Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806535 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9660 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:06 am »

Random Guy: "If Toady  doesn't release by June 1st, I will commit suicide."
Toady One: "Bye!"

Just my random neuron firing for the evening.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:49 am »

"Random guy" was me :p It was a joke, actually (i hope you understood it), alluding to the neverending quite long time between two releases.
Anyway, and to reply to Willfor, the issue is that programming is like cave-in. You can't just add things alone, sometimes it's a whole part of the game that you have to change, and it takes a lot of time (but, later, it will be much quicker to add new features to the game which would take a lot more time if it hadn't been change before).

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9662 on: March 19, 2014, 08:18:02 am »

People, please, get a grip of yourselves. We have waited for way longer than a year, a few months more will not hurt, are more than worthy and you all know it. I said it a thousand times (well, I'm exaggerating), this will be the most important release, a whole dynamic world that will function as the bones of this creature, from this point on DW stops being a snapshot taken from a fantastic world to become an fully interactive live feed video of it. After this I suspect the speed at which awesome features are added will only increase, as simply putting muscles over those bones. It might not be perfect, but amidst a huge storm filled with lighting and thundering, inside his apartment surrounded by Tesla coils spiking with arcs of energy Toady, dressed in a white lab coat will finally be able to scream to the heavens "IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!"

I think I previously compared it to a kid starting to talk and walk, being the pivotal skills needed for everything else the child will do, from playing and dancing to working and fighting, if you rather that analogy over the Frankenstein one.

Logically, given the importance and amount of work involved in this I think that in fact we are getting a really fast release. Keep in mind Toady is coding alone and he's working with a code that has over 10 years in the making. I'm a coder, and sometimes I can't handle code made by myself just a weeks ago even despite the best practices in code documentation and commenting.

Now, let us be at peace meanwhile this baby is finished, the waiting is completely worth, be it a few months or another year. We are talking about the most important update to date (and might I dare say of it's whole history, surpassing past and future updates) of the most complex, complete, detailed, and in my humble opinion, the best computer game in the history of mankind.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:28:28 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:44 pm »

I dunno, all that hype is usually a prelude to disappointment. He's only a human after all-and one who subsists largely on soda, at that. (No offense ^_^)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: March 19, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »

It's like we're a pig, ridden by Toady, holding the new release on a stick in front of our nose. It's literally just that.
I am a patient man (when it comes to games, anyway), but Toady is really putting our trust to the test here, I feel.

I don't feel that way. Literally or allegorically.
I understand what he means. Toady can takes the time he wants but the thing is, we've been led (through early estimates and a lot of wishful thinking) to believe that it was right around the corner. For a whole year. There are people who still think the release is imminent. People have died waiting for the release. Hell, I am not sure I will make it through that release.

It's much better for one's peace of mind to accept the fact that it's not coming out. After all, the game is pretty awesome as it is right now and I still enjoy it a lot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9665 on: March 19, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »

It's like we're a pig, ridden by Toady, holding the new release on a stick in front of our nose. It's literally just that.
I am a patient man (when it comes to games, anyway), but Toady is really putting our trust to the test here, I feel.

I don't feel that way. Literally or allegorically.
I understand what he means. Toady can takes the time he wants but the thing is, we've been led (through early estimates and a lot of wishful thinking) to believe that it was right around the corner. For a whole year. There are people who still think the release is imminent. People have died waiting for the release. Hell, I am not sure I will make it through that release.

It's much better for one's peace of mind to accept the fact that it's not coming out. After all, the game is pretty awesome as it is right now and I still enjoy it a lot.
It is coming out, eventually. It's on "Valve-time" as they say. But really, people ought to enjoy the current release while they wait.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9666 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:40 pm »

I have stopped caring, and I think I'm actually going to stop reading the blog so I can be pleasantly surprised when the new version comes out, and completely hype-free.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9667 on: March 19, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »

Until you actually pay cash for Dwarf Fortress (instead of, say, donating knowing full well the game is free), please don't complain about what you're "owed."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: March 19, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

Until you actually pay cash for Dwarf Fortress (instead of, say, donating knowing full well the game is free), please don't complain about what you're "owed."
+1
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:37 pm »

Gotta support this.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: March 19, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »

Nobody said we were owed a release. You can only stay excited about something for so long, is all.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9671 on: March 19, 2014, 06:50:58 pm »

Imagine walking around in adventure mode and getting the message, "You smell the scent of rotten flesh on the wind."

I love that.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:11 pm »

EmeraldWind is referring to the devlog that Toady just posted, where he also writes that there are exactly six things left to do before bugfixing begins. Anyone still willing to explain to us how the new version is "always 2-3 months away" and will not be released anytime ever?

I'm no elf, but I definitely smell the new version. Does that mean DF 2014 is undead:o

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: March 19, 2014, 07:04:52 pm »

I wonder if how an animal smells/how smelly it is is governed by raws now.

Six finalizations can take a month or so to finish, though. It's always at least a month away, until it's released. :P
and you damn well better be hyped for it; you know dwarf fortress releases are never less than the dev logs promise!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: March 19, 2014, 08:48:42 pm »

EmeraldWind is referring to the devlog that Toady just posted, where he also writes that there are exactly six things left to do before bugfixing begins. Anyone still willing to explain to us how the new version is "always 2-3 months away" and will not be released anytime ever?

I'm no elf, but I definitely smell the new version. Does that mean DF 2014 is undead:o

One month ago it was about 10 things. Some people thought the release was imminent by then. I'm not saying Toady is taking too long because he is lazy or because we are owed something; it is because I think it may be bad for the game and the community in the long run.

Anyway, I loved the devlog of today. Smells and smelling as a game mechanic isn't something many games offer.
Pages: 1 ... 643 644 [645] 646 647 ... 748