Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810240 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3660 on: October 03, 2012, 05:37:21 am »

With seasonal flowers, will we have the option of planting flowerbeds?

Do seasonal flowers mean that aboveground plants will no longer be year-round crops?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:51 am »

Do seasonal flowers mean that aboveground plants will no longer be year-round crops?
No. One have nothing to do with another, thankyouverymuch. If Toady changed something, he would mention it, as changes to plants have to be done spearately.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3662 on: October 03, 2012, 06:49:49 am »

Anyway, what I'm getting from this is that you want Toady to develop official utilities as a big middle finger to the fans who have been developing utilities all along. I guess if your dislike for people who enjoy DF in a way different from your own is that strong, I can't sway you from your opinion. But I will certainly continue to disagree with it.

Assume makes ass of you and me. And frankly, you really should do something about this paranoid-accusing attitude.

Official utilities exist because game is lacking something - good screen for management of dwarves, for example.

Fixing this is not middle finger to devs, it is acknowledging what what they did was worthwhile enough to be incorporated to official game. And if you do not mind, I would prefer option of getting feedback on this from people who actually have valid say on this "middlefingering business" - like LucasUP, chmod, DwarfEngineer, peterix, sizeak... and others who which i apologize for not incluing (in heretic list ;-p)

I would not mind if this happened to soundsense. I would be very flattered.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: October 03, 2012, 07:11:37 am »

Seeing as good/evil lands are to be scrapped and replaced relatively soon I doubt we'll see any new trees added at this point. This should lay some groundwork for what is to come though hopefully:
While I generally agree that we likely won't see new aligned trees, the two things aren't really mutually exclusive. Today's EVIL tree could well be next year's DARKNESS/NIGHT/SHADOW tree.

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: October 03, 2012, 07:13:44 am »

Seeing as good/evil lands are to be scrapped and replaced relatively soon I doubt we'll see any new trees added at this point. This should lay some groundwork for what is to come though hopefully:
While I generally agree that we likely won't see new aligned trees, the two things aren't really mutually exclusive. Today's EVIL tree could well be next year's DARKNESS/NIGHT/SHADOW tree.

Toady has said he was going to remove good and evil lands FOREVER AGO and that time is getting further and further away.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:53 am »

Toady has said he was going to remove good and evil lands FOREVER AGO and that time is getting further and further away.
I like to be optimistic.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: October 03, 2012, 10:03:22 am »

he's been saying that before evil syndrome rains and husking clouds were implemented

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: October 03, 2012, 10:28:57 am »

No. One have nothing to do with another, thankyouverymuch. If Toady changed something, he would mention it, as changes to plants have to be done spearately.

Crops are located in the same raw file (plant_standard) as trees.  Plant_standard will obviously look very different in the new version--it will certainly be heavily edited--as will plant_grasses (assuming that's even where flowers will be located) since the current entries at the very least don't have seasonal tags.  Toady has a habit of paying attention to detail and unifying his frameworks.  I think my question is fair.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: October 03, 2012, 11:55:59 am »

he's been saying that before evil syndrome rains and husking clouds were implemented
These, too, can be transplanted when the time comes.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: October 03, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »

Will bees now make heather honey?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: October 03, 2012, 02:31:41 pm »

will trees cave in?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: October 03, 2012, 05:01:52 pm »

Will people green their questions? :P

"Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stones sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings..."
I am very, very much looking forwards to this, whenever it happens. :) On that note,
Are you going to be laying any groundwork towards implementing the removal (as stated above) of good/evil flora regions before the next release?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:06:26 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: October 03, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

I think that flooding the market with cheap stone crafts will not significantly lower the worthwileness of producing crafts. As you produce more crafts, the value of crafts will decrease, but your dwarves will become more skilled producing better crafts faster. Adding realistic markets will not decrease the importance of export, but forts will have to specialize if they want to mass produce stuff.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: October 03, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »

Anyway, what I'm getting from this is that you want Toady to develop official utilities as a big middle finger to the fans who have been developing utilities all along. I guess if your dislike for people who enjoy DF in a way different from your own is that strong, I can't sway you from your opinion. But I will certainly continue to disagree with it.

Assume makes ass of you and me. And frankly, you really should do something about this paranoid-accusing attitude.

Official utilities exist because game is lacking something - good screen for management of dwarves, for example.

Fixing this is not middle finger to devs, it is acknowledging what what they did was worthwhile enough to be incorporated to official game. And if you do not mind, I would prefer option of getting feedback on this from people who actually have valid say on this "middlefingering business" - like LucasUP, chmod, DwarfEngineer, peterix, sizeak... and others who which i apologize for not incluing (in heretic list ;-p)

I would not mind if this happened to soundsense. I would be very flattered.
Toady has said he does not want to work closely with all the people who make utilities to make the compatible before every release. He wants the game to stand on its own without any critical dependance on a 3rd party tool. He's willing to help utility makers, but doesn't want the pressure of coordinating with them before a big release. I'm paraphrasing here, so please excuse me if this is imprecise. When he made the statement (on df talk I think) he was referring to abstracting the interface specifically, but his reservations apply to 3rd party tools generally.

A official graphical tileset would violate this, and prevent Toady from adding features like multitile trees and flowers without coordinating with the artist to make sure his tileset continues to work with the new graphics.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: October 03, 2012, 05:57:46 pm »

will trees cave in?
They do now.  If you ramp under tree, it'll fuck that dorf up.

These new multi tile trees will probably be following the cave in system we have now. Maybe we'll get them falling to their side. That'll be neat. But I doubt that.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 748