Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807206 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6855 on: June 20, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of adamantine seals or finding special fortresses?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: June 20, 2013, 01:51:35 pm »

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of adamantine seals or finding special fortresses?
Oh my Armok, first carp, and now he's adding metallic sealions?!

Sorry. I couldn't resist the horrible pun.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:13 pm »

Hell is somewhat of a extra dimensional location in the not so distant future. So I guess it is possible for Goblins to penetrate hell but not provide an ample gateway out. It does leave gaping plot holes but then again Toady loves Plot holes!

Though to my knowledge you can get lava before the hell layer.

Hmm though

Yo Toady, right now Demon escape is pretty much extrapolated. In the future what will be the more intricate ways demons will escape to darken the doorway of Midgard?

written badly for your pleasure... I think...

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: June 20, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »

Well, since goblins apparently originated from hell, maybe these breaches in the underworld lead to a more goblin dominated, "civilized" area. Or civilized enough where another demon can't just fly up and flee easily.

I always assumed demon fortresses were actually dwarf forts that dug a bit too deep.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:21:07 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: June 20, 2013, 02:24:02 pm »

Ninja'd by Witty

Well, goblin sites reaching all the way to hell could mean 3 things:

1) Due to magical generating algorithms, they just construct down through magma and SMR as if it were normal stone.

2) Some of their sites reach down into an already present demon fortress

3) They dig in through adamantine veins, giving their troops adamantine weapons yet not leading to the destruction of their settlement through demonic invaders, negating any advantage dwarves might have in taking the risk to mine adamantine.

I'm hoping it's just #2

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: June 20, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »

Wait, are goblin sites getting direct access to the HFS? "Places down below"?
I don't see how Toady remark could mean goblin settlements reaching HSF. I bet he meant "below places where magma appears". Not neccesairly magma sea. Arent ya all jumping to conclusions...
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: June 20, 2013, 02:28:22 pm »

Well, maybe a little. It could mean HFS but not necessarily. We're just discussing the possibility.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: June 20, 2013, 02:33:33 pm »

Wait, are goblin sites getting direct access to the HFS? "Places down below"?
I don't see how Toady remark could mean goblin settlements reaching HSF. I bet he meant "below places where magma appears". Not necessarily magma sea. Aren't ya all jumping to conclusions...

Well, he did kinda hint at it in the latest dev log

Quote from: Toady
In any case, I've manually walked a character from the top of the tallest towers down to... well, wherever they go
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:37 pm »

Heck, when he said he "handled their possible connections to things down below," I figured he was deliberately making sure they don't breach HFS. I bet that, at most, they connect to the Curious Structures, and aren't those full of undead? Undead that murder all living things, including goblins?

Whether the Demon Sites make breaches, well, that will have to wait for some brave adventurer to find out.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »

Now perhaps clowns aren't just evil in a can but more malevolent entities that have more griping over the world via Goblin towers, utilizing them and it's occupants as base of operations and minions.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: June 20, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »

Hell is somewhat of a extra dimensional location in the not so distant future. So I guess it is possible for Goblins to penetrate hell but not provide an ample gateway out. It does leave gaping plot holes but then again Toady loves Plot holes!

Though to my knowledge you can get lava before the hell layer.

Hmm though

Yo Toady, right now Demon escape is pretty much extrapolated. In the future what will be the more intricate ways demons will escape to darken the doorway of Midgard?

written badly for your pleasure... I think...

Toady kind of hinted that the demon sites that monk12 mentioned in his last post may at least be the first step in that regard. DF Talk 19 has a bit about that.
Rainseeker:   An option is to have them stay at the dwarven site and establish a larger apocalyptic staging ground for ...
Toady:   Yeah. The hole is still there. It's something that we're having to come to terms with, with our current demons and goblins as well. In the currently released version, in world gen the demon 'escapes from the underworld'. That has certain implications, right, about existing holes and stuff. So we're messing around with that, trying to come up with some different solutions that meter the flow, so having the demon in control of a portal, for instance. In a lot of Threetoe's stories the goblins are from the underworld, so I think we're going to relate that to it, to make it have more of a goblinesque feel for the current portal that the demon's controlling, so it doesn't just pour through with demons. We already have these giant spires down in the underworld that were filled with demons, but perhaps they'll be filled with goblins, they're, kind of, bastions from the demons or something like that. We're just playing around with different stuff, we'll see what happens.
Rainseeker:   You could have, like, the old impermanent portal that opens up once every hundred years, lets critters through and then closes again, and you have that problem on the world every hundred years or so.
Toady:   Yeah. We need to find a solution that recover from the depredations of the player. It's, like, if you manage to call of them they need to come back. Of course it can just wing it and open another one, or something, if it really needs to, or you can have the peace that you've fought for and get bored to death and get to your mundane quests, right? You'd be moving pastries around until the next portal opens.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: June 20, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »

Now perhaps clowns aren't just evil in a can but more malevolent entities that have more griping over the world via Goblin towers, utilizing them and it's occupants as base of operations and minions.

They were always supposed to be, since 40d Goblin civs would have a Demon (the type that was just called "Demon", ie the fireball-throwing "boss" Demon that you would get 1 of along with the 30-40 of another type when you breached the old adamantine chambers) as their civ leader. It could even show up in sieges if you kicked their asses enough that they felt like they had to send it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: June 20, 2013, 08:33:03 pm »

Where do the languages and proper names, not nick-names, come from?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: June 20, 2013, 08:34:19 pm »

Where do the languages and proper names, not nick-names, come from?
Those are randomly generated with some manual tweaking to avoid cusses.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: June 21, 2013, 03:16:31 am »

Actually he just removed most of the nasty curse words.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 748