Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808580 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1320 on: April 10, 2012, 05:06:34 am »

Some animals are too small to yeild any meat.  Butchers seem to ignore them, probably to make sure they get the actually productive corpses before they rot.  I'm not certain the size of those things off the top of my head, but that may be the reason.
Size may vary for creatures of different body plans, but it's they same limit for butchers ignoring corpses as it is for slaughter jobs only leaving skulls. While a tame creature only leaves skull, the corpse of the same wild creature will be ignored and will never rot.

Supposedly, it will rot to skeleton, but skeleton will take very long time (10+ years) to rot to skull and bones.

Well, people claim that happens. I have never seen that happen myself.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1321 on: April 10, 2012, 07:56:25 am »

I am not sure if it was asked, but will the carts, loaded with COMBUSTIBLE LEMONS explosive or combustible stuff, like booze or modded material actually combust on collision with something that doesn't burn, but just of force?

There are no explosive materials at all in DF, so there are no impact-sensitive explosions.  Booze doesn't explode, it just burns and boils.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:36 am »

Are rollers assigned a direction, or do they just accelerate the carts in whichever direction they are already moving?

For example, if I had something like:

||
==roller==
      ||
     cart moving up
      ||

could I orient the roller to launch the cart to the right/left, or would it always shoot straight ahead?

Quote from: Toady devlog 4/6/12
There are powered "rollers" placed in strips that increase the speed of minecarts in a given direction

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:56 am »

Are rollers assigned a direction, or do they just accelerate the carts in whichever direction they are already moving?

For example, if I had something like:

||
==roller==
      ||
     cart moving up
      ||

could I orient the roller to launch the cart to the right/left, or would it always shoot straight ahead?

Toady's wording here ("one of four possible directions", emphasis mine) makes it sound like the rollers are assigned a direction at construction.

Quote from: tahujdt
Toady, will there be mechanism powered carts? Will we be able to link the carts to a waterwheel or whatever?

The carts can't be linked, but there are powered sections of the track that go in one of the four possible directions.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 10, 2012, 09:29:27 am »

Hm, follow-up question then:

What would happen if a moving cart hits a roller pointing perpendicular to its pathway?  Does it aquire a diagonal velocity? Does it just slow down, possibly turning if it's slow enough?  Does it instantly stop moving foreward to go in the new direction? Does it just derail then and there?

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:37 am »

So, if I got it right, it will look like this, where the arrows are the rollers, the middle is the station, and that is where the kickstart is needed in the first place.

Can we set the rollers to use a particular force? Just like we can set a variable weight sensitivity to pressure plates? And if no, then please? =3 Otherwise, I imagine them being too strong for some uses and too weak for others.

What would happen if a moving cart hits a roller pointing perpendicular to its pathway?  Does it aquire a diagonal velocity? Does it just slow down, possibly turning if it's slow enough?  Does it instantly stop moving foreward to go in the new direction? Does it just derail then and there?

Possibly it will only add speed if the cart was already moving in that direction, otherwise, if the new speed is applied in any way, a cart will not be able to leave a station from the same direction it entered, instead it will need an entrance and an exit, plus it will need bridge mechanisms to create appropriate junctions. That will take much much more room.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:48:41 am by Elone »
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

EternallySlaying

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:35 am »

This aught to be lawlsy...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:52:59 am by EternallySlaying »
Scamps could !!code!! this himself!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:59 am »

Will it ever be important to see carts or anything else fly in parabolae? 3d visualizers are cool utilities, but part of what makes DF different from Minecraft or Real-Time Strategy is the ASCII graphics (or primitive substitute of the same layout).

Can minecarts crash into the ceiling if sent rapidly off a ramp in a cave only one storey high (at any given point; obviously above and below the ramp the ceiling is a level higher/lower just as the floor is)?

Will whatever replaces happy/unhappy thoughts be equally hilarious? (E.g., will it still be possible to drink off the gloom of a relative's death? I always thought the weirdness of the system was more realistic than people gave it credit for, much like loyalty cascades, which once fixed so they're not inevitable should be brought back as possible since the concept is a feature, not a bug, in a game that models realistic relationships/loyalties along with realistic everything else.)

