Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806948 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6075 on: April 17, 2013, 07:32:05 pm »

If you were an adventure mode vampire for a few years, given that it is possible for dead to now be entombed during play (I think), could you recruit a mummy of someone who knew and liked you during life?
I asked about entombing earlier, and no, that won't happen. You also won't get more vampire/werebeast curses or necromancers. Eventually, everything that happens in world gen will happen in play, but right now it's still sketchy.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:47 pm »

If you were an adventure mode vampire for a few years, given that it is possible for dead to now be entombed during play (I think), could you recruit a mummy of someone who knew and liked you during life?

Vampires/necromancers are able to recruit mummys in the current version. However iirc you need to either have high social stats or get be famous with its civ to be able to convince them to follow you. They make pretty great allies because they auto-raise any corpses in the area. Walking through a large city with a Mummy and +300 zombies in tow is quality entertainment, at least until the zombie loyalty cascade starts that is...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: April 18, 2013, 07:44:21 am »

Oooh!  I've never seen a zombie loyalty cascade!  Please tell me there are vids.  This sounds like quality entertainment.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6078 on: April 18, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »

You mentioned that combat state can be adjusted in the arena now.  How many combat states are there?  If someone punches you, how much of an escalation is it to hit them with, say, a training sword?  Or the skull of a dragon you killed?

On a loosely related note, if someone attacks you with a sword and you fight back empty-handed, do you have a chance of lowering the combat state, or alternatively, scaring your attacker with this show of confidence?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: April 18, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

Oooh!  I've never seen a zombie loyalty cascade!  Please tell me there are vids.  This sounds like quality entertainment.

It's actually a rather annoying 'feature' that can happen both on zombies that have been around for some time and zombies that are freshly raised. I've actually had necromancer adventurers killed as a result of raising something that turned out to be very very hostile when I was already engaged in battle.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: April 20, 2013, 09:55:43 am »

Toady, I don't know if you read every single reply you get here and I did not want to spam your email in box...

But I have been watching the front page every few days and seeing the progress updates you are posting. The idea's you've been implementing.

YOU AND YOUR GAME ARE FRIKKIN AWESOME. The best. THANK YOU! Super excited about the next release =)
I voted for BANANA!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6081 on: April 20, 2013, 11:03:45 am »

Toady, I don't know if you read every single reply you get here and I did not want to spam your email in box...

But I have been watching the front page every few days and seeing the progress updates you are posting. The idea's you've been implementing.

YOU AND YOUR GAME ARE FRIKKIN AWESOME. The best. THANK YOU! Super excited about the next release =)

So say we all.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nimbby

• Bay Watcher
  • One of Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: April 20, 2013, 02:36:38 pm »

This is just a question for anyone willing to answer: has Toady stated whether or not mega-beasts can claim settlements if they rampage there during world gen?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: April 20, 2013, 03:08:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure he hasn't talked about that, but I highly doubt that megabeasts will be laying claim to sites they destroy this release, and if they ever do they probably won't do so except in special cases.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: April 20, 2013, 03:16:33 pm »

Almost definitely not for this release (I think only entities lay claims for that one, but don't quote me on that). However, it is a plan for the future that (semi)megabeasts should be able to share "villain" behaviors where appropriate - so beastlike dragon like we currently have might only claim a site as the new place for its hoard, but an ettin might well do it for worldly power or even religious/mythical reasons.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: April 20, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »

I'd definitely like it if creatures other than demons took control of civs. Powerful creatures can rule through intimidation, and sneaky ones through guile and intrigue. I imagine that'll be easier for Toady to do once he's gotten acts of villainy standardized.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: April 20, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »

I could see an ettin ruling a village by sitting in the nearby fort and demanding tribute, but somehow I doubt they'd be smart enough to rule a city or country. The larger the populace, the little pure strength matters.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: April 20, 2013, 04:37:09 pm »

How will you handle telling us what's happened when reclaiming a fort? Will we have to rely on engravings, the moods and history's of the dwarfs, etc? I was espousing the idea of setting it to procedurally generated music :P. Would, once taverns get into the picture, reminiscing there-in and other opportunities we set up act as ways of learning the history we've missed? Will outstanding monsters and bandit's remain a problem?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: April 20, 2013, 04:56:56 pm »

How will you handle telling us what's happened when reclaiming a fort? Will we have to rely on engravings, the moods and history's of the dwarfs, etc? I was espousing the idea of setting it to procedurally generated music :P. Would, once taverns get into the picture, reminiscing there-in and other opportunities we set up act as ways of learning the history we've missed? Will outstanding monsters and bandit's remain a problem?

Right now it's assumed to be a briefing text, not unlike the one that appears in the beginning of every fortress, so you get a more-or-less clear idea of your scenario. Toady hasn't told us anything about what are the dwarfs doing once we retire our player fortress, or if they have some tendency to engrave their most important shenanigans; if that's so, then the question remains where in the fortress, or if they're designating some area just for historic purposes, like a "captain's log" room.

Getting those questions answered (and only if they need some sort of answer) is pretty feasible in adventure mode, so that we're encouraged to play both modes in tandem.

As of taverns, nothing has been said yet, but it would be not only a source of history, but also a mean to know about far-to-reach places and getting knowledge of the current world affairs. Maybe genning a world without revealing its history could be a doable challenge.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: April 21, 2013, 10:39:10 am »

Right now it's assumed to be a briefing text, not unlike the one that appears in the beginning of every fortress, so you get a more-or-less clear idea of your scenario. Toady hasn't told us anything about what are the dwarfs doing once we retire our player fortress, or if they have some tendency to engrave their most important shenanigans; if that's so, then the question remains where in the fortress, or if they're designating some area just for historic purposes, like a "captain's log" room.

Getting those questions answered (and only if they need some sort of answer) is pretty feasible in adventure mode, so that we're encouraged to play both modes in tandem.

As of taverns, nothing has been said yet, but it would be not only a source of history, but also a mean to know about far-to-reach places and getting knowledge of the current world affairs. Maybe genning a world without revealing its history could be a doable challenge.

You know what would be even better?
Building a tavern yourself. (that other people will recognize as such and visit)

It requires Fortress mode skills incorporated into Adventure mode, which I hope is gonna be a thing soon. (relatively soon, at least - ie. the next update AFTER this one)
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 748