Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3813319 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #375 on: March 02, 2012, 10:54:59 am »

There is a raw folder of book names. There's at least one project which extends the name list somewhat.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 02, 2012, 01:06:22 pm »

Toady turning into Notch is basically my worst nightmare.

It is worth remembering in the casual cash flow estimates that DF has also been getting increased media exposure in recent years- in particular, there was a big spike in donations the month that NY Times article came out.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:12 pm »

I missed the whole fight about scripting and about whether DF is heading in a good/bad direction. Maybe it's for the best :P. I'll just make a few points in a (hopefully) factual and non-controversial manner.

On the scripting topic: I don't think it's a good idea for Toady to spend a lot of effort to support modding for an alpha game. So, when he puts game data or game logic in human-readable text files, it should only be because it eases his work. For me the argument doesn't go much further than that.

About the direction in which DF is heading, I just want to chime in with my experience. I'm a long time fan (since before Boatmurdered) and reading the goals for this game used to bring tears to my eyes. However I'm now mostly unable to play (I do try and make one or two fortresses and adventurers every major release), and consequently stopped donating more than a year ago.

Why? It's because I found the game fun when I was still discovering new stuff about it, i.e. the journey from complete noob to seasoned player was fun. However, now that I've explored most of what the game has to offer, and find running a fortress rather easy, I seem to only see the numerous frustrations that doing anything in DF involve. For instance, just in my last session I struggled with all of those problems:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And those are just a sample of those that really infuriated me, there's no point in relisting the whole bugtracker here. Overall, I find that I'm really playing Workaround: The Game and not having that much fun overall. Actually, every time I try to come back to the game, re-learning those workarounds seems less fun. I send one or two fortresses to their doom and laugh as limbs fly everywhere, occasionally wonder at a nifty new feature like migrant vampires and trials, then move on to something else.

The whole point of this post is to show that there are some players who really want to love the game, but can't. They're enthralled by the complexity of the simulation behind it, and are willing to put up with DF's huge learning curve and complexity, absence of graphics/confusing graphics, and even interface (to a degree), but they still get put off by the clunkiness of the gameplay. I think that I'm a representative sample of a large number of players, and that Toady would gain a lot* from adressing these problems agressively.

*as in: money, good will, larger player base, less competition that tries to fill the gameplay void of DF

Why? Both are likeable fellas who write the games they want while blissfully ignoring the mainstream.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

Overall, I find that I'm really playing Workaround: The Game and not having that much fun overall.
This. I hope that Toady will squash all new bugs and the worst old ones - then it may be again playable for me.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:54 pm »

Why? Both are likeable fellas who write the games they want while blissfully ignoring the mainstream.

Notch- Gets good idea for game, mass markets the hell out of it, pushes releases out the door, accessibility first development focus, arbitrary "it's done" estimates to justify price increases, and that's without going into the various flaws of the game itself which I feel derive directly from his dev process.

Toady- Gets good idea for game, quietly carves loyal niche fanbase, has releases that may have too much content but never too little, mechanics/gameplay first development focus, game is free and lives on donations, and that's without going into the various virtues of the game itself which I feel derive directly from his dev process.

Or to put it another way, I see Notch as the pop star of the game dev world, whereas Toady is practically a, er, monk. Just about every design decision Notch has made, I would have done differently, and the reverse is true for Toady, something I've said about no other game before or since. It isn't that Notch made "wrong" decisions, it is just that the game he wanted Minecraft to be is not the game I wanted it to be, nor a game I care to play.

I know lots of people wish that DF was more like Minecraft in many respects, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I could fill threads about how I wished Minecraft was more like DF, but this isn't the place to do so.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:09 pm »

... whereas Toady is practically a, er, monk.

This made me laugh :P

I can honestly say that Toady cares a lot about Dwarf Fortress.  People complain all the time that he doesn't fix enough bugs, but I feel that these recent bugfix updates show that he does care enough to devote time to fixing them.  While it's certainly true that he could do a lot more toward fixing certain bugs or improving the interface, it's also true that he could be spending more time adding in new features.

A lot of people are complaining that the most recent release didn't have much in the way of Fortress mode updates. If Toady spent the time to fix every issue in the game, or even just all of the large issues (the dwarven clothing bug, AI stupidity, pathfinding lag, etc.), it would likely take him just as long as this release did, and it would result in exactly zero new features for every mode.  It would certainly make plenty of people happy, but it would also annoy plenty of people who didn't mind the bugs enough to justify devoting a year or more to fixing them all.

