Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dungeons are the best place to start exploring  (Read 4998 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeons are the best place to start exploring
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:49 pm »

The dungeons under keeps in towns seem to be the best place to explore first. Both the keeps and dungeons themselves have lots of decent gear lying around and enemies weak enough to face but strong enough as not to feel like grinding.

It's a lot less dangerous than traveling around to hunt bandits or monster because of the ambushing, there's more to do than in sewers, and dungeons are much easier to navigate than catacombs (and vampires seem less dangerous than mummies, though maybe that's just the vampire I ran into).

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons are the best place to start exploring
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »

I have noticed all the nice gear in the keeps.  It's generally my first stop with a new adventurer.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »

The gear you find in keeps outclasses what you can buy in shops.

Traders generally offer normal items, rarely having items higher then finely crafted.  The items you get in a fort/keep generally seems to max out at superior quality (studded with stuff usually).  I haven't found any steel items in a fort/keep but that may because humans cannot produce steel. 

I have found a pair of small steel boots that I cannot wear :(  Maybe i'll save them for my next dwarf adventurer!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

I've not found a single human weapon or armor shop yet though...

I thought taking stuff from the keeps would be stealing? I've been just picking up huge amounts of easy stuff in the dungeons.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:32:31 pm »

I thought taking stuff from the keeps would be stealing? I've been just picking up huge amounts of easy stuff in the dungeons.

If an item doesn't have "$" on either side of its name, no one cares if you take it; this includes the stuff lying around in keeps and warehouses. In fact, it seems you can take anything that you can carry and isn't being sold.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:47:47 pm »

i havent found a shop selling weapon or armor, and i need some where to unload all the crap i have looted.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 05:23:58 pm »

i havent found a shop selling weapon or armor, and i need some where to unload all the crap i have looted.

Tried a lair? Those things are the best banks.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »

Beware though. The Catacombs have traps, and they'll RUIN a new adventurer. I managed to go through 8 wolves and almost 10 kobolds without any serious wounds...until an arrow trap hit my spine and paralyzed my upper body. I think traps like to be put on the tile directly in front of doors, so it may help to move through doors diagonally. Or spend points on observer.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:04:07 pm »

Or just (L)ook closely for traps. Once spotted, they're disarmed.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:49 am »

Beware though. The Catacombs have traps, and they'll RUIN a new adventurer. I managed to go through 8 wolves and almost 10 kobolds without any serious wounds...until an arrow trap hit my spine and paralyzed my upper body. I think traps like to be put on the tile directly in front of doors, so it may help to move through doors diagonally. Or spend points on observer.

Dungeons and catacombs are two different things, and dungeons don't have traps or mummies in them. Catacombs are located all under a town, while dungeons are directly under a town's fortress (and accessed through its keep). It is possible a town's catacombs will be connected to its dungeon; I know sewers can be connected to dungeons (can a town have both sewers and catacombs?).

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:29:21 am »

Finally ventured down into one of these, and was killed by about 10 elf warriors.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:32:02 am »

i've found that it depends on the world.... sometimes, i'll go into the dungeons and there is no gear and no enemies. other times i go and there is enough gear to arm the entire city with. i've also noticed that when there is a lot of gear, there is usually a complete badass bandit, or creature who has been stockpiling all that crap. The best way to train is kobolds and boogeymen (in the city streets so you can retreat if you are too badly hurt). Then once you are confident, you can graduate to normal bandits.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 06:30:39 am »

Is it just me, or are dungeons/sewers morbidly slow to load? I can barely get anywhere where one step takes 3 seconds. Any way to bypass this?
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 06:41:49 am »

Hmm.
I went in a dungeon and it was filled whit people trying to kill me for no apparant reason.
I survived quite long tough.
But macemen sure got a boost, they easily kill all of my companions, while i am throwig coins at crossbowmen.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 07:52:07 am »

while i am throwig coins at crossbowmen.
I think I've spotted your problem.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2