Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: Divinity. - Dreams Invaded: 2  (Read 57911 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Divinity. - Slaves Freed: 292
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2012, 04:02:38 pm »

-Paid labour in the mines. In fact, tell Aloe to reinvest the profits into the mine- get proper equipment for the miners, make the mine safer- we don't need the resources just yet.

-The amulet is powerful. Destroying it could have consequences. Seal its power, and have Aloe bury it in the mine somewhere.

-Offer the slavedrivers one chance to serve you unconditionally. If they refuse, consume them.

-The slaves shall receive the same offer as the slavedrivers, at the same time. However, if the slavedrivers refuse (and are consumed), offer the slaves a second chance to serve. If they still refuse, well, they knew what the consequences were (omnomnom).

-You and one of the resistance members should go back to Ferrun; he will verify your story to the others, allowing you to gain their support. Your other followers will remain at the village, helping with the mines, and those with a talent for combat being trained into soldiers.
This. Except study the amulet.
+1

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2012, 10:26:45 pm »

Updated list (Ukranian Ranger, where are you?  :P )

Quote from: The Consensus
-Paid labour in the mines. In fact, tell Aloe to reinvest the profits into the mine- get proper equipment for the miners, make the mine safer- we don't need the resources just yet.

-The amulet is powerful. Destroying it could have consequences. Seal its power, and have Aloe bury it in the mine somewhere. But Study it first, focusing on how it works.

-Offer the slavedrivers one chance to serve you unconditionally, a chance to repent by working in the mines for no wage. If they refuse, consume them.

-The slaves shall receive the same offer as the slavedrivers, at the same time. However, if the slavedrivers refuse (and are consumed), offer the slaves a second chance to serve. If they still refuse, well, they knew what the consequences were (omnomnom).

-You and one of the resistance members should go back to Ferrun; he will verify your story to the others, allowing you to gain their support. Your other followers will remain at the village, helping with the mines, and those with a talent for combat being trained into soldiers.

So nobody wants to go with making another luxpanap?  Or are we saving on power for later use?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2012, 01:55:03 am »

You consider projecting images of the freed slaves and the revolt to the surrounding villages, but decide against it.  The news will get out soon enough on the backs of the slaves themselves and will kill any chance you have of reaching Ferrun ahead of the word.

You tell Aloe to work the mine with paid labour and more than that, to reinvest the proceeds of the mine into improving the conditions and providing better equipment for the miners.  This goes down very well with the ex-slaves looking to work on the mine, and will no doubt attract more labourers.

You muse over whether to seal the amulet away or destroy it and risk the effects of the evil within escaping.  You opt to destroy the cursed thing rather than let a minor evil artefact remain in the world.  Before doing so you take the opportunity to study the medallion.  The enchantment on it is not especially complex, but rooted in demonic power - power you cannot (and will not) personally command.  What you do learn is how the medallion channels evil energy to and from the bodies it controls.

It takes you a couple of days of meditation and study, but you have one of the more skilled freedmen craft you a matching medallion out of the local tin.  You request a plain disc, but instead he shapes one with an image of yourself on it; a robed woman with six wings.  The tiny votive offering makes you smile.

You imbue the new medallion with angelic energy based on the design of the necromantic medallion.  It takes a little refinement, but when you are done you have a potent weapon of your own.  This medallion will not allow you to control the undead as the other did, but as a channel for Good it will enable you to harm the undead and destroy weaker minions such as zombies outright by negating the bonds of Evil that hold them together.  With a little time, faithful mortals could be trained to use these medallions themselves.  Mortals with magical knowledge could be trained to produce them.  Now that you know how to make them, you can produce more of these medallions yourself when you need to.

Now for the original amulet.  You take it to a small field away from the mine and place it on a stone.  You then take Mistwalker and with careful aim strike the amulet with the blade, channelling Good into it with brute force.  The amulet screams, literally screams with the souls poured into it, as it cracks.  Shadows spew from it, dissipating into the air with cracks of purple light.  You extend a hand and the shadows begin to burn away in golden flames.  Around the medallion, grass withers, blackens and then bursts into small fires.  The bronze of the amulet twists and then melts, bubbling until it coats the stone below with a layer of metal.

