Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick Question...  (Read 2447 times)

Issunrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick Question...
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »

...would it be possible to let the world run for a couple hundred years even after it has been generated? If so, how do I do this? I have a world with an adventurer, and I was just curious to see how the world could change in a few hundred years.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:49:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can only do that at generation.   It may be possible with mods but I cant be sure. sorry dude

Issunrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:57:33 pm »

damn. alright thanks.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can only do that at generation.   It may be possible with mods but I cant be sure. sorry dude

However, does the world freeze when you start fortress mode? If not, just... mod elves into not needing anything to eat, build an 1x1 elf fortress (just a wooden cube containing your elves) and let game run at high fps while you sleep.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 03:13:43 pm »

Yes, the world history freezes, at the moment after gen has ended only your deeds will be registered on history. Its short of annoying, but it will probably be added at some point in future.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:27:50 pm »

I believe it was in one of the latest DFtalks he stated that a kind of "wait" feature will be introduced. Mainly it was in discussion of Adventure Mode and being able to skip years ahead and see how your adventurer influenced the world and read about relatives. Would be awesome.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:30:42 pm by sirquote »

Issunrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:27:16 pm »

Wait, when you say that the world generation freezes, does that mean literally nothing else important happens except for the stuff you do yourself? That would kinda suck...

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 05:31:34 pm »

Judging by one of the recent DFTalks the world progresses just the same as in world gen when you play, there's just no wait function that is that long in adventure mode. You could wait for years as an adventurer essentially, but it's tedious. The elf fortress trick mentioned above seems a better alternative.

Issunrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll try it out.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:59 pm »

Wait, when you say that the world generation freezes, does that mean literally nothing else important happens except for the stuff you do yourself? That would kinda suck...

This is correct. Literally nothing happens post-generation unless you make it happen yourself, through either a fortress or adventurer, and even then it's mostly limited to people being born or dying. Sleeping forever as an adventurer won't make anyone do anything.

If it makes you feel any better, it's slated to be in the game eventually, at least. It'll be release 5 at the latest, so it's not too far in the future.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Issunrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:37:24 pm »

Huh. I'm a little confused, what release are we on now? And how long would release 5 take approximately? Haha

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »

The upcoming release (due to come out this month) is the first release of the caravan arc, haha. No telling how long it'll be for release 5 (definitely more than a year) but it's still in the short term considering the entire scope of DF.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 12:08:31 am »

The upcoming release (due to come out this month) is the first release of the caravan arc, haha. No telling how long it'll be for release 5 (definitely more than a year) but it's still in the short term considering the entire scope of DF.

Actually, it's the second release, listed on that dev page as release 1. The first was 31.19.

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »

That is exactly what it means.
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:21:33 pm »

That is exactly what it means.

You really didn't have to necro a topic to answer a question that had already been answered...
Pages: [1] 2