Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So... is there a way to keep the dead ... well dead?  (Read 5689 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: So... is there a way to keep the dead ... well dead?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:41 pm »

The time it takes for dead bodies to zombify is random here. (1-2 minutes.)
You should be able to burn them then.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 04:45:00 pm »

I have the issue where I don't have a chance to actually do anything before they were reanimated. I think I just suck at the survival part with only 7 dwarves with barely any fighting skills. maybe I'll forsake all the niceties and just bring armour and weapons next time. build a pit and proceed to dump all bodies into it. either that or attempt to get everything inside ASAP and wall off until I can cope.

So for now the methods are;

Pitting, (&flooring off if they fly)

Magma

I'm guessing traps would be mightily useful too.

Lets see how quickly I die of !!FUN!! this time!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »

I love that this is the Zombie Apocalypse version of Dwarf Fortress.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »

Well, after a very brief sleep I'm back. 'least I got a new idea for making the undead stay dead for any forts where they do not reawaken in < 30 seconds. Or not that new, but...

Basically, here's how I imagine it would work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The idea being:
- Build outer and inner walls somehow
- Build an access on top of outer wall to drop lignite rocks on the "gate"
- Ignite them (magma, monster, or just hack if you don't think it's worth a pump shaft or the effort to capture a fire thing)
- Keep dumping lignites on top of each other to keep the fire going
- Zombies & other nasties will hopefully path through the burning stone, catching fire
- Marksdwarves then shoot them down from their towers, causing their bodies to evaporate fast or slower, but still, get destroyed unless resurrected at an extremely fast pace
- If they get too close, raise contingency bridge #2 and drop back door bridge, so they path back out, then repeat
- If dwarves are dashing for the fire in a mad effort to grab socks, raise contingency bridge #1
- Possibly build a trade depot in the yard to attract building destroyers and exploding caravans.

Now if only I had my proper home computer and could build it, but that will probably come only after the weekend.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 05:22:53 pm »

You guys really oughta stop trying to find a way to vaporize the zombies.

They're undead, you can't kill what is already dead.

You have to be creative to overcome these things in an evil biome, or be painfully fun-ificated by nigh unkillable thralls and the dead.
From personally expereince, hammerdwarves seem to quickly and effortlessly dispatch zombies and skeletons.

Also, I like to see it as a very, er, unique tower defense.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 05:26:54 pm »

You guys really oughta stop trying to find a way to vaporize the zombies.

They're undead, you can't kill what is already dead.

You have to be creative to overcome these things in an evil biome, or be painfully fun-ificated by nigh unkillable thralls and the dead.
From personally expereince, hammerdwarves seem to quickly and effortlessly dispatch zombies and skeletons.

Also, I like to see it as a very, er, unique tower defense.

With all due, I thought it was more creative than just dumping corpses and training hammerdwarves.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »

boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

You need layered defense and use ALL AVAILABLE TOOLS.  That means

1)  Traps:  cage traps, magma/pitfall bridge traps, menacing spike straps (no serrated discs or anything that cuts)
2)  Atomic Smasher (best combined with a pitfall bridge trap)
3)  Only use Hammerers/Maceman, everything else is a liability, Marksdorfs are not that helpful at all aside from chasing away melee sieges, so don't rely on them
4)  Cage Traps in the inner sanctums as well in case you do something stupid

I had my fort well underway in a haunting region until I derped and mis-dug a level in the magma, a crab got in followed by flaming dwarf then exploding dwarf (booze kaboomed ><) then zombie then tantrum-zombie spiral and then something pulled my outdoor access lever while I was looking.  It was quite !!FUN!! and !!dwarf zombies!!  Gonna probably have even more fun now that therapist is back along with the reduced animalman mod!  Too bad I'd have to reinstall and make a new world, oh well, at least I'm now drooling on trying to hit the circus for the first time in an evil biome   

JelloSnark

• Bay Watcher
  • Ever play Half-Life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 05:35:17 pm »

I had a swarm of zombie mussel shells attack me. The only thing I could do was dig as fast as I could into the side of the mountain and haul all my food and wood inside. When migrants showed up, I had them wrestle the shells to death, but when some grasshopper men got involved, they all died. Next thing you know, I've got a swarm of zombie dwarves fighting all the animals that come onto the map. They are multiplying rapidly. Once I hit magma, I am going to flood the entire world. I also had to lock two bodies and some body parts in a part of my fort because they were 'disrupting work'.
Beware... while my screen-name has 'Snark' in it, I am actually Snarky.
Hehe
'Nom Nom Nom'
God of god of god.
Pages: 1 2 [3]