It seems to me that no matter what part of development Toady devotes himself to, he's just not going to make everyone happy.  I do think, however, that the current "Feature release, Bug fixes, Feature release, Bug fixes" cycle he's been in recently has allowed him to devote enough time to both sides of the issue to make a reasonably large number of people happy.

I personally would have no problem with it if Toady continued to work like this, even if I personally would like to see certain bugs resolved.  He's making a huge headway in that direction even as he continues to add new and fun things to the game. And who knows? He might just be able to fix, or at least improve, some of these bugs during this current bug fixing cycle.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 02, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Would I have been happier if the bugs that I run into a lot during play got fixed before the ones I never see/experience? Certainly. But the general development process addresses both my desire for new features and my need for bugfixing, and has done so reliably for the last few years.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:18 pm »

Sizik, you've just proved his "Workaround: the game" theory.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 02, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

damn, a logical person, awesome.

anyways one other point.
Notch is kinda mainstream dude... although Minecraft seems to be slowly turning towards better after recent rockiness, i partially attribute this to Jeb taking over design.

tl;dr this isn't really the 'talk about minecraft thread'.
[/minecraft]

On the note of newer stuff, I am really liking the new interaction system, and the modding possibilities it brings.

P.S. Bay12: the home of derailment itself. (seriously we are horrible bout this.)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:36 pm »

That's not how proof works.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

That's not how proof works.

*sigh, yes the game is hard to learn. its an alpha, and in 20-30 years it will be done. play it then i suppose  :)

anyways, yeah the game takes some workarounds to play.
if you are bored of the game itself, try some of the bigger mods, I.E. MasterworkDF
[/shameless promotion of favorite mod]

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:22 pm »

Okay, a random question that's actually relevant to caravan arc.

Playing adventurer mode, I've noticed there's a lot of stuff everywhere. All kind of items are so common that people seem to live in total excess. Even dungeons and catacombs are full of stuff, and selling loot from a single room can often make you so insanely rich. And there's nothing to spend the money for, because you can get anything very easily and cheap.

So... how much of the enonomy system is already in? I thought economy was already supposed to be in world-gen and adventurer-mode but to be honest, it still doesn't feel right. What is your end goal in terms of item abundance, prices, general feeling of economy?

Optional bonus question 1: As an adventurer in the future, what will I be supposed to spend all my money for? I mean, for all these treasures to have a purpose, I need to have a reason to get them, ideally other than just roleplaying/color. What is this reason?

Optional bonus question 2: Item abundance is even worse in fortress mode, where skilled dwarves can churn items so quickly that material/item availability soon becomes a non-issue. Nothing is ever scarce. Again, what is your final goal: how many items should the dwarves have? How easy should it be to obtain stuff? To use examples: Do you want dwarves running in rags and only nobles being able to afford rich clothes, do you want the players to be able to easily get a full plate mail for everyone, etc. etc.?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:29:49 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:33 pm »

If Toady spent the time to fix every issue in the game, or even just all of the large issues (the dwarven clothing bug, AI stupidity, pathfinding lag, etc.), it would likely take him just as long as this release did, and it would result in exactly zero new features for every mode.  It would certainly make plenty of people happy, but it would also annoy plenty of people who didn't mind the bugs enough to justify devoting a year or more to fixing them all.
If the game becomes playable without a workaround for every single gameplay element, I predict an exponential increase in the number of players. The tiny minority who can live with the current bugs and want more features to be piled up instead of fixes can go brood in their corner as far as I'm concerned, 'cause I know that's what they're telling me anyways. See "play the game in 20-30 years" above if you need an example.

Toady, in the current "bugfix arc", are there any plans to devise a system so that dwarves can intelligently place a lot of furniture and/or constructions without blocking each other, locking themselves up or blocking access to some of the designations? (Me, I'd just build a directed acyclic graph with those, taking into account where dwarves have to stand to build each thing, but you're the boss.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:58:12 pm by isitanos »

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2012, 07:20:18 pm »

How so? Of the three solutions posted, only the second is a workaround. The first and third problems work exactly as intended and "fixing" these would bring on a whole load of new problems.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 748