Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...  (Read 10676 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game seems to have gotten a whole lot more difficult...
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »

Maybe it's just cause my ambush is only novice, BUT  starting a fire and running into the smoke does not obscure their vision apparently kept saying "You can't hide, someone sees you" and this was in I think the thickest smoke (Solid grey block?)

No, while smoke covers icons objects and people in and behind them are still visible (if you want to know what's there, just use [l]).

It looks to me like the number of companions you have no longer effects how large bandit ambushes are. Four companions and I get swarmed; no companions, I still get swarmed.
Get as many companions as humanly possible and pray, it looks like.

Actually it seemed like their numbers are still based on your numbers, but now they always have more. Someone mentioned having 20 companions and getting swarmed by 45 bandits.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »

Okay, these ambushes are overkill.  I got ambushed by about thirty guys, and then traveled one space before getting ambushed again.  I could still see the pile of corpses from the previous battle.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »

My pet peeve at the moment is the vast number of inhabitants I keep running into in the basement of city centre structures. Why are there dozens of hostile entities one stiarway down from the leader of my civ?
This is a blank sig.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 06:20:57 pm »

Wtf?!? I went to a tomb,my companion got raped by a camel but i saved him, and when i went into the tower, it turns out hes a mummy! How did i not notice THAT!

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »

I have a problem with a huge bandit gang called Controllers of Adventuring. They are very efficient in controlling adventuring of all sorts - I have been able to maim some of their members, but out of nowhere came so many silver arrows that my hero turned to a pincushion. Happens every time.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:25 am »

Just tried an honest straight-up fighting human; even with save-scumming, this is retarded.
Started. Headed towards town. Bandit ambush. Silver arrow strikes you in the head, jamming the skull.
Started. Headed towards town. Bandit ambush. The Hammerer punches you in the head from the side, jamming the skull.
Started. Headed towards town. Bandit ambush. The Swordsman charges you, you tangle together, he gets up and wails on you 6 times before displaying the 'you're dead' message.

Alright. Time for luck manipulation.

Started. Headed towards town. Bandit ambush. 12 reloads later, I still hadn't managed to kill the solo hammerman that spawned next to me. I quit trying when a shattered finger made my guy go unconscious, (meanwhile the hammerman didn't seem to flinch at impaled livers, shattered toes, nor nerve damage to an arm). The first quarter of that was spent figuring out my average-size human needs to dodge away and only strike-- high agility netted me a total of 1000 speed out the door-- the bastard kept losing the race back to one's feet. And this is a hero, mind you. And then there's the arrows perforating heart, spine, and head.

Archery/sneak/trance/savescum seem to be salvation in this release.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:08 am »

Bandits are actually dangerous if you're just starting. Train up sneaking as much as you can, then train weapon/armor skill on wildlife. Don't fast travel at first, and you won't see many bandits, if any.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 11:01:48 am »

Stick to Forests when you can. Its plausable there to just duck behind a tree and hide if ambushed. Ambushing, Throwing, Knapping, and defensive skills are all you need for the most part. You can be more deadly with ranged attacks than any NPC by machinegunning a crapton of sharp rocks or 'borrowed' weapons/metal gear. Just Kite them and throw stuff until they no longer pose a major threat, then finish them off one at a time. Its even better when your sneaking, you can throw everything included the modded in kitchen sink at them and they wont even bother looking for you.

That said, yeah, I am have a much more difficult time with non-exploity straight Melee characters.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16:10 am »

So, like most people, I've noticed that the content of the markets and shops is skewed towards the useless. However, I've been noticing another thing, and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well:

So far, whenever I encounter a shop selling metal items (and there don't seem to be many,) it doesn't look like any of them sell anything made out of alloys. I genned this particular world to be pretty rich in minerals, when I shop, I see a lot of copper, a good bit of silver, and occasionally some iron, but no pewter, no bronze, and no steel. (I modded the humans to be able to make steel, since mountain halls are currently inaccessible.)

Has anyone encountered a shop selling items made out of alloys? I understand that Toady is starting to get some sort of trade/production going during worldgen, and from where I sit it seems like smelter reactions are not occurring.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

I can't find a metal shop that actually has stuff in in inventory.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

Note to anyone out there:  Start with at least EXPERT in dodging if you want to have any sort of chance in avoiding arrows and bolts and everything else thrown your way.

My current character hasn't leveled up ONCE in EXPERT dodging, but has only been shot in the hand with an arrow (which was really unlucky of me at the time). 

The only other times I have been hit with projectiles was when I was fighting Olm people in the sewers and they were shooting blowdarts that hit me in the cloak/back area while I was fighting other people.

Oh yeah, and if this is true about Olm people, they only carry wooden spears and shields, nothing else!  They make the perfect training fodder for working on your weapon skills and armor skills.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 05:52:42 pm »

Dodging is essential, so are SHIELDS. You can block the arrows most of the time even with extremely low skill. Copper shield + competent shield user = dead archers. 98% of the time.

Offence wise, I have done extremely well with Great Sword User and Competent Thrower. Save your sword for clean up, use BOLTS! Throwing bolts is just as effective as shooting them! Its also fairly easy to pick 30+ of em' off a dead bandit.

May this bring many elven ambushers to their deaths.

Edit: Also, Bogeymen are extremely weak in this version. Kite them and charge them down individually and they are fairly simple to kill.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:54:29 pm by JJtoocool »
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:42 pm »

Edit: Also, Bogeymen are extremely weak in this version. Kite them and charge them down individually and they are fairly simple to kill.

They were weak before as well. Problem was they had a high chance to hit/block. x3-50 bogeymen attacking you at the same time = death.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2012, 06:04:22 pm »

Once I get past a certain level they only seem to be able to kick my teeth. This was true in DF2010 and in the new DFVDM
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »

Alright, so Toady is in fact bringing ambush levels back to about what they were, and also fixing the glitch where some worlds caused crashes when you talk to people.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6