Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1043044 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2985 on: October 27, 2012, 04:36:10 pm »

Learned a few things recently and figured I'd share:
  • If a tree is given an ocean biome when you embark there will be trees in the ocean (and occasionally grow on the beach).
  • Apparently CE_IMPAIR_FUNCTION on the thought bodyparts causes you to be unable to breathe, stand, grasp, and survive a hit to any bodypart. If a creature's brain is impaired and you give it the lightest love-tap anywhere the creature will be struck down and you will be credited with the kill.
  • Creatures composed entirely out of (dwarf) skin are impervious to bludgeon damage, probably because the whole creature is too elastic.
  • A creature composed entirely of one tissue doesn't seem to be able to receive a compound fracture and as such can eventually recover from all of their wounds.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

MCipher

• Bay Watcher
  • The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: October 27, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »

Well, more stupid modding questions.

Can you make an adjective appear IN FRONT of the shape?

Can you make them engrave something from descriptor_shapes into an important event? like,

Code: [Select]
Engraved on the wall is a masterwork engraving of dwarves by Mistem ObokUrist, the dwarves are building. This relates to the founding of X in Y]
Or
Engraved on the wall is a masterwork engraving of Urist McQueenConsort and Mistem McBornToday by Mistem ObokUrist, Urist McQueenConsort is looking at Mistem McBornToday. This relates to the birth of Mistem McBornToday in 72.
Or is that hardcoded like some... other... things are.
Also, I just realised we now have over 200 pages of questions and answers. Wow.
No longer at critical sig mass!
OOC: Hans Panda: Everyone's going to die. That's how they usually end.
OOC: Hans Panda: I try not to run them that way.
OOC: Hans Panda: But apparently when I'm the villain, I'm too efficient.
OOC: Hans Panda: Even when I monologue.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: October 27, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »

Unfortunately, according to the wiki, MATERIAL_SIZE is a required token.  Weapons must have it or they won't work.

I think instead you can just not give them the weapon in the entity files, but give them the reaction to make it.

What, really? They show up just fine in arena mode.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: October 27, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »

Well, more stupid modding questions.

Can you make an adjective appear IN FRONT of the shape?

Can you make them engrave something from descriptor_shapes into an important event? like,

Engraved on the wall is a masterwork engraving of dwarves by Mistem ObokUrist, the dwarves are building. This relates to the founding of X in Y]
Or
Engraved on the wall is a masterwork engraving of Urist McQueenConsort and Mistem McBornToday by Mistem ObokUrist, Urist McQueenConsort is looking at Mistem McBornToday. This relates to the birth of Mistem McBornToday in 72.
Or is that hardcoded like some... other... things are.
Also, I just realised we now have over 200 pages of questions and answers. Wow.

The examples you posted aren't shapes, so no.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: October 28, 2012, 06:55:03 pm »

*Coughcough*

What I meant to say was that I am having trouble with my explosions. They keep exploding when I don't want them to, killing the dwarves and ruining the workshop.

And my P key is stuck, so I will have to edit it after I type this. Little did I know just putting my cursor in here would mess me up...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:17:18 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: October 28, 2012, 07:00:02 pm »

Having some problems with your p key, Stirk?

Anyway, yeah, you need to give the enemy the interaction to do the explosion, not have the dwarf itself do it.

(Just so you know, he said "I have a problem with the exlposives. They keep going off on the dwarf rather then the intended target when they are created. And I have my P key stuck, so I will have to edit this so you can read it.")
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:10:24 pm by Putnam »

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #2991 on: October 28, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »

I have a problem with the explosives.
They keep going off on the dwarf rather than the intended target when they are created.
And I have my p key stuck, so I will have to edit this so you can read it.

No idea how to help, but making sense of your post weren't too hard.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: October 28, 2012, 07:20:43 pm »

Anyway, yeah, you need to give the enemy the interaction to do the explosion, not have the dwarf itself do it.

