Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807366 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5220 on: February 05, 2013, 04:08:27 pm »

Speaking of re-wording a question... I actually have re-thought my previously rethought question once again, and want to ask it a different way (or rather, a two-part way).

Currently, in Adventure Mode, when I fire a crossbow, it basically means that I'm going to completely lose control of combat for a dozen or so turns.  Everything happens without me being able to even see what is going on, much less react.  (Which doesn't mean much now, but when we get into a mode where we can command our followers, having a commander out of combat for a dozen turns causes problems...) In some cases, I can fire a bolt only to get half a dozen pages of combat reports, and see one unit dead and three others critically wounded with no particular clue as to how things got that way aside from an overly-technical and not-particularly-helpful combat report.  (Which only gives information on actual wounds, not where everyone was, or which alligator was inflicting them.)  Sometimes, a character has fled from combat or fallen into a ravine, and I have no idea where they went.

How will "turns" take place when players can use abilities that take dozens of normal turns?  Will we be able to cancel out of actions or give orders to followers during long wind-ups?

Conversely, what about "held" actions, like a snake coiled and waiting to strike, a crocodile waiting at the water's edge for an ambush, or a thief waiting to pounce on a passerby from hiding, with some sort of wind-up already taken place, and an action primed to go? Will there be a way for "turns" to take place at a pace that makes sense for a player to watch the action and understand what's going on? (Or will held/readied actions not exist at all?)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:10:09 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:33 pm »

On the world topology issue Toady has already talked about it in DF talk 5 (which has the best intro by Rain seeker and Captain)....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: February 05, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »

Conversely, what about "held" actions, like a snake coiled and waiting to strike, a crocodile waiting at the water's edge for an ambush, or a thief waiting to pounce on a passerby from hiding, with some sort of wind-up already taken place, and an action primed to go? Will there be a way for "turns" to take place at a pace that makes sense for a player to watch the action and understand what's going on? (Or will held/readied actions not exist at all?)
Just a bit of speculation from my end:
Since there are now attack modifiers based on movement speed for charging and the likes, not moving at all (i.e. skipping a turn) could have an influence on combat as well. So if the player chooses to stand still, the game could interpret this as preparation for a more accurate attack.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: February 05, 2013, 06:09:09 pm »

Just a bit of speculation from my end:
Since there are now attack modifiers based on movement speed for charging and the likes, not moving at all (i.e. skipping a turn) could have an influence on combat as well. So if the player chooses to stand still, the game could interpret this as preparation for a more accurate attack.

What about preparation for... well, just about anything else?

What about if you want to jump higher by crouching down low, and trying to measure the distance to the top of the cliff for a standing jump, rather than a running jump?  What about the difference between aiming a bow and preparing for a melee strike?  What if you're trying to give commands to allies, and are waiting for them to complete a certain task or to back them up if they fail at something.  (I spend time teaching my followers how to swim, for example, getting them into the water, then guiding them out if they start having trouble until they get to novice.) 

For that matter, if there's a difference between movement and other action speeds, when you skip a turn, which speed does the game use to determine when your turn comes up next? 

If we can sit there waiting on a frame-by-frame basis, and we have "reactions" that let us interrupt the actions of another unit, can we just sit there skipping frame-by-frame to interrupt all the actions of an enemy?

What this is doing is starting to merge the difference between the turn-based adventurer mode and the pseudo-real-time of Fortress Mode, and possibly also the real-time of other games.  There's a bit of a reason that most roguelikes don't do this sort of thing - it opens up an even greater complexity than either real-time or most roguelike games have.  (Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing to try doing - it's just that some of the ramifications are a little tricky to swallow.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: February 06, 2013, 04:18:20 am »

Will Armok ever appear (read:exist) in the game world? What role would he have? Will he be the patron of the dwarves?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: February 06, 2013, 08:57:19 am »

Will Armok ever appear (read:exist) in the game world? What role would he have? Will he be the patron of the dwarves?

AFAIK, Armok is more like the representation of the player rather than an actual in-game deity to be worshipped.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: February 06, 2013, 10:33:58 am »

AFAIK, Armok is more like the representation of the player rather than an actual in-game deity to be worshipped.
While I guess Three Toe's stories are not the gospel truth for the development plan, he wrote that Armok is a persistent entity that create things.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: February 06, 2013, 11:19:15 am »

Oh almighty Toad, I have a question for you.

