Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's Your Current Fort Goal? Big or Small, come share!  (Read 6374 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
What's Your Current Fort Goal? Big or Small, come share!
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:17:44 am »

What the topic says, come share your fort current goal and come back and give progress updates!

I'll go first. My current fort is an underwater fort. I want to do it in a lake, so I dont have to deal with salt water.

Now for the bonus points. I want the outside to be all mastercraft clear glass blocks. So that its like the Fortress is inside a bubble of air under the late. Ah, but I'm going to do an indoor waterfall all around the, so that it gets the affect like there only water between the fort and the lake.

Then I want the fortress to break the first cavern level. I want to do a glass dome on the bottom the fortress, and have the fortress proper be suspended above this, so that the glass inclosed fortress is floating within the lake.

Now for the surface. For the surface, I don't there be a persistent bridge between Fort and the land. Instead I only want there to be a connection to the fort when the lake freezes over. Now to signify this great occurrence, I an going to have a lava current over where the fortress breaks through the ocean. During the off moments this would be a white tower. Maybe made out of Marble (Masterwork blocks.) or maybe masterwork Steel. I havent decided. I didnt want to go with glass here, because I wanted where the fortress was to be greatly visible.

Now for the socio aspect of the fortress. Now obviously, this is verging on a mega project. This is going  to take awhile. So there going to be a Fort before the Fort.

This Fort, is going to be the land part of the lake, which I'm trying to make as small as possible to maximize my underwater fort.

So I'm going to have a very small fort, building a very large fort. And I want it to be an above ground fort, as I want to keep the two separate. So is not going more then two z levels down, but it can be as high as it wants. I'm not sure about this part, as I dont want it to look to silly.

After the fort is actually done, I also not sure what I'm going to be doing with land fort. I was thinking of maybe letting immigrants stay there, and 'earn' the right to live in the water fortress. Ni idea.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Current Fort Goal? Big or Small, come share!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:21 am »

I intend to seal an embark into the cavern layer after stripping the aboveground of all it's resources (trees, plants, any mineral or ore veins exposed to the hillside)
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:33:41 am »

I intend to capture each of the mega beasts.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:42:18 am »

Succesfully invade hell, with nothing more then Dwarven adamantine weapons and armour. It'd be easier if I wasn't in a evil area. Damn Skeletal Giant Cave Swallows.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:35 am »

Great a 10x5 pit at the opening of my fortress, when invaders get caught in cage traps in the pit, a lever should cause water to flow in from the roof via a pump system and drown the caged sods.
Another lever will put down a bridge when the pit is full of water, and a third lever should drain the pit.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Tweakd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:59:57 am »

a lever should cause water to flow in from the roof via a pump system and drown the caged sods.

Sadly this won't work. Cages seem to be airtight.

Current project is to shave off the top layers of my embark and only stop once i've exposed the first cavern. I want to try a surface cavern.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:38 am »

Sadly this won't work. Cages seem to be airtight.

So...if you manage to cage a dwarf ( using webs, thanks DFWIKI ) and have a dwarf ( sacrifice? ) pull a lever, flooding the fort and the invaders in it, the caged dwarves will be safe? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:06:27 am »

Until they die of thirst or starvation.

My goal is to use twelve dwarves to create a surplus of food and drink that will comfortably support a fortress of 250 for decades. Then I'm going to let the other 238 migrate here.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »

I have two ongoing games.
inkhoist is my first truely successful fortress (magma piston,adamantine clad legendary warriors, over 200 dwarves, a big water reactor, repeaters with danger rooms, a moat) where my project is to breach the HFS, kill everything inside and wall it before creating a statue garden and a legendary dining room in there. And create a magma moat using pumpstacks and a second and a third magma pistons.

boltlocked is the second one, I use inkhoist for experiences (inkhoist is slow and and the stockpile system is a mess but she is really resilient) then do the real thing in boltlocked (first try with organized stockpiles and modified windmill villas). the goal is to make the most space efficient and defended fortress I can do. I'll try social experience in it. kill this popular guy and try to escape from the tantrum spiral.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »

An army of caged creatures/goblins to fight the HFS and beat them. Then colonize hell.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »

Working on getting the best hospital going possible (nice looking too). Made out of precious metals, lots of beds/traction benches/tables-Lots of supplies (thread, cloth, gypsum, soap), several wells, and a doctor legendary in each healthcare aspect (with their own rooms right by the hospital).

This way I can have 80% of my population in the military and not feel bad.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:05 pm »

I just finished my wellness prison with beds, engravings, tablet and thrones... I hope it helps calming prisoners down.
My next goal is to finish my secondary retracting bridge magma moat.
Means if goblins stand around my primary magma moat... the bridges around it will retract and reveal the secondary magma moat... burning them to ash. :)

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 07:39:34 pm »

I am trying to raise some legendary teachers.  They are really good trainers when they have one other dwarf to train with, but giving them two dwarves doesn't work well. 

I run forts with no traps for defense, and I am trying to find the best way to train new dwarves. 

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 08:04:37 pm »

I am currently trying to create a military large enough to stand up to the constant goblin sieges that my fortress has because of my large amount of wealth from artifacts (I have about 8 ) aswell as all the crap im importing (everything the merchants have). I am also trying to dig deep enough to find a metal better than copper. I have no tin and my iron comes from caravans and goblinite. I have hit the caverns with no such luck and only silver as a better weapon alternative.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:07:16 pm by cameron1124 »

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 09:17:46 pm »

My goal is to eventually build a massive above ground city / fortress that can easily fit 200 dwarves  with courtyards /  feilds / lakes / hills / housing districts and plenty of space all above ground and safely behind fortress walls.

I have tried in the past but never get further then a few large buildings and pastures with mainly military and Nobles living above ground.
Pages: [1] 2 3