Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805485 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7845 on: October 25, 2013, 04:12:40 am »

I have had once a golden spear which was stolen, and my fortress wasn't troubled a lot. But I always my pop under 50 so not a good example...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: October 25, 2013, 09:04:50 am »

That's what I'm saying. They already bite you in the ass because their creators go berserk. World gen continuing wouldn't make stolen artifacts bite you in the ass any more than they already do, because the people who steal them can't exactly do anything with them but sell them or keep them.

So no appropriately armed elite kobold thieves? I hope enemy looting goes in some day.

Artifact weapons and armor are very, very rare compared to other artifacts, and if one gets stolen, your fort likely won't survive the tantrum spiral to see whoever might use them anyway.

We don't even know that tantrum spirals will still be a thing after the personality rewrite  :D
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: October 25, 2013, 09:11:53 am »

We may even get some other kind of spirals, who knows. There will still be tantrumming dwarves and those starting a fist fight are likely to do non-lethal combat now (though indirect death from injuries or accidents could still happen).

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7848 on: October 25, 2013, 11:07:14 am »

Can you run into other adventurers? Can they recruit you? On a possibly related note, can you conscript followers? Given our new-found vulnerability to numberless hordes, will world gen adventurers have companions or royal guards etc?

Now that there are plans to slow skill growth, will long-lived and otherwise extraordinary creatures use different metrics entirely?
A 300 year old elf's sword-fighting prowess matched against a 130 year old mercenary vampire's axeman-ship couldn't be reached by a human legend, not to mention the difficulties in comparing the two combatants.

Will we have abstract control over hill dwarf settlements layout? If we do get some kind of united expansive fortress, will we be able to change which part we directly control?
Sounds similar to next door retirements and reclaims as you offered in the DF talk, theoretically.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:03:46 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:54 am »

We may even get some other kind of spirals, who knows.
Bring on the party spiral?

Will there be more social effects of having artifacts being successfully completed by a dwarf? For instance, they might become more prominent and well-liked members of society after having made one, or become feared and disliked after making one with a fell or macabre mood.

Might have been asked already, I suppose - apologies if so. I'm curious as to the answer either way though.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7850 on: October 25, 2013, 01:15:03 pm »

We may even get some other kind of spirals, who knows.

HAPPINESS SPIRAL
CREATIVITY SPIRAL
SPIRAL ENERGY
DRUNKENESS SOBRIETY SPIRAL
POWERTHIRST ALL CAPS SPIRAL
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:31:04 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: October 25, 2013, 02:35:48 pm »

Can you run into other adventurers? Can they recruit you? On a possibly related note, can you conscript followers? Given our new-found vulnerability to numberless hordes, will world gen adventurers have companions or royal guards etc?

None of those have been mentioned specifically by Toady yet.  A couple, such as conscription, have been implied as being part of Inn/Tavern development, but, as usual, no timeline.

Will we have abstract control over hill dwarf settlements layout? If we do get some kind of united expansive fortress, will we be able to change which part we directly control? Sounds similar to next door retirements and reclaims as you offered in the DF talk, theoretically.

Toady has stated that our interaction with sub-sites will be rather limited in this initial release.  It will be less of abstract control, and more like indirect influence.  By that I mean, we won't be able to order 40 barrels of whip wine a year and wait for the eventual delivery.  But the population, strength, defensibility, wealth, etc. of our main fortress will/may influence factors that play rise and fall to components of our outlying linked sites.  Also, Toady has said that in the medium to far-medium future, we will not be able to play as Hill Dwarf or Deep Dwarf sites, so directly controlling the floor plan of their sites is RIGHT OUT!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: October 25, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »

You can always use DFhacks embark everywhere to embark on a hill dwarf or deep dwarf site.

As an actual game mechanic though, I doubt we'd ever be able to directly control the floor plan of such sites. Nothing stopping you from building your fort like a hill dwarf or deep dwarf site though.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7853 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »

None of those have been mentioned specifically by Toady yet.  A couple, such as conscription, have been implied as being part of Inn/Tavern development, but, as usual, no timeline.

Will we have abstract control over hill dwarf settlements layout? If we do get some kind of united expansive fortress, will we be able to change which part we directly control? Sounds similar to next door retirements and reclaims as you offered in the DF talk, theoretically.

Toady has stated that our interaction with sub-sites will be rather limited in this initial release.  It will be less of abstract control, and more like indirect influence.  By that I mean, we won't be able to order 40 barrels of whip wine a year and wait for the eventual delivery.  But the population, strength, defensibility, wealth, etc. of our main fortress will/may influence factors that play rise and fall to components of our outlying linked sites.  Also, Toady has said that in the medium to far-medium future, we will not be able to play as Hill Dwarf or Deep Dwarf sites, so directly controlling the floor plan of their sites is RIGHT OUT!

And so i would have it. It would be nice if the competence of your leaders dictates how much influence you have over your periphery's. Thanks for both replies.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: October 26, 2013, 02:00:08 pm »

The new personality changes look like they'd be great for succession games with narratives.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: October 26, 2013, 06:03:07 pm »

Even with embark anywhere, you may still not get the whole site, since they will likely exceed 17x17, as hamlets do currently.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7856 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:03 am »

I'm surprised that the whole week went by without a devlog entry.  Hope everything's okay.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: October 28, 2013, 12:55:12 am »

Quote from: from tomorrow's devlog
Sorry for the lack of updates this week. Scamps ascended to a higher plane of existence, so we're still dealing with some of the side effects from that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7858 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18:17 am »

If Stargate is any indication, that kind of thing is totally safe, and he'll be back to our plane in no time.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7859 on: October 28, 2013, 04:44:07 am »

Hopefully there wont be to many memory loss issues when they come back.
Pages: 1 ... 522 523 [524] 525 526 ... 748