Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807291 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5970 on: April 08, 2013, 04:27:05 am »

Which is precisely why I suggest the term mangled over pulped. It's closer to what Toady has described.

This man speaks sense. Toady's already had to put energy into explaining what pulping isn't as far as DF is concerned, simply because of the term.

Now, entirely unrelated...

Toady, regarding elves. Do you and Threetoe envisage that they will have physical characteristics adapted to an arboreal live-style beyond what normal humans have? Random examples of what I mean: claws to grab onto bark, ball and socket wrist joints like a gibbon, prehensile tails, whatever. Or in your minds are their adaptions to living in trees entirely the engineered or magical structures they have in the trees (like ladders, houses, sentient vines that reach down to lift them up when required, whatever)? From what I can tell their only current physical advantage over humans for living in trees is their lighter weight. Do you imagine that will change?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:36 am »

I agree "mangled" is probably a better term. Might be other good words to be found in a thesaurus to convey gross injury of the sort. Looking, "mutilated" also seems appropriate.

On elves, I typically imagine the forest types as shaping trees through magic or careful cultivation to create stairs, ladders, and the like. Alternatively, "high elves" would probably add on artsy spiral staircases made of mithril or whatever so they can show off their workmanship and ascend in a dignified manner, rather than stooping to climb like an animal or worse, a lowly human. Defensively, I can see them joining multiple trees with walkways, limiting the easy ground access points, forcing invaders to climb the hard way. Yet another alternative that comes to mind is the use of flying mounts to get into the trees.

Of course, if Toady prefers pointy-eared Tarzans, it's his game and setting.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: April 08, 2013, 08:12:31 pm »

*Notes that "lowly humans" are taller than all elfs :D

Animalistic clawed monkey elves sounds too... un-elfish. Probably ladders and good ol' fashioned hominid tree scrambling. Homo Sapiens isn't that bad when it comes to climbing things. Better than the vast majority of other vertebrates, to be sure, especially with a little training, so add human-shaped to natural elven grace and agility, and you'd have pretty decent tree-climbers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: April 08, 2013, 08:41:08 pm »

I feel like "mutilated" might be a better term, as "mangled" used to be what we called red wounds back in 40d. Er, get off my lawn, etc.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: April 08, 2013, 09:19:15 pm »

"Mutilated" to me sounds like maybe their nose got cut off, while "mangled" to sounds like they got their arm caught between gears in industrial machinery.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5975 on: April 08, 2013, 09:30:05 pm »

Pulping was never going to be an in-game word, if that's what this discussion is about.  It's just my dev term and the name of the flag.  I think I didn't think of mangled in part because I see a limb with flayed muscle as mangled even if it isn't broken to the point of non-animation, and partially because of what monk12 brought up (it is a "red wound" from the old game).  "Mangled" is a fine word though, and I'm going to use it on a provisional basis for the bodies.  Combat itself will be more flowery.  "Pulp" was possibly going to come up depending on how far along the flesh-slurrying-ness was going to go, but it didn't come up.

"Mutilated" is already used in game to describe corpses with missing parts.  That didn't get at whether or not a body can be raised, and that's confused now by the pulping of parts.  In order to aid adventure mode necromancers and people in dwarf mode managing body piles, I went ahead with "mangled" for damaged, unanimatable corpses.  So you can raise a "mutilated corpse", which might be missing an arm or something, but you can't raise a "mangled hand".  If the corpse is also missing body parts, it can be mutilated as well...  so you can have a "rotten mangled mutilated human corpse", he he he.  Or was it mutilated then mangled?  I don't remember now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:21 pm »

You could use something like "Devastated" to get away from the alliteration.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:13 pm »

"Mezbuth McMarksdwarf was mauled by the many mutilated mangled monkey mummies, in Mastermourn, the goblin monolith"

Edit: Hey, wait, how would you get a mangled mummy?

In terms of the usability of mangled bodies, does ressurection follow a different rule than raising? Or is a mangled corpse beyond being ressurected as well?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:14:41 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: April 09, 2013, 12:25:11 am »

I imagine mummies and husks will still be significantly physically tougher than zombies. Someone could conceivably sustain damage that would make their corpse unusable, yet survive long enough to get husked. And that is terrifying indeed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:51 pm »

Or Destroyed, which would be a clear way of showing that something can't be raised.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5980 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:56 pm »

Something doesn't sound quite right about that, though. Those are more item or architecture adjectives. "Devasted" limb sounds pretty cheesy. "Ahg, my leg! You destroyed it!" Doesn't sound right, does it? Mangled is perfect, and I can't recall anywhere it's used in the current release.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5981 on: April 09, 2013, 03:33:59 pm »

I think "mangled beyond recognition" would be a good way to describe it, especially in a wound listing ("His hand is mangled beyond recognition").

edit: parentheses, what are they good for?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:18:34 pm by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5982 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:13 pm »

Toady, what are your thoughts on making us able to self mutilate as a way of getting rid of deadly infections

All this mangling is only going to make your adventurer look even more silly for not being able to cut off festering, pus producing disfigured appendages that will obviously lead him to certain death. While amputation isn't a guaranteed solution, it's still better than doing nothing...

Maybe it's going to be introduced when medical skills are advanced and incorporated into adventure mode. Do surgeons amputate limbs in dwarf mode right now? I don't think it's done even there.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5983 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:39 pm »

That would be cool. I guess how much will and pain tolerance you have determines whether or not you cut off your necrotising finger, or pass out halfway through, leaving a larger wound leading to further infection :D

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5984 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:53 pm »

Besides pulping, are we going to be able to do anything to prevent corpses in sarcophagi from raising with the regional effects?

This Hydra test, does that involve the hydra regrowing heads?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 748