Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805853 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5790 on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:00 pm »

Killed both nobles, back to work you louts! Politics is no excuse to shirk hauling duty!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:21 am »

"Urist McHammerer has claimed the throne!"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:05 am »

Will the new succession for dead kings, etc, result in 'factions' forming within your fortress? E.g., half the population wants Urist McBaron to be king, and the other half wants Urist McMayor to be king. Will the player be able to directly influence the decisions?
Could this, in extreme cases, result in civil war within the fortress?

I think it would be pretty cool to have a popup saying "Urist McBaron has declared war upon Urist McMayor and his supporters!" and the player can choose whether to support the baron or the mayor, and have the other side marked as Rebels. Or maybe he could control the whole population in a fort-wide loyalty-cascade.
Nopes.
But this is the ground work for that stuff.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: March 26, 2013, 12:28:56 pm »

Will there be support for ways, preferably in-game, of influencing your retired fortress sometime down the line? Up too and including, once it's properly done, what to do on a war footing or your stance on adventurer's? I'll be honest with you, this stems from a desire to expand the possibilities of succession forts. Passing along a world with your fort rather then vice versa has so many possibilities. I could truly appreciate the evil overlord list.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: March 26, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »

With the new inheritance rules will Baron etc and King be replaced in a fortress if they die?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: March 27, 2013, 02:20:27 am »

With the new inheritance rules will Baron etc and King be replaced in a fortress if they die?
The short answer to this is almost definitely "yes", but I'd like to get a bit more info on how exactly it will go down too.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: March 27, 2013, 07:59:40 am »

Depending upon how that works, it may be more complicated choosing whom to appoint as your Baron going forward.  Gone may be the days of picking a Fish Dissector with no ambitions who likes wood, buckets and cows for their haunting moos.  You may be in trouble when this Baron suffers an "unfortunate accident" and his cousin comes into the Barony, enjoying such things as Yellow Diamond, Windows, Blow Guns and Giant Loach Man Tripe.  They may well begin appreciating Magma until you inherit a suitable replacement.

On a related note, if we get this type of familial inheritance to on-site nobles, will off-site family be suitable candidates?  If so, will we be guaranteed their arrival on-site within X migration waves, or a special migration wave?

Please ready the Incoming Noble Quarantine Initiative Honored Citizens Reception and Enculturalization Suite.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: March 27, 2013, 11:54:56 am »

will off-site family be suitable candidates?  If so, will we be guaranteed their arrival on-site within X migration waves, or a special migration wave?

If we do, that would be an excellent reason for dwarves angered at being governed by outsiders to commit crimes.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

I couldn't help be bothered by the fact that finished player fortresses contribute absurdly massive amounts of data to the filesize of a world region folder. What is up with that? Is it a coding oversight or an unavoidable side-effect of being able to store player-created (non-seed generated) fortresses?
Quoting myself because of something weird I've just noticed. Apparently, visiting these abandoned fortresses with an adventurer seems to reverse the size increase somehow (I just watched a pocket world drop from 270mb to 150mb to after visiting two fortresses, and all the way down to 26.4mb after visiting the rest), so the problem isn't as bad as I had thought. I'm still curious how 8 fortresses can near-double the datacost of a large world, though.

Are post-player fortresses not automatically being packed away or something? :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:54:34 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: March 27, 2013, 04:07:05 pm »

Toady mentioned before that information about fortresses is altered in some way for adventure mode visitors, so that probably accounts for your observations. They might not work the same way in the new version.

Quote from: Toady One on 12/03/2012
I talked to my first retired fortress citizen yesterday, and I also went ahead with the unretirement of retired player forts. I expressed some misgivings about fort unretirement in the last Future of the Fortress post, and we'll see how it works out. The main issues are information that is altered for the adventure mode visitor and information that is just lost entirely during the retirement process. It isn't as big a deal when you reclaim a ruined fort, since you expect some rebuilding, but it might be more jarring when the reclaimed fort was left alive. The info in question includes room information, military stuff, burrows, that kind of thing. Theoretically we should be able to keep much more of it, but having an adventurer running around killing dwarves and stealing items could be disruptive.

Quote from: Toady One on  12/15/2012
I'm still working on unretiring forts. AS I mentioned before, there's quite a bit of information that used to be removed, and it wasn't all lost at the same point, so some of the pieces are harder to find than others, and some of it is not easily maintainable with intervening adventure visits. Next up are pet information and stockpile data. It's difficult to predict how long it'll take overall.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5800 on: March 27, 2013, 08:33:48 pm »

Are there plans to allow active forts to decide to sever ties with their original mountainhomes, and form more agreements with foreign and their own civs, such as military assistance, joining a civilization, decisions affecting political standing of dwarves and entities, etc?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:04 pm »

Are there plans to allow active forts to decide to sever ties with their original mountainhomes, and form more agreements with foreign and their own civs, such as military assistance, joining a civilization, decisions affecting political standing of dwarves and entities, etc?

If so, my first succession game will be reborn, the original intent possible!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: March 28, 2013, 03:42:37 am »

Yay new Blog post.

With the new adjustments to the combat, have the sieges become relatively harder or easier? Do the besiegers have any new tricks up their sleeves? Will armies retreat when bested and route back off-site to fight another day? Has the Flier pathing been fixed, so they cannot be stopped with a moat and a bridge?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 03:56:03 am by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5803 on: March 28, 2013, 06:03:25 am »

Oh man, I reached the stage again of where I am not sure whether to start a new fort or not because of the soon to be released update.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: March 28, 2013, 06:11:04 am »

Yay new Blog post.

Do the besiegers have any new tricks up their sleeves? Will armies retreat when bested and route back off-site to fight another day? Has the Flier pathing been fixed, so they cannot be stopped with a moat and a bridge?

No.

None of those things are touched upon adding in new reactions or adding in none lethal combat.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 [387] 388 389 ... 748