The last of the golden flames burn out.  Only harmless metal remains now, but you can feel where traces of evil have soaked into the ground about the stone.  There is a stain here that will take months to fade away, but it is a weak taint and will do little more than anger and unnerve those who pass it.  Having successfully destroyed one of these amulets, you will be able to eliminate further ones with less difficulty.

You present the overseers with an ultimatum: Serve you unconditionally or be utterly and completely destroyed.  They capitulate to a man; apparently John has been telling people what happened to the last man who refused you.  The head overseer, now that his amulet is gone, has no particular magical ability but is at least a capable swordsman.  You put them under Aloe's watch for now and have them train new soldiers, warning them that you will send for them when the time is right and that earning their redemption will be a long and difficult journey to come.  You brand each of them with your mark accordingly.

With the overseers having capitulated, the remaining slaves agree to serve you unconditionally.  Essentially this just makes them slaves again, so their lot has not much changed.  You set them to gathering food and resources from the region to support your new army until you can decide what to do with them.

You leave the bulk of your army up at Stworca's Hamlet to train as spearmen and produce simple wooden spears and very light armour (probably leather hauberks or padded cloth).  Before you go, you bless Aloe as a new luxpanap that she might better serve those she protects.

You journey back to Ferrun alone save for the resistance guide and the shades.  You travel as quickly as the barges can carry you, which is still quicker than walking, and arrive a little sooner than two weeks after you leave.

When you return, work on Ferrun castle's new defences is nearing completion; a stone bailey and keep with battlements and strong, reinforced gates.  The population of the town has grown with additional forced labour from the nearby villages, but you hear nothing of slaves from Fere's Pike at least.  The wards remain at the same strength; there is no evidence of an expected magical threat.

You meet up with the resistance leaders in person for the very first time.  Your actions at Stworca's Hamlet have exceeded all promise; the resistance fighters expected you to free perhaps a dozen prisoners, maybe through a short raid or attacking the slave barges.  The full power of the resistance is at your command, along with several citizens simply aiming to do good; a total of 112 people.  Because the resistance is trained, most of them are at least able to wield spears and several are old veterans who can still hold a mace and have their youthful leather armour on hand to assist.  The resistance leaders themselves were captains in Lord White's army once and still can lead and fight with skill.

The resistance provides you with an update on the situation here in Ferrun.  Sacrifices and slaves continue to brought in as a daily trickle, but killings in the temple have only increased of late.  You can feel the evil even just passing by the temple now, as the malevolent presence of the idol within grows stronger still.  You expect the wards have strengthened as a result, but then so have you.  With the defences almost complete, Sir Braithe is under orders to fortify his position and secure the region.  Fresh soldiers have come in; macemen and a couple of necromancer captains have been called in from their slaving and conquering duties to reinforce the castle and a company of archers, macemen and swordsmen have arrived and taken up residence.  They do not wear the grey cloak and uniform of Lord Thrane's soldiers, but rather a motley collection of armour and clothes.  The resistance men suspect they are hired mercenaries rather than committed soldiers.  Finally there is the zombie presence, which has expanded continuously with all the dead both the temple and the continued conquest produces.

The resistance puts the current fortress count at around 200 zombies, 50 macemen, 40 archers, 20 swordsmen and three necromancer captains including Sir Braithe, of which 30 macemen, all the archers and most of the swordsmen are mercenaries.  The high walls, steep hill and heavy gates of the castle will make a direct assault difficult, especially once construction is completed.

On a final note, you commune briefly with John and Aloe; training of the army is as complete as you can get without additional resources and time.  If you give the order to march now, they will arrive within two weeks, but the castle will likely be fully operational by then unless complications arise.

What are your plans?

Name: Lvantha Talaoia
Strength: 20 manpower (+1 Good Deed, -1 crafting, -1 destruction)
Mind: 19 menminds (+1 Good Deed)

Personal Retinue
Followers: 91 spearmen, 19 macemen, 3 swordsmen (resistance fighters)
Slaves: -
Servants: 15 shades, 5 greater shades

Stworca's Hamlet*
Followers: 1 armed luxpanap (John), 67 spearman, 2 macemen
Slaves: 8 macemen, 1 swordsman, 25 slaves

Holdings: 6r
1 village (1 Resource)
1 tin mine (4 Resources)
Slave Gathering (1 Resource)

Upkeep: 6r
>50 spearman training (1 Resource)
>50 soldiers (1 Resource)
Mine Development (4 Resources)
[Resistance provide own resources.]

