Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119577 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(7/8 Players) Turn 21: 1966-1967
« Reply #840 on: May 09, 2012, 08:30:16 am »

So if low-thrust engines like the VASIMR engines can only use 100kg of fuel per year (but could presumably do this for every year of the journey), what are the mechanics of doing so for a long journey?
Depends on what kind of long Journey you want to do. You can do interplanetary ones, but not taking of and such. For the mechanics I think the ship can depart as soon as it has gathered 50% of the thrust it needs. (By using a gravity sling to store the momentum and such).

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:33 am »

Seeing as low-thrust engines can't actually launch things into space from Earth's surface, where does that leave kingfisher1112 and Kashyyk's designs that have VASIMR engines?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 09, 2012, 08:39:36 am »

Seeing as low-thrust engines can't actually launch things into space from Earth's surface, where does that leave kingfisher1112 and Kashyyk's designs that have VASIMR engines?
Technically they can launch, but they are going to be extremely inefficient till they are decently upgraded.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:50 am »

Unless they're the second stage of a two-stage system.

Or he has a orbital shipyard constructing them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game
« Reply #844 on: May 09, 2012, 10:28:56 am »

((I decided to call the Explorer II shuttles (1) (2) and (3). Toaster has (1), while (2) is docked at the station and is the only one with a docking system.))

CHASE

Liang Chou had smoothly taken over command of CHASE. His first goals involved independence: Both for the space station from as many expensive supply launches as possible, and from DWARF's launch vehicles. They were adequate, but CHASE needed a specialized launch vehicle. A safer method of upgrading or repairing the station would also be helpful; he didn't like risking the taikonauts on spacewalks multiple times per year.

Research:
Lab 1st floor (Propulsion Expert): XL Safe Thruster fuel efficiency. ($2000)
Lab 2nd floor: Cargo Clamp's ability to not lose cargo.
Lab 3rd floor (Shaiming Hu): Tripod RC repair drones. Each leg is about half a meter long. Two of the legs have electromagnets for staying on the station and locomotion. One electromagnet leg should be specialized on keeping it attached to the station, even if the drone is trying to catch vehicles or supplies. One electromagnet leg should be able to grasp and help with repairs while not walking. The third should be easily replaceable by a taikonaut while in the station for whatever tool best suits the job. The drones should have camera, and only need to have a few dozen meters of radio range.
If my station's not magnetic, just use claws or something. If the drones just aren't possible at this time, upgrade my 10m fuel tank capacity instead.
Lab 4th floor (Specialized for space stations) (Yi shing): Water recycling system's effect on supplies

Design & Production
Refit Explorer Mk II shuttle (3) with a docking bay after its second mission of this turn. ($300)

Construction
None.

Missions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taikonauts:
Tiruin and Taikonauts 6, 7, and 8 will not be training to improve their skills between station stays.
If Taikonauts die in the line of duty, give $1000 to their families.

Other:
Aerospace department investment (year 2 of 5) ($1000)
Use PR on the first crew swapping mission.
Press conference when the ex-leader returns. $2000

Total expenses: $(8300 + 4050[missions] + supplies)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05:40 pm »

I approve of the payments and launches I'm listed as making.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 09, 2012, 02:17:23 pm »

What I'm going to make will be complex, also i was wondering if I could use it to manufacture weapons for Britain without my own blueprints?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »

What I'm going to make will be complex, also i was wondering if I could use it to manufacture weapons for Britain without my own blueprints?
If you want to profit it, it is going to  need commercializing. If you want to make weapons, you need to research them. Britain has their own weapon factories.
Also this game is called The Space race and not the Arms race.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 09, 2012, 02:29:42 pm »

I'm just going to use the factory to produce advanced weapons for my ships, excess I'll sell to Britain to make some money for the Space Program

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 09, 2012, 03:06:07 pm »

How does it further your goals to spend all your money on a weapons factory right now, when you don't have any tech to use it, and doing so cost too much for you to fully use your lab time next turn?
It's not a good idea to leave your third research slot unused. If you really would rather use the money elsewhere for some reason, sell the lab time.
If improving a design costs as much as starting a new one, then your turn would use more money than you have. (I'm not sure how much improving a design costs.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 09, 2012, 03:11:01 pm »

How does it further your goals to spend all your money on a weapons factory right now, when you don't have any tech to use it, and doing so cost too much for you to fully use your lab time next turn?
It's not a good idea to leave your third research slot unused. If you really would rather use the money elsewhere for some reason, sell the lab time.
If improving a design costs as much as starting a new one, then your turn would use more money than you have. (I'm not sure how much improving a design costs.)
Improving a design costs as much as designing a new ship. It also can't solve structural problems. ( Ie the fact that it's way to heavy to reach even low orbit).

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #851 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:43 pm »

What would happen if I sent out a scientist or Eagle to give a science lecture at the local elementary school?
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 09, 2012, 03:15:08 pm »

What would happen if I sent out a scientist or Eagle to give a science lecture at the local elementary school?
I roll a PR check. A roll determines the result. A really bad roll would be you falling down the stairs and being unable to do something next turn. (Since you don't have any prestige to lose) a good roll results in a minor Prestige bonus ( 1-2 max).

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #853 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »

Ok then on second thought have eagle go teach tell all the little school children about the world of tomorrow.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:03 pm »

Ok then on second thought have eagle go teach tell all the little school children about the world of tomorrow.
Centralising your turn in one post. (Preferably with some bolded text) makes it way easier for me to run turns.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 67