Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3811631 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2850 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »

Yeah, it's kind of silly to have any limitations in such a sandboxy game.
Dunno if you're sarcastic being, but if you are, you'd think it'd be made an option rather than just as, yes?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:16 pm »

I'm not sure I understand you. I definitely think there should be an option to have point-limits on your characters as we do now, in addition to a no-limit setting.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 02, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

Well the selections of: Peasant, Hero, and Demigod will actually mean a lot more later on.

As for "limitations doesn't make sense in a sandbox game" I have to disagree. Even in Minecraft the game intentionally limits you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 03, 2012, 12:53:17 am »

Probably the Peasant/Hero/Demigod distinction will be replaced by something more like in Mount and Blade, where you could answer a few questions about your past (like if you were an impoverished patrician, university student, etc.) and it would give you a starting scenario based on that.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 03, 2012, 01:00:58 am »

Probably the Peasant/Hero/Demigod distinction will be replaced by something more like in Mount and Blade, where you could answer a few questions about your past (like if you were an impoverished patrician, university student, etc.) and it would give you a starting scenario based on that.

Please, no. I would rather be able to choose if I am a musician or a warrior when I start. A great shield user or a great swordsdwarf. If I am a elf or a dwarf.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 03, 2012, 01:04:43 am »

Unfortunately, Corai, it's planned.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 03, 2012, 01:49:25 am »

If that's the case, then I hope it's set up so that the questions are fairly-easy to manipulate to get the results you'd like. It'd be the best of both worlds in that scenario; a logical starting point for roleplayers and a hopefully-straightforward-to-fill-out stat sheet for gamers.

E: Accidentally a whole two words :V
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 03, 2012, 02:15:44 am »

If that's the case, then I hope it's set up so that the questions are fairly-easy to manipulate to get the results you'd like. It'd be the best of both worlds in that scenario; a logical starting point for roleplayers and a hopefully-straightforward-to-fill-out stat sheet for gamers.

E: Accidentally a whole two words :V

It's that age-old battle between immersion potential and comprehensible game-mechanics. However I'm sure Toady will find an interesting way of implementing it, really there's no reason why you can't have an element of both: Be given the text description of your choices, as in Mount and Blade, but alongside it have a panel showing you what stat changes those choices represent.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 03, 2012, 04:07:52 am »

I think considered would be more accurate...

Spoiler: DF Talk 6 (click to show/hide)

There's more to the discussion on the transcript page.

On topic with the points issue...

Yeah, it's kind of silly to have any limitations in such a sandboxy game.

I think it's silly not to have points.  There seems to be a general trend in mainstream western games of late to move towards "sandboxing", fewer restrictions on player-character potential and action, because apparently people want to be able to do everything.  Perhaps I'm getting too old for new games now, but I like limits and getting (metaphorically) kicked in the teeth every now and then, and not being able to overcome some limits adds to the r/p experience IMO.

(Incidentally I think the same arguments apply to the tileset discussiona few pages back, there are significant merits to working within graphical limits not dissimilar to the way poets work within traditionally defined structural boundaries.)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 03, 2012, 05:03:33 am »

I think it's silly not to have points.  There seems to be a general trend in mainstream western games of late to move towards "sandboxing", fewer restrictions on player-character potential and action, because apparently people want to be able to do everything.  Perhaps I'm getting too old for new games now, but I like limits and getting (metaphorically) kicked in the teeth every now and then, and not being able to overcome some limits adds to the r/p experience IMO.

I have never had real problems with the amount of points given to demigods.  The only real problem is that I often start with a silver or copper blade when a bronze or iron blade would be available.  Also, getting armor is a pain, but playing as human and raiding a castle for gear solves that problem.  The lethality of getting hit with an arrow is also annoying (seriously, it feels like Achilles was a DF adventurer who only had nerves in his heel.)  I don't start with legendary skills, but I have enough to take on all but the most powerful enemies from the get-go.

(Incidentally I think the same arguments apply to the tileset discussion a few pages back, there are significant merits to working within graphical limits not dissimilar to the way poets work within traditionally defined structural boundaries.)

Ultimately, until the game is much closer to being complete, I expect there to be lots (and lots) of things that use the tilesets because Toady doesn't want to bog down development with better graphics.  Full graphics support would be interesting (though I actually enjoy the roguelike feel of pseudo-ascii), but they will be a pain to create before most of the required content is hashed out.  That may sound like a cop-out to some people, but remember, normal coding projects sit down and decide what they are going to do before jumping in and doing anything.  Toady has notes, but his answers to long term questions are often "We will cross that bridge when we come to it".  While I think his method is incredibly sloppy, I am not going to argue with results.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 03, 2012, 07:07:47 am »

As hermes showed, that's not quite the case. It would probably be most accurate to say that starting scenarios are planned both for adventurers and fortresses, but their eventual implementation is up in the air a bit.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 03, 2012, 11:44:37 am »

Quote from: Rockphed
(Incidentally I think the same arguments apply to the tileset discussion a few pages back, there are significant merits to working within graphical limits not dissimilar to the way poets work within traditionally defined structural boundaries.)

Ultimately, until the game is much closer to being complete, I expect there to be lots (and lots) of things that use the tilesets because Toady doesn't want to bog down development with better graphics.  Full graphics support would be interesting (though I actually enjoy the roguelike feel of pseudo-ascii), but they will be a pain to create before most of the required content is hashed out.  That may sound like a cop-out to some people, but remember, normal coding projects sit down and decide what they are going to do before jumping in and doing anything.  Toady has notes, but his answers to long term questions are often "We will cross that bridge when we come to it".  While I think his method is incredibly sloppy, I am not going to argue with results.
There's really no reason a full graphics system shouldn't be dynamically expandable. Instead of defining the tile for a new feature, Toady would define its default tile and assign it a token for individual graphic definitions. It should be a pretty trivial amount of extra work, once the system is in place.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:27:21 pm by Cruxador »

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:51 pm »

Well the selections of: Peasant, Hero, and Demigod will actually mean a lot more later on.

As for "limitations doesn't make sense in a sandbox game" I have to disagree. Even in Minecraft the game intentionally limits you.

Optional limits, yes. Mandatory limits, no.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 03, 2012, 04:52:54 pm »

No the description given was not only inaccurate to the version they were talking about

But it was also an option within it, meaning it wasn't manditory.

also

NO they won't be getting rid of Peasant, Hero, and Demigod because in the future Demigod actually refers to a demigod.

Optional limits, yes. Mandatory limits, no.

Yes... It has manditory limits. I'd think you would have to mod (essentially cheating) the game if you wanted a super start.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 03, 2012, 05:06:29 pm »

There's creative mode and console commands are now implemented into single player.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 748