Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809940 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3495 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46:22 pm »

I don't really think we should be thinking in terms of "balance" with things like forestation. In the future you will be able to send dwarves to places outside your own little fortress area for resources, and at the point there will be no concept of balance at all in how much wood you can get out of anything.

I like the idea that woods are not restrained by concepts such as balance, but are part of the "simulator" aspects of DF.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: September 24, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

I can't wait to see the autumn version. I bet that's super pretty.

On the potential slowdown, if there is any it'll be most apparent when moving about in Adventure Mode.

When you say it can all be changed in the raws, does that extend to the tiles that are used to represent certain parts of the tree? I'm down with what you've got there mostly, but the "1/4"s are distracting, being readable numbers thrown into the mix like that. I think it's because number tiles have been otherwise reserved for fluid levels.
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant in that sentence. Remember though, it's probably just a matter of getting used to it, like the ²s used for gibs and so on. As far as I'm aware, the ¼s haven't been used before.

When you talk about making grass dry underneath the canopy, will that be the case for all Inside Light tiles?

How does the tree "decide" which tiles to use when its trunk increases from 1x1 to 2x2?
Some of the 2x2 trunks on the first map seem to overlap the river, which is realistic in a way, but could become a problem if you get two 3x3s opposite each other?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:09:14 pm by rhesusmacabre »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: September 24, 2012, 02:03:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant in that sentence. Remember though, it's probably just a matter of getting used to it, like the ²s used for gibs and so on. As far as I'm aware, the ¼s haven't been used before.
They've been used for roc nests, actually.

When you talk about making grass dry underneath the canopy, will that be the case for all Outside Dark tiles?
I think that's simply because the surrounding grass in the first screenshots is dry, but the grass below the trees isn't.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »

When you talk about making grass dry underneath the canopy, will that be the case for all Outside Dark tiles?
I think that's simply because the surrounding grass in the first screenshots is dry, but the grass below the trees isn't.
Yeah, you're probably right. (Also, I keep getting my Inside Light, Outside Dark back to front.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:12:53 pm by rhesusmacabre »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17:46 pm »

I really think today's tree pictures look truly awesome.
I wonder however, how it will affect gameplay.

...Urist cancels cut tree.. Too complex..

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: September 24, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »

About the slowdown - even if the growth check was seasonal before and will remain seasonal, before we had trees in three states (no tree, sapling and fully grown tree) and now we will have a growth check for each branch of the new trees (do they grew up, down, north, south, east, west?) for each tree.

I can't discern the 48x48 boundaries, it all looks very organic to me. Could someone be nice and point it out?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3501 on: September 24, 2012, 03:26:06 pm »

Do branches move location when trees grow? Or just stay in place and widen? [edit:] Asking programatically, do you regenerate the whole tree/branch when it grows?

Do trees grow up, rather than just out? Meaning, if I build a platform on the second layer of branches, could that be lifted higher off the ground as the tree grows?

Will tree growth displace or destroy constructions? Same example, would a platform built beside a trunk of a tree (one tile trunk) be moved or destroyed when the tree enlarges to 3x3?

How will you decide when a tree dies, due to damage? Do we need to cut out a whole layer of trunk? Perhaps only ring it? What about 1 tile removal of a 3x3 trunk, either in the center or at the edge? what about root damage, how much is enough to kill a tree?

I'm also curious about mushrooms, the caverns are not as vertically unrestricted. I wonder which will budge: current cavern shapes, or tower-cap towerness.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:17:19 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: September 24, 2012, 04:15:41 pm »

Do trees grow up, rather than just out? Meaning, if I build a platform on the second layer of branches, could that be lifted higher off the ground as the tree grows?

That's not how trees grow IRL.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:45 pm »

Do branches move location when trees grow? Or just stay in place and widen?

[/color]

In real life, branches don't move upward with tree growth (unless I've forgotten something by living in the city too long).  The tree's growth is by adding length/height to it's top core trunk and by expanding it's girth.  So lower branches will always be lower branches...  Unless I'm mistaken somehow.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:20:52 pm by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: September 24, 2012, 04:19:14 pm »

oops
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »

Not greening in case someone asked, But will trees be flammable? I sure hope so. I wonder how that will be handled.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: September 24, 2012, 05:05:32 pm »

I'm really sure trees are flammable now. Just not destroyable.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: September 24, 2012, 05:06:53 pm »

I can't discern the 48x48 boundaries, it all looks very organic to me. Could someone be nice and point it out?
This picture, zoomed out to fit on the screen at once. You can easily see the block lines of the standard 4x4 embarkation area. Doesn't really bother me, but if he wants to fix it that's awesome too.

In other questions,
Will foliage be burnable? If so, will you fix fire to spread across z-levels? 'Cause otherwise it would just look weird.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: September 24, 2012, 05:24:23 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but what are the ideas for the new kobold sites?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: September 24, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »

That's not how trees grow IRL.

In biology, the parts of the plant that grows upward are the "apical meristem" (Simple English: the top of the plant) and the "peripheral meristems" (Simple English: shoots or branches). I think this means if you have branches on the tree, they won't go up in height. However, if you build something on top of the tree, it will be pushed up. The thing for Toady to deal with now trees damaging constructions.

What happens if a tree is going to grow outwards or upwards, but something is in the way, be it a building or construction or creature?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 748