Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809996 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3750 on: October 06, 2012, 05:50:03 pm »

What about underground trees ? Will they behave like surface trees ? Will they grow be limited to the size of the cavern, will the roots of the 3rd level of cavern in contact with the magma see ?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: October 06, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »

What about underground trees ? Will they behave like surface trees ? Will they grow be limited to the size of the cavern, will the roots of the 3rd level of cavern in contact with the magma see ?
There no reason to think that underground tree will be different from surface trees.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: October 06, 2012, 05:58:05 pm »

There no reason to think that underground tree will be different from surface trees.
But the underground is substantially both substantially smaller and more crowded by rocks. Plus the shape would be different due to, well, mushroomness.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: October 06, 2012, 06:11:02 pm »

Is it/will it be possible to mine under a tree without cutting through most of the roots, say, to create a little cave where the ground[above]/ceiling[below] appears to be held together by the tree roots (even though in actuality it stays simply because DF's cave-in physics for the ground itself currently don't kick in unless there is no physical connection)?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3754 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:03 pm »

Will there be a (possibly welcome) dissonance between character reaction time and movement/other action cost? For instance, if I break into a full out sprint, I would say move two tiles instead of one in the same turnframe, thus, possibly overshooting a target I want to rush by while swinging at.
One good already existing example would be minecart riding, though, then we might have issues with players having to mash the movement key a bunch of times to move a single tile at slowest movement rate, though at least they won't be vulnerable to several attempts of attack by an enemy who's several tiles away just be pressing a movement key.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: October 06, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »

But the underground is substantially both substantially smaller and more crowded by rocks. Plus the shape would be different due to, well, mushroomness.
I dont see how that means that Underground trees (or shrooms) will act different from surface trees.

Less height means, they cant grow as high as some surface trees. More crowding means that there wont be as possibly thick forest underground. But neither of those require the tree framework to act differently.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: October 06, 2012, 06:19:02 pm »

I dont see how that means that Underground trees (or shrooms) will act different from surface trees.

Less height means, they cant grow as high as some surface trees. More crowding means that there wont be as possibly thick forest underground. But neither of those require the tree framework to act differently.
Look, the problem is It can't grow in a branch by leaf manner, it has to grow consistently in the shape. Because of that, if it grows in a small spot it won't be able to grow large.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: October 06, 2012, 06:20:58 pm »

Yea. They'll grow differently, but how it grows is determine from the raws and the tree framework. The tree will still be govern by the same system.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: October 06, 2012, 07:06:43 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady and everybody.
Okay, this probably have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it, so here it goes:
Does having raws in text files impact performance, and putting them in a database like SQL would improve performance? If yes, have you considered doing this?
There would be no advantage to using a database given how raws are read in so infrequently. They are read when starting a new world, and when loading a game.

Also, this is a suggestion, and does not belong here.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: October 06, 2012, 07:14:32 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady and everybody.
Okay, this probably have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on it, so here it goes:
Does having raws in text files impact performance, and putting them in a database like SQL would improve performance? If yes, have you considered doing this?
There would be no advantage to using a database given how raws are read in so infrequently. They are read when starting a new world, and when loading a game.

Also, this is a suggestion, and does not belong here.

No it's not, it's a question. I questioned if he considered doing this, and if the .txts being converted to a database would improve performance.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »

To quote:

He he he, "dwarves with *outdoor* *orchards*" is kind of a double-barreled fundamentally bizarre concept, so I'm not sure I'll be racing for that.  On the other hand, doing anything with underground vegetation along the same lines would pretty much let you do it above ground (if you are some kind of shaved-faced freak), so I wouldn't rule it out.  I doubt you'd ever compete in global trade with the people that live in forests under the sun and so on.

Does this hint at any future changes to food/drink quality such as wines gaining cost/demand over time or something along the lines of modding to include such complicated farmering and foodering?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: October 06, 2012, 08:13:00 pm »

The problem I have with underground trees, is what would they feed on? There's no sunlight underground, so they would have to be different. I would assume that they are a lot more carnivorous, or maybe they can feed on magma/chemical heat/vapors. The ingame effect would be that they would only grow in certain places. Or do people mean mushrooms when they talk about underground trees?

I also think that some questions about tree growth could be cleared with a video showing a tree grow. Toady, could you create such a video showing tree growth. Alternatively, I would like to see someone make such a video after this release. Either way would be great.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: October 06, 2012, 08:15:02 pm »

Underground trees generally speaking are just not plants that use the process of Photosynthesis or that find their own way to produce light (Photosynthetic cells or something like that... Glow in the dark).

An underground tree is like the Tower Cap which is a giant mushroom which is a fungus.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: October 06, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »

Edity: I know the answer to all of them is yes (except the last one, personal enemies created by you through your actions I don't recall ever being addressed), but these are features I am really looking forward to. So I'm kind of disappointed in myself for asking them to get status of them being in the next release. I wasted toady's time with them! So I yellowed them out. Though I'd love to know the answer with "in the next release" tacked on.

Will you be able to "resume" world generation independant of player action for a set amount of years?

Are birth/marriages going in for players yet, or just NPCs?

If reproduction for players is allowed so, will it allow you to "resume" on your offspring for adventuring?

Urist Daggerdagger, third Generation Fluffy Wambler thrower! With her trusty baby-shield! Oops, she died.
*12 years of world generation later*
Dagger Uristdagger, Fourth Generation Fluffy Wambler thrower! Now to get revenge on that dreaded bandit! Oh darn. He died of old age. Hey, his kid lives! Generational war time...

And that asks...

Will you gain personal enemies that will hunt you to the ends of the earth for killing their parent years ago?

Hey, they already ask you to do it for them. It's only fair to extend the eye for the eye out.
"I'm Dingo the Mountain-Toy, you killed my Aunt, prepare to die!"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 06:39:26 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: October 06, 2012, 08:30:47 pm »

So in short underground trees are basically giant mushrooms.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 748