Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's Your Current Fort Goal? Big or Small, come share!  (Read 6373 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Current Fort Goal? Big or Small, come share!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 11:33:21 pm »

A fort in a terrifying tundra. The upper level will be a death maze. The middle section will be the city. The lower level will be where the computer controlling the traps and doomsday systems (some way to collapse the surface level, and ways to open the magma, water, and miasma tunnels). It'll have a calendar, clock, and moon phase indicator if I can figure out how to make them. Bonus points if the dwarves can do anything with necromancy in the next few versions.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 11:54:16 pm »

I'm making a fortress inside a group of massive, 25-block-diameter towers. I won't dig or build outside the cylinders defined by this circle, and I will make each one a single, unbroken tube right down to the magma sea.

Major problems:
Lack of stone
Skeletal giant badgers
Goblins
Limited water supplies (and freezing temperatures)

I've had to reclaim twice already, but I've got the first tower pretty much built. I just need to seal it off from the caverns and get a decent-sized water cistern filled (which involves waiting for relatively harmless creatures to spawn on the map, then making a dash for the murky pool).
[Signature]

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:21 am »

I am building a above ground fort.

Currently I have the wall built, and about 40 rooms built. The mayors and dukes room have been completed. They are each three stories. Building the other houses for the other nobles. Also building warehouses

I am building the dinning hall right now. It should take another 4-6 years to complete most things.

All of it is built out of rock blocks
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:07 pm »

Galena block castle. 

Not really sure why, but it seems like the right thing to do.  Does anyone else pick a colored stone and then begin quarrying it exclusively?  I had an orthoclase fort once before.  It took a LOT of stone to make.  I'm also not sure why I insist on constructing the whole thing from blocks and not raw stone, which would be a lot simpler. 

Anyway, galena castle is my current objective.  That is, once I get some adventuring out of the way in the new version, and some bugfix releases make the game stable enough for fort mode to be workable. 
where is up?

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:58 pm »

I want an entire Dwarven city, including streets, canals (water and magma), and multi-story buildings, vaulted ceilings, dining halls, farms, etc...

All carved from natural stone, from the top down, layer by layer -- with each layer smoothed and engraved before moving on to the next.

No constructed walls/floors, all surfaces natural stone.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 04:46:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...basically.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 04:54:21 pm »

My current fort, Bloodcage, aspires to be a vast, impenetrable dungeon for torturing goblin prisoners. In the end, it shall be a great monument to pain and suffering.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »

...basically.

Nothing to see here.

Also, survive.

Whilst making it as difficult as possible to survive.

:D

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »

Currently? Recover from my first tantrum spiral, which has led to the deaths of 224 dwarves. So far I'm back up to 43.

Long-term? Gigantic marble block castle. By gigantic I mean 62*102 walls, with a rock salt housing for my waterwheels powering my 70z magma pump stack and my surface farms.
くコ:彡

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 01:02:10 am »

I'm practicing minimal embarks in evil biomes, in preparation for a story fort I want to start after the next release and wave of bugfixes.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 01:23:13 am »

I'm practicing minimal embarks in evil biomes, in preparation for a story fort I want to start after the next release and wave of bugfixes.
You are a braver man than I. 

From what I can tell, this release Toady has really decided to make evil areas completely goddamn evil.  Previously an "evil" region was kind of a flavor type thing, with dozy zombies ineffectually gnawing at your toes.  This led to a pretty universal notion that "evil regions aren't so bad".  I'm thinking that blood rain, acid mists, necromancer invasions, the dead spontaneously rising from their graves, and grass made of eyeballs and tentacles is going to change that.  I would go so far as to say that there are going to be regions in the game which are decidedly too evil for anyone to build a fort in. 

We will see if I am correct about this or not. 
where is up?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:23 am »

You are a braver man than I. 

From what I can tell, this release Toady has really decided to make evil areas completely goddamn evil.  Previously an "evil" region was kind of a flavor type thing, with dozy zombies ineffectually gnawing at your toes.  This led to a pretty universal notion that "evil regions aren't so bad".  I'm thinking that blood rain, acid mists, necromancer invasions, the dead spontaneously rising from their graves, and grass made of eyeballs and tentacles is going to change that.  I would go so far as to say that there are going to be regions in the game which are decidedly too evil for anyone to build a fort in. 

We will see if I am correct about this or not.

I certainly hope you're correct.  My story will be boring indeed if the worst that happens are zombies and skeletons.  Yes, they can and do kill hapless migrants and play merry hell if they get indoors, but after a few years of successful establishment they can be handled well enough that they cease to strike the appropriate level of fear into the observer.

It is my hope that my fort shall have to contend with acid mist and blood rain, necromancers raising the dead from old sieges, insidious vampires sneaking in, and more (along WITH zombies and skeletons).

The tentacle grass and eyeball grass is, disturbingly enough, already in game (though it has no real gameplay effects just yet, it seems). 
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49:58 am »

Still trying to move into the enormous Demonic Fortress I found, but there are about twenty pages of undead things I have to kill first.  :(
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 06:11:32 am »

Survive until next release comes out.
Build some impressively large above-ground walls and towers (I'm not very good at the above round building thing...)
Kill all the opposing nations nobles. 
Colonise the caverns.

My goals are pretty small right now, but I don't use adamantine or cage traps. I figure I'll elaborate on my designs as I progress.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:34 am »

So I found my location. Small amount of land, that gets trees, and the lake freezes over in early winter.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 [2] 3