Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806501 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2355 on: June 10, 2012, 08:53:06 pm »

Does "replacing losses" mean births in the world after world gen (rather than just in you're fortress?

If so I suppose that might lead into entities founding new sites (need to have someplace to put all those new citizens) or reclaiming abandoned ones. Might be reading too much into it I suppose but that sort of thing is planned right? The question is though, will it be sooner or later?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:11 pm »

Does "replacing losses" mean births in the world after world gen (rather than just in your fortress?)

Yes. The entire sentence is talking explicitly about entities other than you.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: June 10, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »

I have a world gen question.

For the tile counts in designating good/evil regions, for a given map size, what exactly is a small, medium or large region?

I'd like to see that configurable actually, maybe even with a cap on the large region size so it isn't always the ocean. Large evil mountain ranges are hard to come by because of that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:40:03 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: June 11, 2012, 01:04:00 am »

Semi-off-topic twofer, because I'm not good at staying away from caffiene.

A) How often do you look at mods?
B) Do you ever look at the forums and think to yourself "What the hell is my playerbase on?"

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: June 11, 2012, 01:16:42 am »

Toady mentioned before that he only looks at mods when somebody sends him a bugged save that uses them.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:12 am »

Yay ! More enemies to slay !

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: June 11, 2012, 05:13:07 am »

I find it awesome how the systems Toady has created in the past are usable for new features. In retrospect, a militia squad and a bandit gang are nearly the same thing.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:58 am »

The bandit gang will probably have a more functional moral compass.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:45 pm »

With these new features, are we actually going to have more interactions between civilisations? For instance, if we embark next to a gigantic city, or on a road, we might end up in conflict with the humans?

It sounds like we will finally be able to haul thugs into the local jail.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:58:34 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: June 11, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »

With these new features, are we actually going to have more interactions between civilisations? For instance, if we embark next to a gigantic city, or on a road, we might end up in conflict with the humans?

It sounds like we will finally be able to haul thugs into the local jail.
That's the eventual goal. The Caravan Release, was more about getting the world more living, and thinking on its own. From my understanding, the only real interaction is going to be largely trading.
The Army Ark is more about Civs interacting between each other. After the Caravan Arc is done, the world will hopefully be progressing and changing after World Gen is done. And from there, civilizations will be able to realize that there is a Dorf Fortress on their Sites and then decided what to do with it. That might include military action.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Heedicalking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: June 11, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »

Will local thugs be aware of what you are wearing? A guy with a knife shouldn't pick a fight with someone armored head to toe in steel.
Will we be able to increase the danger level in confrontations? For example, if a guy starts punching me, and I draw my sword and stab him once, will he start spilling the beans quicker than he would in fist-fight?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: June 11, 2012, 06:41:24 pm »

Will local thugs be aware of what you are wearing? A guy with a knife shouldn't pick a fight with someone armored head to toe in steel.
There is an eventual goal for NPCs to be aware of what you're wearing, and what each other are wearing. There a plethora of associated game play capabilities and interactions with wearing different clothing effecting the world. (Such as but not limited to: Disguises, Uniforms, and being recognized as a Foreigner.)

Will we be able to increase the danger level in confrontations? For example, if a guy starts punching me, and I draw my sword and stab him once, will he start spilling the beans quicker than he would in fist-fight?

For your specific example of interrogation, yes. In a more general sense, like, say in a bare fisted Bar Fight, then you pull out a sword. I dont know. I'd imagine that the answer is yes, eventually. But I dont recall any goal where that is explicitly stated. That might be emergent behavior from the interrogation stuff though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2367 on: June 12, 2012, 05:24:27 am »

There is an eventual goal for NPCs to be aware of what you're wearing, and what each other are wearing. There a plethora of associated game play capabilities and interactions with wearing different clothing effecting the world. (Such as but not limited to: Disguises, Uniforms, and being recognized as a Foreigner.)

Pants? What are ya a woman?
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:35 am »

So with the new complex faction interactions, will it be possible during Fort mode play for, say, some humans (for example) to show up on your map, without your being sure of what their intentions are; ie, you wouldn't know at first whether they were peaceful traders or bandits come to attack you?

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: June 12, 2012, 03:43:26 pm »

Will we be able to embark on other settlements anytime soon? I noticed I was able to embark on top of human towns way back in 40d, but the game wouldn't let me embark onto sections of them in 31.25 up through now.

I'd like to be able to use the houses in human towns so I don't have to do the work of chopping down trees/gathering a ton of clay to build all the houses myself.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 748