Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3764185 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7785 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:12 pm »

So is there any hope that next release I can assign my miners to militia as well as be maybe a wood chopper too without any issues?  I would think a simple if check (for militia) for if the equipment currently being carried could be used for the military uniform, to not drop it, but keep it, should do.
This is bug 1451. And no, it's unlikely to be resolved in the next version - while Toady went into the dwarven brain, he didn't specifically work on the dwarven military much. There's an off-chance that it was resolved incidentally, but more likely, it seems a candidate for the bugfix period after the next version (since it does involve dwarven brains in a way).
Would't it be more a job issue?

Well, solution is more general:

1) Dwarves should recognize that they are using item compatible with their military use and use it.

2) Dwarves should be able to carry unused equipment (backpack, holster, etc) and switch accordingly to situation.

That is inventory management issue, not job or military one. And since dwarf inventory management is not exactly developped...

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: October 18, 2013, 01:21:32 pm »

The worst part of this bug is not the fact that they need separate axe for woodcutting and axedwarfing, but the fact that all miners/woodcutters/hunters refuse to wear armor while civilian while being explicitly set to wear it. They drop all their armor and military equipment when undrafted, which means when you draft them again they have to wander the fort for long time collecting all the armor pieces again, instead of being ready for combat like all other dwarves can.
This is imho one of the worst bugs left over from last bugfixing phase and I really look forward for it to be fixed in next one.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:19 pm »

This is imho one of the worst bugs left over from last bugfixing phase and I really look forward for it to be fixed in next one.
Just keep in mind, I'm only speculating that it's a bug that could be hit in the next bugfix period, and can't guarantee that it'll get looked at.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: October 19, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »

I don't know if this was already answered, but does toady plan on adding slaves to Armok I spells?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:58:20 pm by ICBM pilot »
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: October 19, 2013, 06:03:05 pm »

I don't know if this was already answered, but does toady plan on adding slaves to Armok I spells?
Magic?

Totally. ToadyOne has spoken about adding a Magic System being a post v1.0 thing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: October 20, 2013, 03:01:17 am »

post v1.0 thing.

In 10-15 years, then.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: October 20, 2013, 09:06:45 am »

post v1.0 thing.

In 10-15 years, then.

Well, the interactions system is the start of a magic system.  It is currently somewhat vague and malformed, but Toady thinks he can easily make it into a proper magic system.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05:34 am »

Magic?

Totally. ToadyOne has spoken about adding a Magic System being a post v1.0 thing.
And if you're asking about specific effects, they probably will be possible, but not guaranteed.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: October 20, 2013, 10:52:07 am »

I don't know what you're talking about with magic, but there are slaves that show up in worldgen.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: October 20, 2013, 11:10:46 am »

post v1.0 thing.

In 10-15 years, then.

Well, the interactions system is the start of a magic system.  It is currently somewhat vague and malformed, but Toady thinks he can easily make it into a proper magic system.

It's already entirely possible to implement all manner of magic with the interactions system and some cleverness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: October 20, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

It's already entirely possible to implement all manner of magic with the interactions system and some cleverness.
But nothing really that flays off someone's skin, teleports a brain out of the body, or summons a generic peasant out of nothing.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: October 20, 2013, 11:56:06 am »

But nothing really that flays off someone's skin, teleports a brain out of the body, or summons a generic peasant out of nothing.

Actually, you can. you can make a syndrome that rots the skin and the skin only, and with Dfhack is posible to summon peasants
(masterwork) actually have a building to sumon peasants)
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: October 20, 2013, 12:04:40 pm »

Actually, you can. you can make a syndrome that rots the skin and the skin only, and with Dfhack is posible to summon peasants
(masterwork) actually have a building to sumon peasants)
Rotting isn't flaying, and third-party utilities don't count. :P
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: October 20, 2013, 12:05:09 pm »

And there's no body-part teleporting.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:35 pm »

hooved animals can teleport body parts out of the body.
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 748