Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806843 times)

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7005 on: July 03, 2013, 12:50:58 am »

Just let it go already.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: July 03, 2013, 01:04:06 am »

Quote from: My Name is Immaterial
Judging from the blog, its just bug fixes before release? Or are you just on an extermination spree? If not, whats left?

I'd prefer not to get pinned to a countdown of a specific list, since that hasn't worked out well in the past.  There's still a lot left to do.  Dwarf sites are a good chunk of it, and I still have to resolve refugees.  And all sorts of other things.

Emphasis mine, of course. Also that post you mention ALSO said that one of the items unexpectedly took him a week, and the others were being done at the 5-10/day rate, which is why the list itself is not a perfect measure of "is it done yet." Not to mention the list itself probably contains spoilers of various descriptions, making it unsuitable for public release. And if I were in Toady's shoes, I know I'd rather be badgered about "show us the list" posts than "why aren't you done yet, this list looks easy!" type comments.
Emphasis mine, of course. Also that post you mention ALSO said that one of the items unexpectedly took him a week, and the others were being done at the 5-10/day rate, which is why the list itself is not a perfect measure of "is it done yet."
There is no perfect measure, but that doesn't mean there's no good in an imperfect measure. There's inaccuracy in every measurement ever.

To reiterate, I'd prefer a tentative date that is way underestimated, than no date at all. For example, I'm happy Toady announced in December that he envisioned the release being in march, even though that didn't happen. It's not like Toady got a bunch of hate mail at the end of march for not releasing. There were some people saying that they don't want to start a new game, because they felt release was coming soon, but that seemed to happen even right after Toady announced that he took a month to do 20% of what remains for the release. Though I do think having a tentative date would decrease the amount of people doing that prematurely.

September 16, 2013 at 2:35:40 A.M Pacific Standard Time.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: July 03, 2013, 01:50:49 am »

Judging from the blog, its just bug fixes before release? Or are you just on an extermination spree? If not, whats left?

I'd prefer not to get pinned to a countdown of a specific list, since that hasn't worked out well in the past.  There's still a lot left to do.  Dwarf sites are a good chunk of it, and I still have to resolve refugees.  And all sorts of other things.

Emphasis mine, of course. Also that post you mention ALSO said that one of the items unexpectedly took him a week, and the others were being done at the 5-10/day rate, which is why the list itself is not a perfect measure of "is it done yet." Not to mention the list itself probably contains spoilers of various descriptions, making it unsuitable for public release. And if I were in Toady's shoes, I know I'd rather be badgered about "show us the list" posts than "why aren't you done yet, this list looks easy!" type comments.
Emphasis mine, of course. Also that post you mention ALSO said that one of the items unexpectedly took him a week, and the others were being done at the 5-10/day rate, which is why the list itself is not a perfect measure of "is it done yet."
There is no perfect measure, but that doesn't mean there's no good in an imperfect measure. There's inaccuracy in every measurement ever.

To reiterate, I'd prefer a tentative date that is way underestimated, than no date at all. For example, I'm happy Toady announced in December that he envisioned the release being in march, even though that didn't happen. It's not like Toady got a bunch of hate mail at the end of march for not releasing. There were some people saying that they don't want to start a new game, because they felt release was coming soon, but that seemed to happen even right after Toady announced that he took a month to do 20% of what remains for the release. Though I do think having a tentative date would decrease the amount of people doing that prematurely.

Annnnnnnndddddd... pacified.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:52 am »

Joke though it is, that would be brilliant. My birthday. :D
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

aadeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: July 03, 2013, 03:37:13 am »

Will/does brain damage ever cause behavioral changes, or is anything touching the brain instant death? I'm thinking concussions causing TBI or even cases like Phineas Gage could change mental attributes.
"talk is cheap, but letters you have to hit them on the buttons" -Capntastic

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: July 03, 2013, 04:08:38 am »

Like what ? Dwarves suddenly speaking with an elfic accent ?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: July 03, 2013, 04:35:23 am »

The kinestetic sense flies off in an arc!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: July 03, 2013, 05:06:33 am »

IIRC, this is a PBNT*

*Planned-but-no-timeline.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:59 am »

There are a couple of threads around discussing a creature, dwarf or otherwise, surviving a "dented brain".  The dented gray matter doesn't currently seem to have any ill effect.  As it stands, the brain is the "thought center" but isn't "functional".  So basically, as long as it's still there and not spewing a pressurized fountain of blood, you're fine.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:49 am »

Are we going to get refugees in fortress mode in the coming release? For example "some refugees from Headshoots have arrived"? If so will the bug that slows down fortress migration when the units count gets large (between 2000-3000 total units, including dead units) be fixed?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: July 04, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »

Are we going to get refugees in fortress mode in the coming release? For example "some refugees from Headshoots have arrived"? If so will the bug that slows down fortress migration when the units count gets large (between 2000-3000 total units, including dead units) be fixed?
One doesn't require the other. And any questions regarding bugs has the guarantee answered, "Yea, we'll get to that bug eventually."
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: July 04, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »

I would assume that refugee situations are more likely with the appearance and functional development of hillocks and deep sites. Emphasis given to the functional part, Toady has said that the next release will not see a working relationship between our fortresses and the attached sites, at least not beyond these appearing thanks to the fort. So, not in the next release, at least.

Also, there have been godly comments about working on multiracial fortresses while doing taverns and inns; how exactly is this going to happen, and how relationships between dwarven civilizations and other sentient races will change at that point, is pretty much unknown.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: July 05, 2013, 07:53:07 pm »

[This may have already been asked/answered, so I apologize]

We know that goblins will now occupy human sites, and can be driven off with your help, but do goblins occupy other sapient sites? Do other races have a similar ability to occupy?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: July 05, 2013, 08:36:58 pm »

We know that goblins will now occupy human sites, and can be driven off with your help, but do goblins occupy other sapient sites? Do other races have a similar ability to occupy?
It was answered, and yes, they will occupy other sites.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: July 07, 2013, 02:53:49 am »

This is more of a question for modders than Toady. Vermin can be treated as items, IIRC. Bee breath is now viable?
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 748