Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811605 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2865 on: August 03, 2012, 10:44:17 pm »

There's creative mode and console commands are now implemented into single player.

Yes but those arn't the game.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: August 04, 2012, 06:23:53 am »

-how does leaving tracks incorporate things like different types of underground/soil and surface area of feet?
(what will happen here in the future?)

-do you have any thoughts/plans for things like muddy soil/swampy ground to have effects apart from tracking?
(e.g. slowing movement or even completely sinking in)

edit: what are the effects of weather on tracking?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:27:02 am by eux0r »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: August 04, 2012, 09:18:29 am »

Is the tracking skill going to be the one already in the game, or is it going to be changed to be like literacy, so its a skill without a level? I'd prefer it if one could level up in the skill.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: August 04, 2012, 10:34:18 am »

There is a new shock image poster by the name of 'Shock'. Please add him to your ignore list by clicking Profile > Modify profile > buddy/ignore list > edit ignore list.
Thank you.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: August 04, 2012, 11:33:13 am »

There is a new shock image poster by the name of 'Shock'. Please add him to your ignore list by clicking Profile > Modify profile > buddy/ignore list > edit ignore list.
Thank you.

It is not a new one, it is the same as always. I hope Toady reports it to the police or something - this guy is obviously unhealthy
 obsessed with DF and/or Toady.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: August 04, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »

In the last few Dwarf Fortress talks, we've heard about alternate dimensions, and the next set of night creatures. We've also heard a lot about things that used to be in Dwarf Fortress but were taken out before the original release, such as elves animating trees, and animals needing to eat. How much room do you think there will be in the hero arc for adding in the new night creatures? When we get dwarves with ambitions (it seems like there are already goals in place for entities in the game now), I assume we'll have dwarves who want to run their own tavern, or arrange their own furniture, or rob the bank. Does Dwarf Fortress have a means to make abstract structures or cause and effect relationships made by the players identifiable to NPCs? The problem is that you might have a bank vault behind two sets of steel doors controlled by levers and on timers (i.e. the lever does not open the door, but when pulled, it turns on a pump that will flood a tank, and when the tank reaches a certain level, a pressure plate will be triggered, opening the doors, after a certain number of ticks), and the dwarf would need a means to identify the cause-and-effect chain up to and beyond "this lever opens this door".

And this, my friends, is where we get dwarf gangs holding your leverpullers hostage to get out the combination to the bank vaults. We'd also have weapons and armour going missing from the armoury, and probably some kind of security patrol. "Mr Urist, let me introduce you to my atomsmasher. As you can see, we have secured all your prized +Gold Goblets+ and -pig tail fiber socks- underneath the bridge. It would be a shame if something were to happen to them..." Of course, if the same kind of "digging enemies" mechanic were added to dwarf gangs, they would just borrow a no-quality copper pick and dig a tunnel.

For the above to work, dwarves would need a reasonable method for patching up tunnels. They would also need a means for other dwarves to identify and report tunnels for investigation.

I personally think digging is a little too safe. There should really be more dangers (optional, of course) than just breaching the caverns or the HFS. For example, your dwarves might accidentally crack open an ancient tomb from the time before time, and release a lich and its RNG'd defenders. These things should not just be restricted to end-game content - it should be possible to find such an object in the first few layers too. It would also be great to have those HFS-pockets from 40d and 23a added back in, so embarking on the right locations would give you even more ways to ruin your fortress.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: August 04, 2012, 01:35:38 pm »

Will the eventual fae creatures get special tracking stuff? It's fairly common for them to be described as not disturbing vegetation with their passing, and some don't leave tracks at all. Meanwhile in America there are old stories of creatures who have backwards feet and thus leave backwards prints, and the Devil is said to leave goat prints even in the form of a man.

On another note, will stealth (or perhaps some other skill) reduce the tracks left? What about more active forms of tracker-thwarting like doubling back or walking in the river?

And finally, Is tracking information generated in worldgen as well as play? If so, how do they differ? And how abstracted is tracking info generation when the player isn't around to see? I imagine that always counts as army movement and uses that system?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:38:33 pm by Cruxador »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:55 pm »

old stories of creatures who have backwards feet and thus leave backwards prints

Interestingly enough. Trackers can easily tell when a creature is walking backwards.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: August 05, 2012, 01:18:50 am »

How long will tracking information stay active? Is it Adventure-Mode-Only?
Sounts like something that could slow down everything after some time
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: August 05, 2012, 07:43:01 am »

How long will tracking information stay active? Is it Adventure-Mode-Only?
Sounts like something that could slow down everything after some time

Yeah, I'm guessing this is what Toady means by "cycling" data, if the number of tracks is limited then when that limit is full the old ones are automatically overwritten... ??  Is that what the devlog means today?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Pabbicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:28 am »

Are we going to see any attempt to cut all the useless clutter data? While I enjoy Dwarf Fortress, I don't enjoy waiting about 45 minutes to generate a world because of 600 werebeast rampages or forest fires or whatever. There's a lot of information that seems pointless to record, which seems to bog down performance when pathfinding for a large fortress already eats memory like there's no tomorrow.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:45 am »

Are we going to see any attempt to cut all the useless clutter data? While I enjoy Dwarf Fortress, I don't enjoy waiting about 45 minutes to generate a world because of 600 werebeast rampages or forest fires or whatever. There's a lot of information that seems pointless to record, which seems to bog down performance when pathfinding for a large fortress already eats memory like there's no tomorrow.

Clutter data? Not sure what you mean. There's an option to cull unimportant hist. figures in the advanced worldgen.

Pabbicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: August 05, 2012, 09:10:01 am »

Clutter data? Not sure what you mean. There's an option to cull unimportant hist. figures in the advanced worldgen.

Things like heartrates and how many times dwarves blink and all the other assorted invisible figures that seem to have no impact whatsoever on the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: August 05, 2012, 09:21:49 am »

There are none of those if you play adventurer and dwarf mode.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: August 05, 2012, 10:04:18 am »

Why is 45 minutes to generate a world unreasonable? You only need to do it once (per major update) and you don't have to sit there watching it or anything. Besides, even God took six days to do it.
Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if worldgen expanded to be the sort of thing you would leave overnight.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 748