Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807130 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8295 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:02 am »

Yeah, all this stuff is exciting. With the developing entity interactions, I'm scared and fascinated by the possibility of Dwarven !!POLITICAL SCIENCE!! being conducted on this forum.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: December 13, 2013, 01:31:35 am »

maybe in the far future of df, we can get something like this magma-like guy http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=234428

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: December 13, 2013, 05:21:06 am »

Yeah, I would imagine titles would be pointless and you won't be able to do anything with them, just like "tribute" will be abstract. Still, if you can become the "leader" of a village you take by force, why not a "baron" of a fortress?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:27 am »

Yeah, I would imagine titles would be pointless and you won't be able to do anything with them, just like "tribute" will be abstract. Still, if you can become the "leader" of a village you take by force, why not a "baron" of a fortress?

Pointless? Abstract? Aww!  ::)

If you're a "baron", a (war)lord or a "leader" of some sort, then shouldn't you receive some sort of tax or tithe or something? I mean, you did have to "liberate" them from some occupying force or their former "oppressive" leader. And now - in theory - they're your responsibility to protect. Maybe if it's a really poor village they'll give you a share of the eggs their hens lay or something? :P At least you should get free meals and a room to stay in. On the other hand, taxes from a conquered dwarf fortress might be something worth protecting and fighting over.  :D

Okay... I'm not saying I expect it to work like that in the next release. But maybe one day?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:19 am »

Is it possible to claim a site for an allied civilization, e.g. expanding the dwarven motherland by defeating a goblin tower? Or do you have to be completely independent for now?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: December 13, 2013, 11:11:10 am »

I took being able to have tributes sent to other civs to imply that you can conquer them for your civ. I could be wrong tho'.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: December 13, 2013, 11:12:54 am »

I know they are abstracted right now, but when you speak of tributes, what do you have in mind? Would you wait for an economic system to be in place to demand tribute in coinage? Or would it be more common to demand tribute in the form of minerals, objects or "people", like for example gold, weapons and inmigrants/warriors/slaves and coinage would be just yet another type of tribute if available? ... and for now, when you say is abstracted, what does it means?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:47 am »

I know they are abstracted right now, but when you speak of tributes, what do you have in mind? Would you wait for an economic system to be in place to demand tribute in coinage? Or would it be more common to demand tribute in the form of minerals, objects or "people", like for example gold, weapons and inmigrants/warriors/slaves and coinage would be just yet another type of tribute if available?

Historically, all kinds of valuable and/or symbolic items were used as tribute.  I expect those all to be fair game in DF -- restricting it to currency would be boring as well as ahistorical.  Golden goblets came up:
Capntastic:   I definitely think that the social aspects of adventure mode, all that sort of stuff, will be interesting, especially when you get to the point where you are the leader of a group, then you can eventually shift over to a fortress style mode.
Toady:   We were thinking about what the goals are of these meeting hall people, they might be accumulating treasure or something like that, like getting tribute from people and then they'd have this little treasure room ... You could start working on that kind of thing yourself, who knows what people do with their little treasure rooms, they finance armies and things somehow but I don't know what you do with a golden goblet at the end of the day ... I guess you drink from it, or something. But these accumulation type goals lead to things like ruins that are a lot of fun to run around in and fight zombies and snatch their things ...

... and for now, when you say is abstracted, what does it means?

It means nothing changes hands, as with the world gen tribute relationships in the current release.  I don't think that'll change until we have caravans.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: December 13, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »

The monetary aspect comes from the value of things, in the case of the gold goblet you could yeah, use it for drinking, or perhaps melt it into something else. Eventually you might sell it, specially the case with things you can't re-use like a wool dress if you are raising an army for example (cue somebody in here dressing their generals in flower stamped dresses).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: December 14, 2013, 01:16:20 pm »

Will we be able to persuade our companions to retire with our adventurer, or at least "keep in touch"?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: December 14, 2013, 02:06:15 pm »

Will we be able to persuade our companions to retire with our adventurer, or at least "keep in touch"?

Yes.  Adventurer retirement, like fortress retirement, is planned to be made much more flexible:

Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: December 14, 2013, 04:25:41 pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, it should be possible to do the following with the upcoming version:

1. Claim a site ruled over by someone,

2. If said person denies my claim and states that I am a "silly person", with the new conversation and combat systems can A) duel to the death or B) pin and lift said person, and throw them into the nearest fire and watch them burn alive,

3. Rule with an iron fist and kill all who oppose me by way of law?

...Neat.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: December 14, 2013, 04:26:40 pm »

Yeah, sounds about right. The main issue would be getting the fire running. Also, I don't think ruling with an iron fist in a way that's recognizable by the game is quite going to be possible next version.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: December 14, 2013, 05:57:17 pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, it should be possible to do the following with the upcoming version:

1. Claim a site ruled over by someone,

2. If said person denies my claim and states that I am a "silly person", with the new conversation and combat systems can A) duel to the death or B) pin and lift said person, and throw them into the nearest fire and watch them burn alive,

3. Rule with an iron fist and kill all who oppose me by way of law?

...Neat.

#3 is interesting to me.

What happens if you start mistreating the citizens of your new entity? Will they kick you out of the entity, or will they leave it, or will they just be like "well the King can do what he wants, I guess." Are they more tolerant of stealing in the name of the new site leader (considering it tribute or something?)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: December 14, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »

With tributes running the town while you're away, will messengers ever find you to alert you to problems in that town, e.g. the guy you left it charge was killed and someone new controls the town? Or will you intrinsically know when your rule is affected?
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 748