Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807107 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8670 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:46 am »

So there's mountainhomes with dragons in the next version? I wonder if we can reclaim with thirteen dwarves and a gnome now. ;^)

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: January 10, 2014, 04:22:56 am »

So there's mountainhomes with dragons in the next version? I wonder if we can reclaim with thirteen dwarves and a gnome now. ;^)

We only need Starting Scenarios now. And proper human wizards I suppose?
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:48 am »

You know, it only just dawned on me that we might be seeing Mines of Moria with Balrog-style places now. Or Erebor and Smaug. And we can reclaim those areas. A LotR mod + right starting settings -> Relive the Hobbit.

Just realised what this release actually means: Story. Of Heroes and Beasts. Of Might and Magic. Of Dungeons and Dragons. Of Orcs and Men. Okay, enough of that.
But yeah, serious story possibilities, and it makes mods all the more awesome.

Will sites be abandoned/claimed by beasts/become reclaimable/get reclaimed by NPCs during time passed in Fort Mode? (Not due to player actions, of course)

I'm guessing yes, but I need to ask anyways.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:50:27 am by Wimopy »
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:46 am »

Put your questions in green to get a reply.

Oh Great Toady One! Maker of Infinite Universes within Infinite Universes! Oh Great Lord of Creation and Glory! Of Dwarves and Smelly Hippies alike! I come to you seeking to sip from the never ending fountain of your wisdom.

It is possible to retire a fort to become and adventurer or start another fort planing to return to the retired fortres latter, and while playing the new adventurer/fortress, the first fort to succumb to invasion/destruction like it does in world gen?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: January 10, 2014, 07:37:11 am »

'Proper human wizards' got me thinking: What are you long-term plans for non-necromancy magic?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: January 10, 2014, 07:54:08 am »

'Proper human wizards' got me thinking: What are you long-term plans for non-necromancy magic?

This has been covered fairly extensively in the DFtalks, at least as fair as the general idea goes. Doubt we'll get any specifics before Toady actually gets to starting implementing it :>

http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_combined_transcript.html

ctrl+f "magic"

(there's really just too much of it and too broad to easily be able to pick out any part to quote without bloating up this whole page)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: January 10, 2014, 11:01:57 am »

You know, it only just dawned on me that we might be seeing Mines of Moria with Balrog-style places now. Or Erebor and Smaug. And we can reclaim those areas. A LotR mod + right starting settings -> Relive the Hobbit.

Just realised what this release actually means: Story. Of Heroes and Beasts. Of Might and Magic. Of Dungeons and Dragons. Of Orcs and Men. Okay, enough of that.

Will sites be abandoned/claimed by beasts/become reclaimable/get reclaimed by NPCs during time passed in Fort Mode? (Not due to player actions, of course)

This was stated in the Dev Log, and the answer was yes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: January 10, 2014, 11:06:34 am »

I only saw it made clear to be in world generation? Afaik there won't really be any history progression in fort mode yet apart from births/deaths and positions being passed along, but I might've misunderstood things :>

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: January 10, 2014, 11:10:47 am »

Will all sites be susceptible to beasties from above or below? You need to go through Laketown to get to Erebor after all.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: January 10, 2014, 11:20:14 am »

I only saw it made clear to be in world generation? Afaik there won't really be any history progression in fort mode yet apart from births/deaths and positions being passed along, but I might've misunderstood things :>

Yeah, where does the dev log say that, again?  I don't even see a mention of dwarves doing reclaims in world gen, just world gen adventurers trying to kill megabeasts.

V V V oops!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:32:27 am by Footkerchief »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:19 am »

The reclaim part was in this paragraph:

Torasstinthad is the sixth ruin, and Dungsfur the Tufted Certainty was a hydra. Maybe it was routine by now, but many dwarves died and the hydra came to stay in 38. The baroness's father was not present, as he was a mayor elsewhere, but he met his own beast in 41 when a dragon destroyed Pickconfines. Unlike other fortresses and their beasts, that dragon wasn't the kind to stick around. Pickconfines was reclaimed in 45 and still stands.

Unless you mean trying to go and reclaim a still beast-inhabited fortress.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:12 pm »

Eh, i think he's asking about post world gen. In that case, i think the answer is no they will not reclaim sites on their own. As to this
Man, I loved today's devlog. And some say fort mode is being neglected!

This post raises one major question for me, which is: if a player adventurer kills a megabeast occupying a fort and makes a claim on the site, is the fort still reclaimable through fort mode? Will a reclamation party have to fight a hostile band of adventurers if they're an enemy of the dwarves' home civ? Can such a site claim generate hostility by itself?

I aked whether sites can be reclaimed by adventurers, and when i asked it you couldn't. Things might have changed by now.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: January 10, 2014, 01:28:45 pm »

Yeah, where does the dev log say that, again?  I don't even see a mention of dwarves doing reclaims in world gen, just world gen adventurers trying to kill megabeasts.

V V V oops!

Is Footkerchief missing something in a log or the forum a sign of the apocolypse? Seems fitting...never thought it could happen :O

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: January 10, 2014, 01:37:10 pm »

Oh man, I was joking when I mentioned that DF would update when Hell froze over, but now Foot missed something in a devlog... better break out the thermal undies.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 748