I think I had another question, but now I can't recall what it was.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 10, 2012, 10:26:32 am »

Kohaku, you should still be able to switch tracks by having retracting bridges built over down ramps. Each branch would require another Z level though.

Actually...

Since bridges can act as tracks and pressure plates can be built onto to a track. If bridges can be built over a portion of track with a turn, you might be able to get a switch track going. A 1*N retractable bridge could effectively turn a 90 degree turn tile into a straight or T tile (doesn't matter which as the cart will always go through the straight portion of the T without turning). That way when the bridge is out the cart will continue straight and when the bridge is retracted it will use the turn.

Granted this will only work if you can built a bridge over top of an existing piece of track and have it stay the way it is. But if it does work, it can work in a single z-level.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 10, 2012, 10:51:28 am »

Granite being a very rough stone, one would expect it to make it more difficult to increase a cart's speed and easier to decrease it. Inversly, obsidian is very slick, which would make increasing speed easier, but decreasing speed more difficult. I guess my question is, will track/break/accelerator(roller?) material/quality have any role in minecart physics. And I mean for this release of course, as I'm positive it will come in at that fabled "eventually" down the road.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:43 pm »

You're doing minecarts, but are you planning on doing anything with other vehicles? Like the wagons you're dwarves bring on embark?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 10, 2012, 01:11:31 pm »

Edit: Ignore my entire previous diagrams. I didn't quite understand what Toady meant with his "dead end into a corner" statement.

Also a question:
Will we be able to have 1-way stops? So could you have a stop that allowed carts coming from 1 direction to shoot through without being stopped or slowed, but carts from another to be stopped and need to be started again? (Potentially in a different direction?)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:03:54 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 10, 2012, 01:16:34 pm »

Granite being a very rough stone, one would expect it to make it more difficult to increase a cart's speed and easier to decrease it. Inversly, obsidian is very slick, which would make increasing speed easier, but decreasing speed more difficult. I guess my question is, will track/break/accelerator(roller?) material/quality have any role in minecart physics. And I mean for this release of course, as I'm positive it will come in at that fabled "eventually" down the road.

No, that won't be in the next version, for a number of reasons:
1. Individual stone types don't have distinct friction values in the raws yet
2. Obsidian can be much "rougher" than granite depending on how they've been smoothed
3. Rolling resistance != kinetic friction

You're doing minecarts, but are you planning on doing anything with other vehicles? Like the wagons you're dwarves bring on embark?

Nope:
Quote from: tHe_silent_H
Along with minecarts, can we expect the dwarves to use wheelbarrows, handcarts, horse/OX/(other load bearing domestic animal)carts, as well as backpacks. do you plan on giving paved roads a speed increase to these transports(inc wagons).

There will be wheelbarrows and animals will come up somehow.  That's probably it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 10, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »

Kohaku, you should still be able to switch tracks by having retracting bridges built over down ramps. Each branch would require another Z level though.

Actually...

Since bridges can act as tracks and pressure plates can be built onto to a track. If bridges can be built over a portion of track with a turn, you might be able to get a switch track going. A 1*N retractable bridge could effectively turn a 90 degree turn tile into a straight or T tile (doesn't matter which as the cart will always go through the straight portion of the T without turning). That way when the bridge is out the cart will continue straight and when the bridge is retracted it will use the turn.

Granted this will only work if you can built a bridge over top of an existing piece of track and have it stay the way it is. But if it does work, it can work in a single z-level.

If it counts as an engraving, that may well work.  If it counts as a construction, it probably won't.  Cart logic dwarfputing or automated logistics systems may well be a matter of whether or not you are working with natural stone, which means that it may require some careful obsidian casting to get right in other locations.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 10, 2012, 02:04:54 pm »

In response to Roy above, this would be much more easily solved if our levers could send an INVERTED signal to a chosen bridge. Thus one lever could be linked to two bridges, and when you flip the lever, one extends and the other retracts. Looks so easy to do if you're a dev, and so hard if you're a player...
▼ It's all their fault. ▼
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 748