Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806523 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8040 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:15 pm »

It's been 8 days since the last devlog and my habit of projection spewing out of my brain as conviction remains as strong as ever.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »

I have learn over the years, the quietness of Toady (and most coders to be honest) is increasingly proportional to the progress he's making trough the code, with only a few rare exceptions (of which oddly he have had often lately).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: November 20, 2013, 02:16:15 pm »

Toady was never as silent and quiet as he is lately. We know they had some problems though. I hope everything is fine.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

Toady was never as silent and quiet as he is lately. We know they had some problems though. I hope everything is fine.
It's been a bit over a week on the devlog, he's been online today, and ThreeToe was online yesterday. While I do hope everything is all right, it's not that rare for him to be silent this long.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: November 20, 2013, 02:37:44 pm »

Again, they're almost never on time (for good reasons, I guess) and they're probably just finishing the list (and that it's so random it's not really worth posting about).

I'm expecting an update on Friday and a month of testing stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:14 pm »

I don't like the idea "play an important historical figure" as an option period. Whether or not blank slates were available.

Just to clarify.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: November 20, 2013, 02:47:06 pm »

I don't like the idea "play an important historical figure" as an option period. Whether or not blank slates were available.

Just to clarify.
Why does that go against your "videogame philosophy"?

And I mean the option itself, not the option being available alongside the blank slate one.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:36 pm »

Just to clarify.

Playing an important historical figure from a start wouldn't be ideal.
Becoming one mid-play however...Especially once the real fleshy stuff like kingdom mode (or any equivalent thereof), proper economy (or at this stage, any economy) and stuff gets implemented.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: November 20, 2013, 02:59:51 pm »

Playing an important historical figure from a start wouldn't be ideal.

It isn't going to be a thing you unlock. When implemented you can jump into any important historical figure you desire from the get go.

Why does that go against your "videogame philosophy"?

And I mean the option itself

Well, I don't want to dwell on this because this can just become one of those conversation sinks.

I don't like the idea of having the "better choice" that you can cheese. Self-limitation always carries the stench of "intentionally not playing well" and thus I rarely do so.

The blank slate doesn't even carry the usual advantage of "you can be anything" because there is nothing stopping you from taking control of a demon and becoming the king of kindness.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: November 20, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

I don't like the idea of having the "better choice" that you can cheese. Self-limitation always carries the stench of "intentionally not playing well" and thus I rarely do so.

The blank slate doesn't even carry the usual advantage of "you can be anything" because there is nothing stopping you from taking control of a demon and becoming the king of kindness.

Toady has a plan to help you save yourself from yourself:
Toady:   Aside from the scenario stuff and the retconning and that kind of thing, there would also be, especially for people that kind of know what they're doing, but for anyone else as well - when we were talking about accessibility the scenario driven way would give you direction - but another way to do it would be a role playing mode where you can create your character on the spot as an outsider, or just say 'I'm this guy's kid' just picking off the legends screen, that would be fine too. Then you could set everything about yourself, absolutely everything about yourself, and just start playing at the year that everything left off, as if you'd just popped into existence, or had a past, or whatever you want to set up, just to get you in with minimal difficulty without worrying about the retconning problems, get you in there at the right year, if you wanted to continue right where you left off. Another way to do that would be to just say 'I want to play an existing person in the world' and you just go down the legends list and pick someone. That would require something like a world generation parameter I think, because that's one of those things where you'd be tempted to deal with certain problems ... there are people who complain about being tempted to spoil their games. So if the goblins have been attacking you, you could be 'Well I'll be the goblin king and I'll jump into that volcano!' So that would be one of those world gen options most likely, like 'only allow you to jump into people that don't have entity positions/only allow you to jump into people of the good races/allow you to do anything/disallow you to do it at all'; I think that would resolve those issues, for any of the scenario or roleplaying type modes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8050 on: November 20, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »

That would require something like a world generation parameter

It doesn't count. It is an all or nothing sort of thing.

Having an option to turn it off is the same as having the option to have it in the first place.

It isn't about the urge to use it but rather the fact that it is there in the first place. If I have to not use a feature to enjoy the game, I can do that manually without messing with the game's options.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:02:59 pm by Neonivek »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8051 on: November 20, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

Right.  Nobody would ever, say, embark with nothing but a pick, because that would carry the stench of "intentionally not playing well".  That's why I always set embark points up to the maximum possible in world gen.  And mod dwarves to naturally be legendary in all skills.  Also, speed:0, no eat, no drink, no sleep...  After all, the option is there.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8052 on: November 20, 2013, 04:28:03 pm »

Having an option to turn it off is the same as having the option to have it in the first place.

It isn't about the urge to use it but rather the fact that it is there in the first place. If I have to not use a feature to enjoy the game, I can do that manually without messing with the game's options.

You must hate that DFHack exists.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8053 on: November 20, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »

This wouldn't be the only advanced world gen parameter that can make the game easier if turned off. Setting the number of boogiemen to 0 is another example. Being able to play a character with a back-story is a good thing to have, and IMO it's reasonable to extend that to playing people of power in advanced worldgen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8054 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:25 pm »

You must hate that DFHack exists

Nope, that is outside the game and thus it doesn't affect me or the game.

Now if DFHack was built right into the game as a straight up feature, that would be different.

"This wouldn't be the only advanced world gen parameter that can make the game easier if turned off."

Ignoring that Boogeymen are broken. They are all different worlds with their own rules that at its best adapt to the changes you make. They shouldn't be any easier or difficult as they are just different worlds.

The "Jump into any historical figure" isn't a part of the world. It is completely separate from the world that is being created but is enforced because of a check you made during generation.

This is becoming a argument sink, so I won't post anymore on this subject.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:54:49 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 748