Is there some planing on a better undead system? I mean, it gets tiring to fight animated hair, hides and such, so what I'm really asking is that if you are thinking into a more "classical" representation of undead, where the pieces that fall don't stay alive and ultimately only smashing the head or decapitation would stop the zombies. And if not, do you see a system like that possible to mod?

Related to that, I wonder (and I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times) how much modable you want dwarf fortress to be. What things you will like/plan to left hardcoded in the game and what things you plan ultimately to left in raws?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »

That's just one of those persistent urban legends...

Our eventual goal is to have the player's role be the embodiment of positions of power within the fortress, performing actions in their official capacity, to the point that in an ideal world each command you give would be linked to some noble, official or commander.

The player is the Expedition Leader/Mayor/Militia Commander/other nobles.  (Unless they're an adventurer, in which case it's even less ambiguous.)

That's part of the point of bookkeepers (you don't have exact accounts of what's in your fort unless you have a bookkeeper tracking it for you) and murders going unnoticed until a dwarf actually sees and reports it.  You don't know something until the fortress command structure could reasonably know something (you're not supposed to be omniscient), and things are progressing further in that direction as time goes on.

Related to that, I wonder (and I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times) how much modable you want dwarf fortress to be. What things you will like/plan to left hardcoded in the game and what things you plan ultimately to left in raws?

It may have changed, but one of his old goals was to raw-ify everything.  It's just that many of the game's older features are hard-coded shortcuts and hacks that are too much trouble for Toady to get around to rewriting any time soon, but at the same time, for the past few years, almost everything but the procedurally-generated stuff is raw-modifiable. 

I'm not sure on how much he even wants to make some of the procedurally-generated creatures raw-modifiable.  (Including the zombies.)  Some things, like HFS, might always be hard-coded, for all I know. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:43 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of things I wonder about it. For example HFS right now can be deactivated by setting the amount of clowns to 0 (I always do). I'm curious of what things Toady could consider(if any) so important and core to the game that he left them hardcoded forever in order to prevent people modding those hypothetical features.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: February 06, 2013, 01:34:39 pm »

Here's a quote about that:

Quote from: Intelligent Shade of Blue
Will Armok ever make an appearance in DF? Like as a deity that all dwarves worship (in addition to their other, lesser gods)?
Right now, you can't for instance add a stock pantheon for a modded race (like one from real-world mythology).  I think when you are able to do that in the raws or an editor or whatever, Armok would probably be a top candidate for stock universe example raws.  Armok has kind of enjoyed the history of being in the original Dragslay, functioned as a joke about the player, served as an explanation for each save game, etc., and for the future, the stock entry is where I'd see it happening.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: February 06, 2013, 01:58:54 pm »

So in the process of making a game we could choose from procedural made deities like right now and pre-made, pantheon like ones? Cool.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:01 pm »

I don't think there's anything that toady considers too important to put in the raws. It's just that putting things in the raws takes dedicated effort, and it's not worth rewriting old code just to put stuff in the raws. When a subsystem gets reworked, then it'll go in the raws.

So for HFS, it's actually possible more details will be modable when Toady reworks how HFS interacts with the world when it is released, particularly if that invloves weakening it.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: February 06, 2013, 11:06:29 pm »

While I guess Three Toe's stories are not the gospel truth for the development plan, he wrote that Armok is a persistent entity that create things.
Quote from: Intelligent Shade of Blue
Will Armok ever make an appearance in DF? Like as a deity that all dwarves worship (in addition to their other, lesser gods)?
Right now, you can't for instance add a stock pantheon for a modded race (like one from real-world mythology).  I think when you are able to do that in the raws or an editor or whatever, Armok would probably be a top candidate for stock universe example raws.  Armok has kind of enjoyed the history of being in the original Dragslay, functioned as a joke about the player, served as an explanation for each save game, etc., and for the future, the stock entry is where I'd see it happening.

Here in Knight Otu's quote you see that Armok functions as all of the above. Yes, he will be a god in the game eventually, but he has also been recognized as the player.

And really, in a game where you can decide how your world works when telling your story... if you want to BE Armok then you are Armok. Simple as that. Me, on the other hand, imagine Armok as a sort of anti-zen state that my mind can get into. Armok is that little voice in your head that whispers "ALL BURN " every time an elf walks onto the borders of your fort. When you reach that moment where you give in and let the magma flow that is Armok.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: February 07, 2013, 11:44:50 am »

Have you done anything with Kobold sites?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 748