Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809304 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10680 on: May 19, 2014, 05:28:32 am »

I had what I thought was a small problem with world gen forts occasionally being placed too deeply in the mountains, but it ended up being a more subtle mess with how the mid-level mountain maps are generated, so I had to add an extra check to read ahead how those maps would turn out... the mountain forts seem to all be placed in accessible places now.

Probably asked pages ago, I'll scan/review them, but.......

Does this meant there WON'T be inaccessible fortresses in the mountains, but that are accessible by underground tunnel/underworld, mining or flying mount routes (potentially in some cases), or was it just a bugfix for completely inaccessible forts by any land/underground/tunnel routes?

Because having forts show up on mountains that "We can't get to easily, neither can the rest of the world, but they still sustained themselves" is pretty damn dwarfy. I'd actually like to see a few as long as it's not crashy.

Even if there is no other route in but flying.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:30:39 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: May 19, 2014, 05:41:55 am »

Can we, or will we eventually be able to, strike the earth to find the hidden fortresses? And will they crack the shits at us for archaeologically ruining a masterwork engraved wall?

(it'll be archaeology the moment they're dead and we start pilfering stuff. Including the plump helmet booze)
It's a game. Have fun.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: May 19, 2014, 12:01:23 pm »

Can we, or will we eventually be able to, strike the earth to find the hidden fortresses? And will they crack the shits at us for archaeologically ruining a masterwork engraved wall?

(it'll be archaeology the moment they're dead and we start pilfering stuff. Including the plump helmet booze)

In the rehashed, multicolored version of the dev goals it's stated that, over time, sites will be covered by avaliable layers of soil. Couple that with the (also planned) ability to mine, dig and breach things with adventurers, and you've got some gold. Now, cracking shits for uncovering fortresses is something that hasn't been discovered, not even the dwarven sense of "preserving the past" in a physical state.

Maybe that will have to do with ethics or, perhaps, stronger reasons, like not touching the ad-hoc tomb of an ancient demon.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:45 pm »

Would that burial take place over a real amount of time, our would sites become covered in a matter of mere centuries or decades? Because having it take a really long time would be cool.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: May 19, 2014, 04:14:45 pm »

I'd kind of like to see both and have it be dependent on the surroundings. Quicker in a desert and other similar biomes but slower in others.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: May 19, 2014, 04:31:12 pm »

Many of the naturally buried ruins we've found IRL have been in deserts (or places that have become deserts since the ruining). Though, for the most part archeological sites (not necessarily ruins) have been just the foundations of dismantled or destroyed buildings, which were pretty much underground to begin with. It would probably take a long time for the above-ground monuments/buildings of a dwarf fortress to be buried in most locations, but far less time for the entrance to the underground parts to be covered.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: May 19, 2014, 05:06:51 pm »

Many of the naturally buried ruins we've found IRL have been in deserts (or places that have become deserts since the ruining). Though, for the most part archeological sites (not necessarily ruins) have been just the foundations of dismantled or destroyed buildings, which were pretty much underground to begin with. It would probably take a long time for the above-ground monuments/buildings of a dwarf fortress to be buried in most locations, but far less time for the entrance to the underground parts to be covered.

This is the actual fragment from the Development Page (bold is mine, for ease):

Quote from: Development
  • Adventure sites
    • Non-town sites need to created and used for various purposes in world generation (prisons, tombs, temples, mines, castles, etc.)
    • These places should often fall into disuse (or not be active entity pop locations, as with a tomb)
    • Old abandoned structures can be partially buried in available soil layers
    • Sites should contain any appropriate items to their (possibly former) purpose
    • World gen should utilize defunct sites and get them new inhabitants
    • (...)

And it goes on. It would make sense for these ruins to have vegetation around them; but for avaliable soil to partially cover them, landslides and high precipitation should be a must, also taking into account unrooting and overall absence of nearby trees. Being that dwarves 1. settle around mountains, 2. love to chop down all the local flora and 3. are prone to cave-ins and related accidents, it's far from unreasonable to have partially buried fortresses due to soil erosion and lack of terrain engineering over time.

We're talking about something projected into the far future, so it might sound suggestion-y. We'll need to hear about it from the Toad himself whenever the chance comes.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10687 on: May 19, 2014, 05:17:04 pm »

Seeing as dwarves like to build mostly underground anyway, they seem pretty predisposed for burial.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: May 19, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »

I would assume dwarven sites wouldn't be the only ones that could become ruins though.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: May 19, 2014, 05:26:04 pm »

True, but as in real life I imagine it would take a very long time for most (non-desert) human structures to be buried naturally, barring massive disasters.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: May 19, 2014, 05:29:45 pm »

I think that sites getting covered by soil layers is something which will likely happen during world gen only. Although sites being destroyed/altered in different ways is already planned (i.e. by occupying civ or after other entities did a reclaim)
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: May 19, 2014, 06:07:13 pm »

Does anyone know whether there will be any future use for barrels of blood, ichor, 'liquid,' and the like, that are available from caravans?

It would be pretty awesome to be able to give vampires an alternate, non-dwarf, food source.  Or at least to cook up some blood puddings and the like.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: May 19, 2014, 06:26:08 pm »

I think that sites getting covered by soil layers is something which will likely happen during world gen only. Although sites being destroyed/altered in different ways is already planned (i.e. by occupying civ or after other entities did a reclaim)

Well, the plan is to have everything historical in world gen still happen after world gen, so I doubt this will be left out. There are obviously some limitations to work out with how tiles work though, lest your whole embark is suddenly covered by a z-level of dirt during play or other similar issues.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: May 19, 2014, 07:09:00 pm »

Seeing as dwarves like to build mostly underground anyway, they seem pretty predisposed for burial.

Such is the fate for many a fortress, is it not?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: May 19, 2014, 10:17:08 pm »

Quote from: Today's devlog
Things are generally moving forward at a wholesome speed as the two year release anniversary creeps closer.

Anyone else now thinking there'll be a release on June 4?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 748