Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: where circut?  (Read 4608 times)

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
where circut?
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:06:51 pm »

Allright so the other day I was splicing and taping together a gameboy charger cord and the client asked if I could take a look at his television, saying alright I afirm that I could take a look at it, and here an hour later I'm sitting with the powerboard in front of me telling myself that this is over my head; and I'd like some help does anyone have any experience in fixing circut boads can help me?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:10:52 pm by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: where circut?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:01 pm »

You're in over your head, pal.

I'd suggest googling the make and model of the TV you're looking at and the problem it has and seeing if the problem is common enough that somebody posted a helpful DIY guide to fixing it. If you're lucky, it might be something as simple as swapping out some old capacitors for some new ones. If you're not, then you have pretty much no chance of figuring out what the problem is, and no matter what it's probably beyond your expertise to fix anyway.

Depending on the problem, you may have to invest in a soldering iron.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »

I've got a sodering iron, and I've already looked for a diy for it without luck, the buzzing problem for the make of television got one hit and the only response was to send it to some closed website to maybe see if they can fix it...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:36:16 pm by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51:49 pm »

Replace some capacitors... like Groovester said. If that doesn't work, then take it to a technician pronto.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »

ok, what does a capasitor look like? and what does it do?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »

TVs buzz and stuff. If the TV works fine besides the buzzing, I'd say leave well enough alone, unless it's very loud and noticeable.

It doesn't really hurt to replace the components with newer ones, assuming you don't royally screw up the board in the process and as long as you get equivalent or better parts, so you could replace some capacitors and see if that does anything, but if you can't pin down exactly what the problem is I wouldn't recommend touching it.

If it really bugs you, you can always buy replacement boards online.

ok, what does a capasitor look like? and what does it do?

Do an image search for electrolytic capacitor.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:04 pm »

It would have to be the same size/capacity as the original otherwise you run the risk of destroying the circuit.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »

Just to clarify it buzzes like it shouldnt and it doesnt work as well, but doesnt buzz when its not plugged into the tv in one  particular plug thingy with the wires that go to anothe board...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:05:39 pm »

Have you tried searching for leaky components?
many times what is dead, is now leaking shit everywhere.

Capacitors are usually cylindrical.
Breadboard size capacitors are blue, some larger sizes are grey and black.
tiny capacitors might look like a battery wrapped in plastic?

Does this sound like the problem?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120111232003AAAw28Z

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:16:12 pm »

Is this a CRT TV?

If so, touching the capacitors can KILL you. Seriously. CRT's basically work by guiding a lightning bolt from the back to the front. With enough power to stop your heart.

And it's built up in the capacitors, that can hold a charge for days, after being unplugged from the wall. I met someone who discharged one from hand-to-hand, with the current passing through his chest, stopping his heart. Fortunately, his co-workers knew CPR and the number for 911(...)

I can't really help otherwise, but thought I should warn you about the of the risk of death.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:58:12 pm »

Yeah, I was going to say.  This is obvious, but ground the fuck out of yourself first if you're going to do anything with capacitors... and probably look up additional advice on the internet as to how to do it, because I last dug around inside electronics a rather long time ago =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:46 am »

You probably shouldn't try to fix a tv if you don't know how they work or the basics of electronics, I'm just saying :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 10:41:04 am »

Yeah, I was going to say.  This is obvious, but ground the fuck out of yourself first if you're going to do anything with capacitors... and probably look up additional advice on the internet as to how to do it, because I last dug around inside electronics a rather long time ago =/
I think in this case, you'd actually want to avoid grounding yourself at first, to avoid having an electrical pathway through your body. Once the high voltage components have been discharged, then you'd be okay with working on it.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:04:48 pm »

Whats CRT mean? and how do you discharge stuff? and how do I know if a compacitor is broken or not?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:01 pm »

CRT stands for "cathode ray tube."

Patchy, that sounds sensible, but how do you suggest discharging the high voltage components?  There's still going to be a pathway, well, through your body, just not through your body and off to the ground.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2