Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769358 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7800 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »

No, they remove them through an incision that appears not dissimilar to a bullet wound.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: October 20, 2013, 01:23:24 pm »

post v1.0 thing.
In 10-15 years Never, then.
FTFY
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: October 20, 2013, 01:28:06 pm »

post v1.0 thing.
In 20 years, then.
FTFY
He was more right the first time

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: October 20, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »

It's unfair to try and put such an exact a date on it, or to say never. It's only been in development for, what, ~10 years so far?
It may seem like forever, but I'm sure that anywhere between 5 and 25 years we'll get 1.0.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: October 20, 2013, 02:53:03 pm »

I don't know if this was already answered, but does toady plan on adding slaves to Armok I spells?

I don't know what you're talking about with magic, but there are slaves that show up in worldgen.

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood was the game that Dwarf Fortress took the name of when it took over as the Big Bay 12 Fantasy Game. It had a magic system of sorts which basically involved:

Full body teleportation.

Body part teleportation.

Full body explosion.

Body part explosion.

Creature summoning.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: October 20, 2013, 06:46:21 pm »

Don't forget:

Full body petrification

Body part petrification

But yes, basically just those effects.

G D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: October 21, 2013, 06:06:29 am »

And healing spells - very usefull if you want to make clothes out of your own skin and survive that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: October 21, 2013, 08:54:29 am »

Don't forget:

Full body petrification

Body part petrification

But yes, basically just those effects.

Paralysis and motor nerve damage is closest to this. Not sure if you can make the paralysis syndrome apply to say an arm or leg rather than whole body paralysis.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:42 am »

Knew it! This will indeed be the release with a longer period of development since the start of Dwarf Fortress. Toady calculating the developing phase would take him at least 25 days more and then is some testing. We would perhaps have a December release if we are lucky, or a January maybe. Anyway, I think with that the old threshold will be surpassed (if I'm not wrong).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: October 21, 2013, 09:30:39 am »

Well, he is going to try and get any nasty bugs out first.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: October 21, 2013, 10:31:27 am »

It's to be expected, in my humble opinion this is the greatest update ever, even more than the 2010 one. I mean we finally have a dynamic world that keep going while we play, that's the base of everything else in the game, armies, wars, trade.... you name it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: October 21, 2013, 11:21:39 am »

DF has definitely been one of those games where patience is greatly rewarded.

I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if we could step into a parallel universe where DF was a "normal" commercial release. On one hand, Toady would have a team helping him to polish a lot of features, smooth out bugs, and optimize our FPS. On the other hand, the executives would likely try to curb his ambition, water down the difficulty, cut down on all the complex interactions, and other stuff that makes DF great.

I'd love it if Toady could get the best of both worlds, but I doubt major game companies would go for the long term investment.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: October 21, 2013, 02:05:44 pm »

DF has definitely been one of those games where patience is greatly rewarded.

I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if we could step into a parallel universe where DF was a "normal" commercial release. On one hand, Toady would have a team helping him to polish a lot of features, smooth out bugs, and optimize our FPS. On the other hand, the executives would likely try to curb his ambition, water down the difficulty, cut down on all the complex interactions, and other stuff that makes DF great.

I'd love it if Toady could get the best of both worlds, but I doubt major game companies would go for the long term investment.

Or quality sometimes......

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: October 21, 2013, 03:07:59 pm »

This is possible, if not 100% sure, the most complex game ever conceived, not by technical complexity alone, but by the very nature of it's simulations. No other game I know off ever dares to scratch the surface of the detailing of DF. Not only that, but it's the only one that actually create huge worlds filled with custom myths and histories worth of billionaire Hollywood movies, and it's not even complete!

My mind shrieks in curiosity and terror into thinking what the would the 1.0 version would be like.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 748