Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Big forts kill the fun  (Read 22189 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Big forts kill the fun
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 07:18:09 pm »

might be a hard cap you set or was already in place at 200 dorfs. Or nearly every single non-caravaneer/royal lives in your fort now.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 07:20:01 pm »

might be a hard cap you set or was already in place at 200 dorfs. Or nearly every single non-caravaneer/royal lives in your fort now.

How do I change it?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »

either the int.txt or d_int.txt file has a population thing in it. just punch in the desired population cap and presto.

both are under the data folder if I recall right.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 07:47:56 pm »

either the int.txt or d_int.txt file has a population thing in it. just punch in the desired population cap and presto.

both are under the data folder if I recall right.

Thanks. I set the limit to 800. One of two things will happen I think. 1, I will be playing untill it just slows to a crawl before hitting 800, OR (and more likely) it will crash on saving, loading, or resuming after loading.

Lets see if I can get to 800.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »

NO! I like it NEAT.

DF needs more jobs that take up several dwarfs. Assigning Idlers is a PAIN, and having them idle means they will be FRIENDS. And FRIENDS GET MAD WHEN OTHER FRIENDS DIEEEEE  :-X

puppy falls fix that as far as i remember

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2012, 08:30:32 pm »

I like to keep the population lower, somewhere around the 80 range I'm happy with. Anything higher than that and all the new dwarves just end up being additional military/haulers. I'd prefer to fight with a smaller military against huge enemy armies anyway. It just makes it that much more awesome. I usually end up with triple or quadruple siege parties at once by then (with each one having multiple groups of enemies per siege force). My worlds tend to have 13+ enemy civilizations, so plenty of sieges and ambush parties to be found.

Plenty of mega/semi-beasts and titans in the world as well. They are set to trigger at 30 dwarves and no wealth requirement. Last fort had an early titan child come, and shortly after an adult titan (like giant people). Child was during second migrant wave of 39 dwarves. That was messy. The adult came at the same time as a war elephant siege and a hidden necromancer. Zombies, zombies everywhere!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

I usually aim for 120 or so - mainly because I like to build huge pointless constructions. Plus, seeing a huge military storm over enemy sieges is pretty fun. My catacombs are always massive, just like everything else.

Unfortunately, my FPS is usually less than 10. But I figure that's a fair price to pay for towers that reach into the heavens, stadiums, aboveground magma bowls, magmaducts and the like.
It's also fun to pour huge amounts of water into a valley full of invading enemies. Ever done that? Sure, it's generally not lethal (unless you make them all drown by digging carefully-planned 2-z deep channels (like I do)), but hey - they tumble end over end until they smack into something, and that's awesome. Magma is too quick sometimes. And if you really want it, it's always fun to obsidianize enemies and re-dig the valley. Can't do that with 30 dwarves.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:01 pm »

Yeah you can, it'd just take a little while.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2012, 08:53:13 pm »

I set pop limit to 800, then lose 20 dwarfs to a waterfall...

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »

Yep, I said it. It takes too much effort to micro manage. Everytime I get above 30+ dwarfs, I start to get annoyed. I want it to be smooth, and that means tight burrows, beds close to workshop and clean stockpiles. Once you go big, you go bad.

Bring it on.

So, you want us to argue over your playstyle? We all have our prefs.

Happy Dorfing!

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 10:37:59 pm »

Clearly it sparked a more differentiated discussion than that. Au revoir!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2012, 02:22:49 am »

Yeah it did.

Does that mean I can't question the intent?

Just seems silly to rehash the same convo (big fort vs. Little fort) by starting off asking for your pefs to be challenged. Or are we immune to a lack of civility?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2012, 02:29:32 am »

I kind of like having several dozen masons/glassmakers and watch them all get trained up after a year or so and really kick production into high gear on my projects.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:10 am »

I like have 200-300 dwarves, hauling is easy.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2012, 03:01:39 am »

so umm... if in the coming release dwarfs will haul better and we will have more freely available.... what do we do with the useless ones?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8