Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806797 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6915 on: June 24, 2013, 12:48:13 pm »

Clearly, the best defense in to require each goblin soldier to individually go through a gauntlet of boss battles to get into the fort. Might be a bit tricky, though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:57 pm »

And, like any self respecting video game nemesis, you must continually incentivise the assaulting party(ies) to continue their assault, keep the story on the rails (actual rail shooter levels optional) and be sure to provide curiously overpowered bonuses at the end of each carefully planned chapter of your ingress progression.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: June 24, 2013, 05:31:11 pm »

And, just when they feel victory is assured, drop a treasure chest full of magma on their heads.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: June 24, 2013, 06:48:28 pm »

I fucking love this forum.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: June 24, 2013, 11:14:29 pm »

new dev long, that exploration makes me squirm in anticipation. darn it toady

How are you so awesome, and are goblin sites reachable from within the caverns, for example if i entered a cave or a goblin side and made it down to the first layer, would i be able to travel to another goblin site if i explored for long enough?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: June 24, 2013, 11:48:30 pm »

How are you so awesome, and are goblin sites reachable from within the caverns, for example if i entered a cave or a goblin side and made it down to the first layer, would i be able to travel to another goblin site if i explored for long enough?

I'm fairly certain that would be the case.
Not only gobbos, but deep dwarves sites are prolly to be the case as well.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: June 25, 2013, 01:20:13 am »

I'm fairly certain that would be the case.
Not only gobbos, but deep dwarves sites are prolly to be the case as well.

I don't think so, at least for deep dwarves. I remember reading somewhere¹ that the deep dwarves sites will be more or less "horizontal" and very ample, and not the deep, vertical, carved "tower-holes" that fortresses are. They'll probably look more like underground human villages or towns, with a cluster of little carved out quarters and large mushroom fields all in the same z-level.  In fact, I'm not even sure if world gen dwarf fortresses will reach the first cavern layers, but I guess we can now assume this will be likely knowing that goblin fortresses will be generated that way.

¹Citation Needed. Sorry, I'm too tired and too lazy to look for one.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:18 am »

Toady mentioned entering the first natural cavern layer (and back into a different part of the goblin site) in the dev log, so goblins are reachable this way. Dwarven deep sites are indicated to be in the caverns in DF Talk #20 ("And then there's the deep dwarf sites down in the caverns which will have their vast plump helmet fields, that kind of thing ... and some industry.") and the dev log from last November (" Deep sites claim areas much larger than forts (the size of human towns in the current version -- up to 17x17 embark tiles), and a lot of this will probably be devoted to farms in the cavern layers, but I'm hoping for something reasonably different from a human village underground.").

There's also this quote from this thread:
Quote from: CaptainArchmage
In which cavern layers are the deep sites going to be?

Right now I've got forts going from the surface down to the magma and deep sites up in the first layer.  Currently the thinking is to reserve the secret stuff for the forts (not just player ones, but that special category of site), which are also better armed for dealing with deeper troubles from layers two and three.  It'll be fine to make deep sites more interesting over time, but I also don't want to smear things too much, especially since they aren't reclaimable -- this makes keeping the most interesting stuff in forts more important.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: June 25, 2013, 06:03:21 am »

PRAISE THE TOAD!!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: June 25, 2013, 07:09:03 am »

ALL PRAISE TO HIM!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: June 25, 2013, 07:38:47 am »

Waterways - are you referring to water storage and plumbing in goblin towers, or normal lakes in the caverns, or are there now rivers in the caverns?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:56 am »

I'd love to see underground rivers back, but I think Toady made it pretty clear in the devlog that he was maneuvering around standard cavern pools.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:06 am »

All glory to the hypnotoad!
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: June 25, 2013, 03:57:07 pm »

I'd love to see underground rivers back, but I think Toady made it pretty clear in the devlog that he was maneuvering around standard cavern pools.

Which makes me ask another question - Does this mean that the weird generation of cavern layers has been resolved, as now you will find large hollow areas instead of the usual tiny, yet very tall passageways wrapping around chunks of rock?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »

It's not a bug, it's your world settings. There's "Cavern Passage Density Min/Max" and "Cavern Openness Min/Max". You can adjust for desired cave shape.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 748