Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809890 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3480 on: September 24, 2012, 12:40:43 pm »

they wouldn't grow all at the same time, and the game would probably only check once a season or year, and even then, the growing algorithm is probably as processor intensive as a really low fluidity liquid

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: September 24, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »

I wonder if the procedural tree growth calculations will impact FPS in world gen and ingame.

As far as I know most local land features aren't actually calculated until you arrive there, so it probably won't affect worldgen. Embarking might be a little slower, and there might be a little blip at whatever period the trees grow, but once you're on the local level there won't be that many trees to calculate.

You are right about world gen, I had forgot about that. But what about a woodland embark? That growth would be continuous, because if you cut the trees they should grow again, using the same algorithms. Even if you didn't cut them, they should still continuously grow.

Tree growth rates will probably be changed to be more realistic as well though, so there won't really be that much growth going on with how slow it'll be :>

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: September 24, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »

they wouldn't grow all at the same time, and the game would probably only check once a season or year, and even then, the growing algorithm is probably as processor intensive as a really low fluidity liquid
Tree right now dont grow all the time. They probably do a monthly update or a quarterly update.

I dont see why that would change now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: September 24, 2012, 01:01:53 pm »

Do trees grow in increments, or all at once? If the former, how many seasons/years (on average) would it take for a tree to grow to its full height from a sapling?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:04:00 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: September 24, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »

Do trees grow in increments, or all at once? If the former, how many seasons/years (on average) would it take for a tree to grow to its full height from a sapling?

If it's based anywhere near reality (which I think we can assume at this point), depending on the tree it would take around 20-30 years for the fastest ones to mature, whereas oak trees for example can take up to 50 years before they even start bearing acorns and would keep growing to ages between 500-1000 years :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:53 pm »

If it's based anywhere near reality (which I think we can assume at this point), depending on the tree it would take around 20-30 years for the fastest ones to mature, whereas oak trees for example can take up to 50 years before they even start bearing acorns and would keep growing to ages between 500-1000 years :P

Trees grow REALLY fast in the Dwarf Fortress world.

There is enough wood to make a bed in a tree that has been growing for about 1 year.

Kind of interesting how powerful mother nature is in Dwarf Fortress.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: September 24, 2012, 01:23:56 pm »

Trees grow REALLY fast in the Dwarf Fortress world.

There is enough wood to make a bed in a tree that has been growing for about 1 year.

Kind of interesting how powerful mother nature is in Dwarf Fortress.

I'd bet my beard that'll get tuned now though with the new trees, as there really won't be any need for them to grow fast any more. Just need to balance the amount of wood we get from our new huge trees properly ^^

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: September 24, 2012, 01:24:43 pm »

Right now it's set to trees reaching "adulthood" at a minimum of around a year. Possibly a little more. I'm not sure Toady One would give us a one-shot source of wood - realistically, you'd only see the trees at their full height at the start of the fortress, as there wouldn't be enough time in the fortress's life for most to regrow. However, at the same time, starting in a 1000 year old redwood forest sounds particularly attractive, just because of how you'd be able to tell the age of the trees by size, and the world would feel old with that knowledge. Then again... that would be roughly 30+ z's high, and six tiles or so across.

edit: double-ninja'd.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:36:20 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »

Depending on Tree i would say. Certain Bamboos can be Harvested after 5 Years, industrial firs after around 80-100. That is if you want wood for building.

There is the idea of Energy Forrests that get Harvested for Biomass and woodchips (+charcoal) which consist of Fast-growing willows (sallix), Poplar or aspen. Well that happens in RL anyway. IIrc The swedes have forrests where they get ~10 tons dry-mass per year and hectar. You harvest every 3-10 years depending on your trees and after ~20 Years you should give the land a break.

Toady normaly goes with realism here and the apparent wood contend of just one tree would warrant realistic growth cycles.

edit: got some numbers confussed for firs with another kind of Bamboo
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:37:48 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3489 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:32 pm »

It'll also result in fairly realistic industrial landscapes.

Dwarves will start cutting wood for beds, chairs and charcoal, but soon they're cutting more than the forest can supply. (Hell, it already happens with our 1yo trees), leading to genuine deforestation and punishment toward dwarves for being so greedy.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: September 24, 2012, 01:37:52 pm »

Right now it's set to trees reaching "adulthood" at a minimum of around a year. Possibly a little more. I'm not sure Toady One would give us a one-shot source of wood - realistically, you'd only see the trees at their full height at the start of the fortress. However, at the same time, starting in a 1000 year old redwood forest sounds particularly attractive, just because of how you'd be able to tell the age of the trees by girth. Then again... that would be roughly 30+ z's high, and six tiles or so across.

Yeah, we won't really be going through trees at anywhere near the previous rate, since 1 tree now would probably give 10-100 times as much wood as one before. And I'd actually prefer to have wood not be an endlessly and instantly regenerating resource anymore but something you actually have to think a bit about.

Depending on Tree i would say. Certain Bamboos can be Harvested after 5 Years, industrial firs after around 10-15. That is if you want wood for building.

There is the idea of Energy Forrests that get Harvested for Biomass and woodchips (+charcoal) which consist of Fast-growing willows (sallix), Poplar or aspen. Well that happens in RL anyway. IIrc The swedes have forrests where they get ~10 tons dry-mass per year and hectar. You harvest every 3-10 years depending on your trees and after ~20 Years you should give the land a break.

Toady normaly goes with realism here and the apparent wood contend of just one tree would warrant realistic growth cycles.

Energy forests are kind of a special case though, and can't really be used for much else than for energy. Pine for example is left to grow between 60-90 years, and most other forest types for at least 50 up to a 100 years. (speaking of Sweden as well)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: September 24, 2012, 01:39:05 pm »

Will, similar to grazers, certain animals require leaves and/or fruits now? Do certain animals climb trees now, too? Birds' nests, etc? Will we see a [CLIMBER] tag in this release?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »

Will current saves be compatible with the new version? If so, will we get the new sites/trees?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:16 pm »

If we do, then monkeys!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »

When you say it can all be changed in the raws, does that extend to the tiles that are used to represent certain parts of the tree? I'm down with what you've got there mostly, but the "1/4"s are distracting, being readable numbers thrown into the mix like that. I think it's because number tiles have been otherwise reserved for fluid levels.

Apologies if this is a basic modding venture or something; I'm not talking about a tileset; I play vanilla ASCII. I just want to swap out one tree part tile for another so that I can look at the trees without going "one fourth, one fourth, one fourth..." in my head all the time.

Can someone else answer this question before Toady gets to it, maybe?
Felt like it was still appropriate to green, since it's asking about the extent of a statement he made in the devlog.

EDIT: Ouch, those 48x48s really do stick out, don't they? Here's hoping that gets sorted ... it drove me crazy when the Elven Retreats on the worldgen map would lay themselves out in a very inorganic-looking grid like that.
Pretty confident that we'll be able to change tiles in the raws easily, as he's included that with many other things such as minecart tracks. People are debating whether it'll be just that or that AND affecting growth style, but appearance changeability is basically assumed.

The 48x48s are visible, but not too much more than cavern blocks are. Mind you, I hope he fixes those too.

Depending on Tree i would say. Certain Bamboos can be Harvested after 5 Years, industrial firs after around 80-100. That is if you want wood for building.

edit: got some numbers confussed for firs with another kind of Bamboo
Don't forget underground sources! He'll be able to fabricate those numbers pretty much from whole cloth, so if Tower-caps and Fungiwood get faster growth rates (being fungi) then we could see the wood industry get even more subterranean.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 748