Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809930 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3795 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »

If a tree grows into a new tile in such a way as a trunk would move over a creature, what would happen? In real life, if some object is left in a tree, the bark will eventually envelop it and trap it, but will creatures get a chance to move out of the way so they won't be "encased in maple tree?"

I'm not sure if that would even make sense so I'm assuming the creature would be moved as though the tree had actually grown overtime.
that is, unless dwarves are really stupid enough to stand still while a tree literally grows around them now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: October 07, 2012, 11:01:19 pm »

I'm not sure if that would even make sense so I'm assuming the creature would be moved as though the tree had actually grown overtime.
that is, unless dwarves are really stupid enough to stand still while a tree literally grows around them now.
They've stood still for dumber things.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: October 07, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

They've stood still for dumber things.

This is.... true.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:56 am »

That sounds like an elfy thing to do, become one with a tree.

As for the hordes of vengeful decendants, I don't think every single one would do it, but enough that if you were the 'megabeast' of the elf empire "The Flowery Fronds of Mists", then elvish heroes would arise to slay you. Most forum-goers here don't really realize where they properly fit in the story of this game. Burning elf villages to the ground, ethnic clensing, one memoriable act that was even worse... Yea, your the villians guys. Sorry.

Did Toady ever mention about people being not willing to slaughter incapacitated foes? I recall running from battle and not escalating conflict, but nothing about sympathy or mercy, or squemishness.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: October 08, 2012, 12:29:01 am »

That sounds like an elfy thing to do, become one with a tree.

As for the hordes of vengeful decendants, I don't think every single one would do it, but enough that if you were the 'megabeast' of the elf empire "The Flowery Fronds of Mists", then elvish heroes would arise to slay you. Most forum-goers here don't really realize where they properly fit in the story of this game. Burning elf villages to the ground, ethnic clensing, one memoriable act that was even worse... Yea, your the villians guys. Sorry.

Did Toady ever mention about people being not willing to slaughter incapacitated foes? I recall running from battle and not escalating conflict, but nothing about sympathy or mercy, or squemishness.

New bug:
Adventurers are eventually overwhelmed by the descendants of those they killed, the descendants of those descendants, and their descendants as well, in an exponentially growing human horde of vengeance seekers.

The only solution is the mass murder of babies.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: October 08, 2012, 12:35:21 am »

You know, I had remarked earlier that in the early version the revenge system would probably end up in clan feud, but then again stuffs like that actually happened in RL

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: October 08, 2012, 01:36:50 am »

Toady, seeing as magma is very popular, are you planning, at some point, to do an overhaul of the "volcanic" biome? Adding eruptions, smoke, more volcano shaped volcanoes, surroundings surrounded by ash, basalt, no trees or wildlife and sulphuric rain sometimes, and frozen/dead lava lakes/volcanoes? Also, did you considered adding other varations like lava lakes and geysers? Also, promising, my last question: do you plan to add other Tin ores, seeing as it is used to glaze and bronze but it's fairly rare?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:53:37 am by arkhometha »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: October 08, 2012, 02:35:44 am »

Sympathy and mercy don't sound like the sort of things that Toady would add.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: October 08, 2012, 03:58:43 am »

I still think that should affect all things except dwarves and goblins.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: October 08, 2012, 05:15:12 am »

Toady, seeing as magma is very popular, are you planning, at some point, to do an overhaul of the "volcanic" biome? Adding eruptions, smoke, more volcano shaped volcanoes, surroundings surrounded by ash, basalt, no trees or wildlife and sulphuric rain sometimes, and frozen/dead lava lakes/volcanoes? Also, did you considered adding other varations like lava lakes and geysers? Also, promising, my last question: do you plan to add other Tin ores, seeing as it is used to glaze and bronze but it's fairly rare?

I do remember Toady saying that he wanted to make volcanco embarks more dangerous by adding things likes quakes and eruptions so there would be a downside to the easy surface magma. The comment I recall was a long time before the magma sea, though.

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A bit on the rivers and lakes.
« Reply #3805 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:46 am »

1. I would like to know whether the river flow from the caves and vice versa?
2. Will the river, narrow, then expand?
3. And also wanted to know whether the rivers and lakes have a different depth (not just one tile)?
4. Winter will have the opportunity to break through the crust of ice river that would reach the water?

Thank you!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: A bit on the rivers and lakes.
« Reply #3806 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:28 am »

1. I would like to know whether the river flow from the caves and vice versa?
2. Will the river, narrow, then expand?
3. And also wanted to know whether the rivers and lakes have a different depth (not just one tile)?
4. Winter will have the opportunity to break through the crust of ice river that would reach the water?

Thank you!

If these questions are meant for ToadyOne, then in the future you'll want to use (color=limegreen) (/color)  to highlight them for ToadyOne. Though replace the () with []

1. Yep. Rivers flow from and to caves.
2. River width are pretty well aligned with how they behave in real life.
3. They do.

4. I'm pretty sure if the Biome Temp range for the Season say that the Water Freezes then all of the Water Freeze unless its in-door water.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:14:28 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: October 08, 2012, 07:06:17 am »

My hilarious bug prediction: embarking in a forest and having your fortress crumble in the autumn when every dwarf gets their head caved in by a falling acorn.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: October 08, 2012, 07:52:57 am »

My hilarious bug prediction: embarking in a forest and having your fortress crumble in the autumn when every dwarf gets their head caved in by a falling acorn.

Maybe acorns SHOULD be able to at least bruise them. I know my head things that's realistic.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3809 on: October 08, 2012, 08:05:51 am »

Really?
Wouldn't there be a more epic story than having climbed up from adventurer to bandit leader, killing everything that stands in your way, only to be stopped short by a passing army, with one soldier deciding to have mercy on you. Now, you're all alone again, in the wilderness that has been razed by war, and if you return where you came from, you will be waited on by people wanting vengeance for your cruel deeds.
How will you survive?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 748