you trigger the spike.

And I don't think the water method has been tested yet...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »

My civilization also has a vampire queen! I wonder if vampires are somehow more likely to become nobility than other dwarves...
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:48:59 pm »

You could try a 1x1 pit with the vampire locked in it, sitting on top of an upright spike trap with either a wooden spike or a wooden training spear, then throw food on top of him and see if it gets coated when you trigger the spike.

And I don't think the water method has been tested yet...
I just tested it, it works!

I built sealed the known vampire into a 1x1 room with an upright spike and killed her with it then filled the pit with water, built a well over it, and banned all booze. The dwarves that drank out of the well were instantly turned into vampires. The dropping the corpse in apparently doesn't necesarilly wash the body so the blood can stay on them. This way seems more consistent.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »

Broseph, you have just confirmed what will create my Night Fortress of the Damned.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:58:36 pm »

Broseph, you have just confirmed what will create my Night Fortress of the Damned.
It's about a thousand times better than your imagining it. They're godlessly fast, looking at them it feels sort of like I have fastdwarf on with low fps. I sent them out with no weapons or armor and they're mopping up zombies.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »

I've got SPEED:1 on my dwarves. Just think of what's about to happen.
Think about it.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:31 pm »

I feel bad for toady sometimes. No matter what he puts in the game Dwarves are still the most evil. Demons living in the bowels of the earth? KILL THEM STEAL THEIR HOMES! Forgotten beasts leftover from a dead age skulking the world beneath? HARVEST THEIR EXCRETIONS, RUB THEM ON YOUR SKIN TO ROT OFF YOUR OWN FLESH! Vampires hiding in the shadows killing your dwarves when your back is turned? MURDER THEM, GRIND THEM INTO A PUREE AND DRINK THEIR DELICIOUS FLUIDS!

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:13:03 pm »

A fleshless Vampire...
...A fleshless Vampire Zombie  in an all-Vampire Fortress...
....A fleshless Vampire Necromancer who's raising Fleshless Vampire Zombies....In an all-Vampire Fortress...
...Who are all wearing Adamantine Armor...
Pages: [1] 2