Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3810253 times)

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3630 on: October 01, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

im not sure standing order automatization is the key to making the fort retireable, since a retired fort would probably run on an highly abstracted level most of the time, cause no computer can handle 10 full forts running simultaniously

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3631 on: October 01, 2012, 01:19:37 pm »

im not sure standing order automatization is the key to making the fort retireable, since a retired fort would probably run on an highly abstracted level most of the time, cause no computer can handle 10 full forts running simultaniously
But it does help that fortress to seem active when you visit it as adventurer.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: October 01, 2012, 02:28:43 pm »

I think you are reading too much into it. All other sites are ran statistically and there is no reason player forts would be unable to operate under this conditions too.

Computer does not need to operate elaborate player designs - that is impossible problem unsolvable without players writing script to operate fort tailored for their fort themselves. Toady would have to write class-a AI to do general solution otherwise.

But game can easily see number of dwarves in military, their equipment and other stuff (like number of traps or siege engines), put it to fairly abstract "meatgrinder" to resolve siege and it would work out just fine just as battles are resolved in worldgen right now. Same working for industries and food production.

It does not have to be perfect, but i do not think it would be catastrophic either - it is mostly just turtle-ish forts without functioning army that will be harmed. Also, non-player forts are not subjected to as frequent sieges as player handled ones.
What about if you end up besieging one of your own forts or visiting them in adventure mode? They need to function somewhat beyond statistics.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: October 01, 2012, 02:55:43 pm »

Biggest problem is the digging / building of new rooms, as far as I envision anything in that direction.
Perhaps we'll have news about that in the incoming fortresses.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: October 01, 2012, 03:56:52 pm »

I think retired forts should only be automated in terms of farming and hunting and the designations made before retirements will be carried on.

This means if you're not good enough at automated management your fort will die.
If you're good enough then you have won Dwarf Fortress to some degree in that you could leave your fort untouched and it still won't collapse.

Of course then military would have to be more automated or else the retired forts will die at the first siege.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3635 on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:36 pm »

But the military is incredibly automated already... On paper.

The idea of the current military is that you set proper scedules for them, and then not bother with them at all. (You can make the patrol per month, make them train per month, give them free time per month. Per squed as well)
Problem is the fickle equipment system, the training system being peculiar and the long patrols-bad thought bug.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: October 01, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »

But the military is incredibly automated already... On paper.

The idea of the current military is that you set proper scedules for them, and then not bother with them at all. (You can make the patrol per month, make them train per month, give them free time per month. Per squed as well)
Problem is the fickle equipment system, the training system being peculiar and the long patrols-bad thought bug.
There is a binary bug patch for that last one.

But I see your point, It is currently awfully difficult to make sure that you're military is eqiupped.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: October 01, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

how do you use that?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: October 02, 2012, 01:51:46 am »

ON GRAPHICS: I believe the reason Toady has been reluctant to work with anyone on an official tileset is because of rights issues. Though the fact that he would prefer to focus on building the mechanics of the game instead of trying to improve the graphics right now does show a priority preference. It doesn't need to be met with a "ASCII IS SUPERIOR" attitude, he's said there will always be an ascii option. Eventually there will be better tile support. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive, and don't have to be a divisive topic.
He's reluctant to work with anyone on it because they would have to do the whole thing in a consistent style and continue to do so for the entirety of DF's development (probably not less than 20 more years) but also because he, like most people, is perfectly happy with the current system of unofficial tilesets. This isn't the same issue as the desire for better tileset support; tileset support involves altering the display code so that the proper tile for any given situation can be externally defined with as close to total freedom as possible. An official tileset would just amount to Toady saying "okay, this one's official now" and bundling it with the game; something there's really not much point to.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3639 on: October 02, 2012, 03:21:25 am »

An official tileset would just amount to Toady saying "okay, this one's official now" and bundling it with the game; something there's really not much point to.

Considering huge popularity of lazy newb pack and mayday, there *is* a point. Make it menu option so that it does not require conf file fiddling and people will adore it.

Ideally, game would get list of submitted tilesets from online repository, show previews and let player pick one without having to put files to directory. You can do the whole star-grading, user comments, featured tilesets, etc...  (and do something similar for mods).

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: October 02, 2012, 04:03:30 am »

An official tileset would just amount to Toady saying "okay, this one's official now" and bundling it with the game; something there's really not much point to.

Considering huge popularity of lazy newb pack and mayday, there *is* a point. Make it menu option so that it does not require conf file fiddling and people will adore it.

Ideally, game would get list of submitted tilesets from online repository, show previews and let player pick one without having to put files to directory. You can do the whole star-grading, user comments, featured tilesets, etc...  (and do something similar for mods).

I think toady's been highly against networking stuff in df. Let alone multiplayer being completely toss out( from what i know ).
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:11 am »

I think toady's been highly against networking stuff in df. Let alone multiplayer being completely toss out( from what i know ).

All of this will have to wait till DF is more or less v1.0. To mess with that staff now would only slow down the development. Online staff will probably never make it's way in, but even this might change during next 20-30 years.
I would recommend to focus on somewhat closer future of this brilliant game ;)

Now on Fortress Retirement:
I think even if our fortresses would just stand still, slowly crumbling down due to sieges, wrong usage of levers, magma, tantrums etc. would be much better than what we have now. Imagine how cool it would be to visit such fort and witness all that craziness first hand! 
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32:29 am »

Now on Fortress Retirement:
I think even if our fortresses would just stand still, slowly crumbling down due to sieges, wrong usage of levers, magma, tantrums etc. would be much better than what we have now. Imagine how cool it would be to visit such fort and witness all that craziness first hand!

yes, theres no saying the fortress has to survive when you leave it. It would be cool to return to a fort in adv mode to discover that goblins have taken over it

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: October 02, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »

I'd be happy just to see my dwarves standing around in my fort, rather like how townsfolk do in adventure mode. If they went and pretended to do their jobs at their workshops (without producing anything), and slept in their rooms at night, that'd be even better. I don't know about sieges, though... I think that might be best handled in some other manner. Goblins don't regularly siege cities with a population of 80 or over, so why should they do it to your fortress after you abandon?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: October 02, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »

good point...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 748