Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807919 times)

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4605 on: December 12, 2012, 05:01:06 am »

I cant recall wich release it was that occured on valentine's day... My girlfriend said toady was an evil and twisted man to ruin so heartily that muche women valentine's day. Maybe this time it will be for christmas :)
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: December 12, 2012, 05:17:48 am »

Christmas will probably be too soon. However, DF2010 got released on April Fools. DF2012 got released on Valentine's Day. What special day has Toady planned for the DF2013 release?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: December 12, 2012, 07:00:47 am »

Easter? That seems a somewhat reasonable time frame.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: December 12, 2012, 07:21:30 am »

The newly introduced national holiday of DF Release.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

Depending on how much actually remains to be done for this release, and whether or not Toady decides he just wants to push a release out over making sure everything is 100% ready (I seem to recall this happening once before in the time I've played), maybe New Years? Somehow, with all the changes, starting a new year with a new version seems fitting.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: December 12, 2012, 03:04:20 pm »

The new version will probably be DF2012: Christmas Edition, DF2012: Apocalypse Edition, or DF2013.

It may well be released on Christmas Day or earlier, if the progress is sped up significantly. We haven't had a progress update for days now; as of the last one the dwarven sites were done and Toady had fortress and adventurer un-retirement in progress, and was dealing with clearing out bugs. Kobold caves and finishing succession stuff were supposed to be up next before the release, so if that could be done in the slightly-less-than two weeks until Christmas or 9-10 days until the 21st we may well get a release.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »

I think he's been really fast lately - I don't follow the devlog so closely, but compared to some other time periods he's really just cranking out the new features.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:29 pm »

I think he's been really fast lately - I don't follow the devlog so closely, but compared to some other time periods he's really just cranking out the new features.

Given that, I'd just add a personal note to Toady to please try to get it out on the 21st or 25th because that would be epic in its own sense  8).

We're in an era of new features. It seems a lot of time was taken to get dwarf fortress to work properly in 3D, and after that the major framework for making the game come alive had to be put in (towns, cities, night creatures) and we're coming to the end of that second cycle, and getting a lot of new, high-visibility improvements and additions to the game.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:44:00 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: December 12, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

the fact that toady is adding major features at a very quick pace is a solid clue that the release is still far away. he'll still take his time to polish the recently introduced features with more patience after building the groundwork for them, and will release only after spending two to four months crushing newly introduced bugs

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:48 pm »

You dirty fun spoiler! The worst part is that you might be right, from what I learnt since I got here (and what I gather from more experienced bay12ers posts) toady doesnt abruptly release anything... Aaaargh the apocalypse is coming and we wont see anything of the next version :'(
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:36 pm »

Will adamantine ever be changed so that it will still be possible for the fun rush to surprise you? For instance, as it stands the tubes are fairly easy to check and disarm with fortifications, and adamantine can safely be mined from around the edges. It's not really a simulation of dwarves digging too greedily, as I assume it was intended to be, but rather a set amount of safe stuff, before you have to wall up your mine shaft and move on. In the future will there be things like different shaped adamantine veins to make the danger of mining the metal less predictable and actually simulate risk/reward instead of purely reward with a deadly surprise your first time?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:02:57 pm by MrWillsauce »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »

Your questions probably won't be answered unless they're publicly shown and green. No need for spoiler hiding here.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:37 pm »

Your questions probably won't be answered unless they're publicly shown and green. No need for spoiler hiding here.
Thank you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:49 pm »

Depending on how much actually remains to be done for this release, and whether or not Toady decides he just wants to push a release out over making sure everything is 100% ready (I seem to recall this happening once before in the time I've played), maybe New Years? Somehow, with all the changes, starting a new year with a new version seems fitting.

Yeah, the .31 release back in 2010. He put it out since it'd been like two years since he'd released anything, and although I personally was delighted it was certainly buggy as hell. The whole experience was nothing anyone particularly wants to repeat, least of all Toady.

I really really REALLY doubt we'll get it before the new year- personally, I'm thinking Valentine's Day is a reasonable guesstimate, but my money is on March. Rest of December for Dorfs, early January finishes up the dorf stuff and gets through Kobolds, February for succession stuffs and wrapping everything together, mid-March by the time he gets it to a place he likes. Kobolds are the one I really don't know what he's planning to do there, so I don't know how long it'll take- they might get done in a week if they still just hang out doing nothing in caves, or they might eat up a whole month themselves if Toady feels they've been neglected for too long.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: December 13, 2012, 06:20:47 am »

I think that mid-March is good. There are a lot of things left to do, and unless Toady hire some people I don't think he can polish all these huge new things so quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 748