Ah, if it where only that easy. The "explosives" is, well, and explosive metal that is used for things you want to explode, like landmines and rockets. When it gets to 1060 urist, it explodes, so when it hits a hemotherm it evaporates to gas and a syndrome. This works great in arena mode, but the problem is that in the production of it (So it can be used in fortress) it always explodes the second it was made. I thought it was just the scorching area I was in, but it appears to happen in other locations as well, even underground. Any idea how to fix this?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: October 28, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »

Hey hey, me again.

I finally found what was wrong with my reactions not showing up. I left the [OBJECT:REACTION] tag at the top out. *headdesk*

So, now the dorfs can construct my weapons, but the weapons don't use any of the reagents...still. Same problem with the custom workshop, it doesn't need any materials to be built. This isn't that big a deal with the workshop, if it is a bit cheap. however, the fact the weapons get made out of nothing and have no material base makes them useless when it comes to killing things.

If one reagent is incorrectly tagged, like what I suspect the trap_comp_mechanism is, then would that be enough to completely screw up all the others? I had assumed that the reaction would just not be completed, and the game would spam "Cancels 'Forge whatever':Needs reagent "<INCORRECTLY TAGGED REAGENT>"

I may just make my own mechanism for sole crafting purposes and use that instead, but I wanted to see if anyone could maybe help out with this. I have the reagents/building materials tagged, the game just doesn't recognize them.

Spoiler: reactions: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: workshop (click to show/hide)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: October 28, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

I finally found what was wrong with my reactions not showing up. I left the [OBJECT:REACTION] tag at the top out. *headdesk*

Told you to show us the top....

[BUILDITEM:2:TRAP_COMP_MECHANISM:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC]

Don't think that is right. Try something more like [BUILDITEM:2:TRAP_COMP_MECHANISM:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]. Why is the inorganic there? That goes for pretty much all of them.

Then this [BUILDITEM:3:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC] Should be more like this: [BUILDITEM:3:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]

Now dinner. While eating dinner:

Mechanisms isn't a trap component. Going to have to find out what that is, or alternatively, make your own. Like in the tool fire, or in the toy file, I don't know if you can even use mechanisms as building material.

You should also keep in mind while you are doing this that the dwarves will pick a random metal bar for each one, you may consider making a separate reaction for each metal.

Well that is pretty much it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:52:52 pm by Stirk »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now dinner. While eating dinner:

Mechanisms isn't a trap component. Going to have to find out what that is, or alternatively, make your own. Like in the tool fire, or in the toy file, I don't know if you can even use mechanisms as building material.

see, that's what I thought, since I couldn't find the raws or any tag really for mechanisms. I assumed that it would be trap_comp since that seemed like a perfectly logical label for it. My guess is it's one of those things that's hard coded in and can't really be messed with. Kinda a shame, in my opinion.

also, I did "show you guys the top" but there was nothing there to even show in the first place.

Onwards to defining a toy for using in my reactions! Prepare for more of my constant questions as more things go wrong!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: October 28, 2012, 08:02:24 pm »

You can use mechanisms in reactions; they're called TRAPPARTS

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: October 28, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

see, that's what I thought, since I couldn't find the raws or any tag really for mechanisms. I assumed that it would be trap_comp since that seemed like a perfectly logical label for it. My guess is it's one of those things that's hard coded in and can't really be messed with. Kinda a shame, in my opinion.

...I guess you can use them. I just looked in trap components and said "Nope. Not here". Guess I could have used the wiki....

also, I did "show you guys the top" but there was nothing there to even show in the first place.

Probably why I was confused.

So....Anything about my exploding problem?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: October 28, 2012, 08:09:27 pm »

Yeah, make the boiling point, say, 10066.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:18 pm »

Yeah, make the boiling point, say, 10066.

But what did help is moving the [MATTFIXEDTEMP] thing. I had tried making it incredible hot in the early days to mimic explosions, and it didn't do anything in arena mode..... Fixed the problem, thanks.

That cat guy has been gone for a while. Do you think he is ok?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:27:18 pm by Stirk »

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 544