Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf killed for "violation of production order"  (Read 7837 times)

AlphaStriker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf killed for "violation of production order"
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:13:19 pm »

So I had just finished a room for a noble and started smoothing the stone when out of nowhere a recruit comes and kills one of my dwarfs who was working on the walls.
I checked the dwarven justice screen and apparently he violated a production order, the injured party was my broker who at the time was inside the trade depot.
I have no idea why this happened and is there a way to stop it from happening in the future ?

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf killed for "violation of production order"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »

Was your broker also your mayor at some point? Nobles, like mayors and barons, regularly mandate the production of particular items (These can be seen via your (n)obles screen). Failure to comply with this results in punishment for one of your dwarves. If you don't have a jail, this means a beating.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:21:09 pm »

A noble in your fortress passed a mandate for some item or material to be produced.  Presumably your mayor, or whatever noble you have assigned that is also your broker.  You didn't produce the mandated items in time, so a dwarf was chosen to be punished.  You didn't make a jail, so the only punishment available was a beating.

To prevent this, pay attention to announcements to see when a mandate is passed, and periodically check your Nobles screen to see if there are any item mandates pending.  Also, build a jail so dwarves can be punished by prison time instead of a beating.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AlphaStriker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:26:13 pm »

Yeah, the broker was also my mayor at some point and I didn't pay any attention to his mandate.
Guess I should build a jail so next time a random dwarf doesn't get a beating with a steel spear through his head.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »

It should be noted that beatings aren't supposed to be lethal, but they are for the following 2 reasons:

1. If the fortress guard assigned to Beat Criminal is wielding a weapon, he will use that weapon to attack the criminal instead of using his bare hands.
2. Even if the fortress guard is unarmed, bare-handed combat often results in "jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain" and causing instant death.

Back in 0.28.181.40d and earlier, neither of these were problems. If I were sufficiently motivated, I might be able to come up with a binary patch to fix the first one (there's a "suppress weapon" flag that's supposed to be set during beatings - either it's not being set, or it's not being checked), but for the second one we'll have to hope that Toady eventually fixes it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 05:45:45 pm »

what really sucks is when your mayor sets a mandate INSTANTS before being replaced as mayor, thus ending the mandate with failure.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »

what really sucks is when your mayor sets a mandate INSTANTS before being replaced as mayor, thus ending the mandate with failure.

Fortunately, this never happens.  When a mayor is replaced, any active mandates that mayor had are cancelled rather than failing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »

Fortunately, this never happens.  When a mayor is replaced, any active mandates that mayor had are cancelled rather than failing.
Correct - conveniently, this can even alert you to the fact that the mayor was replaced, since you'll get the message "[Mayor]'s mandate has ended" rather than "[Mayor] has ended a mandate".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

Your best bet in the current version is to just not bother having a guard in the first place. They're not really good for anything but disrupting fortress life, usually over some silly mandate you can't meet.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:52:20 am »

Punishments may be deferred indefinitely, and there are good an bad thoughts that go with it (bad for freeloaders nobles, good for the victims criminals.) but they won't go away until punishment is given.
I've run into trouble trying to setup a justice system bc the beater prioritized doling out punishment over picking up equipment. So rather than getting a beating with a wood axe, he got brain punched. Probably a good idea to setup prisons before electing a masterbeater.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 04:17:48 am »

Correct - conveniently, this can even alert you to the fact that the mayor was replaced, since you'll get the message "[Mayor]'s mandate has ended" rather than "[Mayor] has ended a mandate".
For a regular citizen, yes, but if the mayor is also a "minor noble" (like in the OP) I'm not so sure. The noble screen indicates that brokers, etc. are capable of maintaining mandates even if they never issue them in that role. I have seen this occur at least two times in the current version (i.e. the ex-mayor/broker has [MANDATE] highlighted).

Your best bet in the current version is to just not bother having a guard in the first place. They're not really good for anything but disrupting fortress life, usually over some silly mandate you can't meet.
I prefer to have a guard for roleplaying reasons. They can also potentially nip a tantrum spiral in the bud. (Of course, they can also make it worse if your jail isn't big enough...)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 07:07:55 am »

Make a guard and give him a training weapon, so at the very least he'll be striking your dwarf with a wooden weapon.  Or equip him with a wooden crossbow so he'll be doing blunt damage with a wooden weapon, both are viable alternatives really. 

Although I'm not sure if making a big enough prison would result in the people in question being sent to jail for a time being instead of being beat to death.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 12:10:26 pm »

In my experience, having a jail results in nearly all punishments for production mandates being converted into jail time.  Make sure you use chains, not cages, for the jail, and have food and either a drink stockpile or a well adjacent to each chain, and you should have no deaths in prison.  I have still had an occasional beating even with a well-stocked prison.  I suspect there is some random factor to the punishment.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:46:16 am »

Make sure you use chains, not cages, for the jail, and have food and either a drink stockpile or a well adjacent to each chain, and you should have no deaths in prison. 

you can still have dwarves who go mad if they're put into prison and are already unhappy with life. this will result in death.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 02:52:43 am »

Each of my prison cells has a waterfall view, masterwork beds, food and drink stockpiles. Prison time typically raises their moods to ecstatic.
Pages: [1] 2