Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1043802 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1530 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:14 pm »

In that case the food item token is broken. I tried it long ago once, but never got it to work, so I cant help much. But a CTD I usually get when creating something that has an invalid item token, like bodyparts, bones, corpses or creatures... I think prepared meals are the same. You could however create an edible-raw custom plant called "biscuit" and use that as a product.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »

Will a caste with a [POP_RATIO] of 0 be absent in worldgen and fortress mode? I was just wondering if I could make Adventurer-only castes (sorcerer, etc) that would not appear in the world at all and only appear as adventurers.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1532 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:01 pm »

Sadly no. Popratio:1 and all other castes having popration:100000 works, in a way. But popratio:0 will still appear, both in fortress and adv. mode. I think they revert back to default.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1533 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:25 pm »

Meph is correct 0 and -# will revert back to default. The method Meph suggested is the only way.

EDIT:
Now back to my question, is it just PET non-civ/fortress played entites that suffer from sterile issues from an IMMOBILE tag? or did I have 18 different tests go horribly wrong?
And everytime I placed a IMMOBILE on the MALE or FEMALE the females just stopped breeding, altho leaving the IMMOBILE tag on the child (third caste) had no effect and they happily got busy
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:42:07 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1534 on: May 16, 2012, 09:44:47 pm »

Hugo, I seriously think that no one has done any science on breeding and immobile tags. I personally have immobile tags only on genderless constructs, so I cant help. Sponges, the only ofiicial immobile creature, have no child tag at all, so they dont help as test subject.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:31 pm »

*sad face* I guess I am the only one that has been screwing around with that then. Also:

@ Hugo L
have you played as your Creations and seen them reproduce in-game?
I guess I worded my findings wrong, I should have said:
IMMOBILE acts like STERILE as well when playing in fortress mode, if the creature is incapable of moving. Then breeding is impossilbe I have done several tests, all of which showed no breeding unless both MALE and FEMALE pairs lacked the IMMOBILE tag.
But I think worldgen doesn't care, it just looks for  is there a MALE is there a FEMALE does both castes have CHILD/BABY/BOTH (believe me all castes need a CHILD/BABY tag, I haven't tested on leaving one caste without those tags.)
Then worldgen happy with its findings breeds the creatures. But ingame I think movement is required for spores to work.

I will do one more test and see if IMMOBILE will affect the breeding of the played creature (and not a PET and by that I mean not a DWARF)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 16, 2012, 10:02:14 pm »

I've been screwing around with it, but I never tested it long enough to tell.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1537 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »

Well, the test will be fairly easy, just give dogs and cats immobile, buy a ton at embark, wait an ingame year.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:09 pm »

acually it's around late summer early autume they give birth (trust me I saw the "stray cat has given birth to kittens" so many damn times)

I think PETs give birth every 6- 6.5 months starting from when they have a breeding partener.

These are my tests

All three castes (Male, Female, product) have IMMOBILE
Failed

one caste (product) had IMMOBILE
success

One caste male had IMMOBILE
Failed

One caste female had IMMOBILE
Failed

No castes had IMMOBILE
Success (knew that one)

All done with a 2x2 embark with FPS cap set to 0 (un restrained) got on avg 20k+ fps, zoomed to early autume in about 5 mins (maybe less, I ran way too many tests)

EDIT:
Also did a two version (MALE product or both Male and female or female and product, they all failed)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 16, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »

Oh, I thought you meant worldgen. Well, immobile creatures reproduce in worldgen, can't vouch for ingame. Keep doing science, looks like tests are supporting your hypothesis. Try doing cats and dogs at once, so you can test 2 variables, and wait about 5 years.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »

Oh, I thought you meant worldgen. Well, immobile creatures reproduce in worldgen, can't vouch for ingame. Keep doing science, looks like tests are supporting your hypothesis. Try doing cats and dogs at once, so you can test 2 variables, and wait about 5 years.

I guess you had to throw the "Maybe IMMOBILE just slows down breeding" card didn't you :P but 5 years is a bit harsh, and the mod Im making would be crippled without those producers making valuable shaping material for so long.

argh im tired of doing science on this matter and will just accept my own findings, I just pasture the male in a 1x1 pasture and pretend it can't move.

I have other !!SCIENCE!! that must be done (this bloody mod is making a mad scientist out of me, so many new methods I've been trying. Most failed, but they had to be tried)

Next testing:
Material Emissions (two different materials at once?)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1541 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »

Simply give them a syndrome with speed_percentage_change:1. They dont move much then ;)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 16, 2012, 11:03:56 pm »

Simply give them a syndrome with speed_percentage_change:1. They dont move much then ;)
True that works for my Giant rat spawners (slowly crawl across the map, power spawning feral rats on it's way out, unless something gets it's attention then it stay, spawning more and more...)

But these Servant Minds have incredible magic cpacities, and have a large arsonal of spells to protect themselves (Ice Shards, Searer (cluster F**k of fireballs), Slow, and they can also boost the healing rate of nearby creations (player made)) if they are slower they won't be able to cast as often right? (this is excluding FREE_ACTION)

I'll make a cage like workshop that is 3x3 with the middle walkable and the work location all around the outside, so you can build it right on the SM. call it a servant platform.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:16 pm »

It would slow them down significantly, though the slowest speed you can get with that is 99, so about 1/10 the speed of the average dwarf. Also rather then using a syndrome just give them something like [SPEED:10000] and you can probably actually get slower speeds that way.

Also yeah, having a slower speed will result in less attacks/spells being cast.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 16, 2012, 11:14:18 pm »

Yea thats what I don't want, they have to be like an organic super computer, using magic currents to control machiery (in this case activating the Micro organisms inside the beetles so they can process plant matter, into magically charged essence.) Might make them power some golem creatures (first form is IMMOBILE and gets transformed into a version that lacks the tag, allowing movement. Or something that makes them stop and go, needing charging from a SM)

Shame creatures can't make power for things like rollers for minecarts and stuff (maybe Toady should put GEN_POWER back in and give it that function :P)

But I have a great list of Creations and spells to make, not to mention a way to control what your shaper can make from essence. (Since every creation has a different purpose) also fractions, and fully controllable creations...
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 544