Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mini-rules  (Read 7328 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-rules
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »

I pander to my OCD and micromanagement tendencies.  All (non-temporary) rock constructions made of stone blocks.  And of a particular kind of stone blocks.
I would probably do this too, if only it was easier to make things out of specific materials. I must be less OCD than you, since I can't make myself go through the trouble of setting up custom stockpiles and restricting workers to burrows containing only the correct materials...
All that is necessary is reading the block type you have selected and not using it if its the wrong type ...
But then I have tons of blocks left lying around of the wrong material.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »

I pander to my OCD and micromanagement tendencies.  All (non-temporary) rock constructions made of stone blocks.  And of a particular kind of stone blocks.
(Forgot to say, temporary constructions, e.g. access walkways from which to build corner and otherwise inaccessible-to blocks) are generally also all of the alternate-colour-du-jour material (albeit non-block), and that is usually bright and distinctive.  E.g. microcline, ovaline, cinnabar...   Assuming I'm not using that material (or material of that colour) elsewhere.  Does sort of become less obvious when building in a snow clime, but I still know!)
I would probably do this too, if only it was easier to make things out of specific materials. I must be less OCD than you, since I can't make myself go through the trouble of setting up custom stockpiles and restricting workers to burrows containing only the correct materials...
Easy enough to do.  Easier than it was in 40d time when you had to trick masons behind some doors that you'd then lock, and have to pre-equip with food and drink.  Burrows can be set to cover food'n'drink areas, or the food'n'drink area burrow can have the same dwarves added, depending as to preference.  Custom stockpiles are also a lot easier, since they were rationalised a bit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »

But then I have tons of blocks left lying around of the wrong material.

If I get a lot (because I didn't make selective block-making quite strict enough, or I was just pissing into the wind looking for any block I can get any number of, at the start) then I can be persuaded to make a separate phase of the project (the roof to the enclosure, and every wall and fortification that I'm putting up there) in this new colour.  Except that these project stages often need so much more stone that I have to kick start a new stone block industry, with (if I haven't already prepared for this eventuality) a new selective stockpile and select-from-that masonry workshop all enclosed by a particularly selective burrow, within which I shall transfer some selected low-level masons...
Pages: 1 2 [3]