Items:
Mistwalker: +2 vs undead & demons if you wield it.  More effective when a mortal holds it.
Unnamed Medallion: +3 vs undead, +1 vs demons on both mental and physical atacks.

*If followers cannot leave the settlement to serve you, e.g. because they are busy as adminstrators or are not willing followers or direct slaves, then their contribution is just subsumed as part of the settlement's resource contributions.

Quote from: Stats
Swordsman: 3 Str, 1 Mind.  1 hp, 12 morale, 1 mobility.

In which statblocks are going to start getting streamlined as the scale increases, partial glossaries added.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:14:45 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2012, 03:52:30 am »

Main Goal: End Sir Braithe's tyrannic rule.

> We now have the knowledge to counter the mass of zombies, but not outright killing them. Maybe, in the attack, we can focus the amulet's power to target every single one of them and weaken the force holding them up. Not that obvious to the enemy, but to us, it will be like fighting living training dummies.

> The Resistance may have knowledge of other entrances in the place. It seems that Sir Braithe is a tactical man, jumpy on his forces though. The treasury may well be worth something. Try contacting the Resistance leaders on any underground sewers/maps of the area that may give detail on where to strike.

> If the above is possible, send a few miscreants to bother the mercenaries, maybe the children? (Sorry). Sneak in a batch of unarmed plainclothes soldiers as 'servants' to the castle to be used later on.

> Maybe...communicate with the mercs in their dreams? They are obviously on the wrong side: tell them that if they work against their buyer, they would be free men in your service and that most of their fellow soldiers are just dressed up corpses. Or make a prophecy about the doom of the castle going down in blood and purging fire, whichever works better.

> Command the commencement of the March, give Mistwalker to John and trade for something that is ranged, like a bow. You already have natural weapons.

> About the servants above, if possible, try to poison or drug the food that Sir Braithe's captains and commanders eat, but not his own food for it would raise suspicion.

> Try to find a way in the castle while your army waits in some secluded spot out of the town, if possible, bring along John and a few Shades and Soldiers of your own. Breach the defenses and subdue mercenaries, kill the rest and open up the castle for the attack.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2012, 10:19:35 am »

> Try to find a way in the castle while your army waits in some secluded spot out of the town, if possible, bring along John and a few Shades and Soldiers of your own. Breach the defenses and subdue mercenaries, kill the rest and open up the castle for the attack.
It have to be someone other than you, john, and the shades. If memory serves correct (to lazy to look), the castle is blocked from spiritual influence.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2012, 10:54:15 am »

Erm. Lure someone out, plant the seed in their mind,start a rebellion.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »

It have to be someone other than you, john, and the shades. If memory serves correct (to lazy to look), the castle is blocked from spiritual influence.
Take a few soldiers then.

Right now we have fewer numbers, but we have ourselves. Commando ops are the way to go imo.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

Now hey wait a minute whats the matter hold on

What about fixing the temple? I don't know what's going on in there, but I don't like it. If we put a stop to... whatever it is, one suspects that Sir Braithe will invest a great deal of effort into trying to fix it; luring him out of his fortress, into the narrow streets, where resistance members disguised as members of the public can surround him and his soldiers, slowing him down, making him vulnerable to a charge by ourselves and our most skilled warriors.

Or something like that, you know?
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2012, 07:27:58 pm »

Going to wait for more suggestions or some sort of clear consensus before I do a post, just to let you know.  =B

Edit:  And suggestions on how to approach your choice (e.g. the temple, since that's popular) would help too.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:34:53 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »

I think going after the temple is a good idea, and while we're at it have our supporters work on securing our position and undermining our enemies.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:29:18 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »

I support the above.

Focus on the temple then, the idol is giving me a bad feeling.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2012, 08:20:05 pm »

What about fixing the temple? I don't know what's going on in there, but I don't like it. If we put a stop to... whatever it is, one suspects that Sir Braithe will invest a great deal of effort into trying to fix it; luring him out of his fortress, into the narrow streets, where resistance members disguised as members of the public can surround him and his soldiers, slowing him down, making him vulnerable to a charge by ourselves and our most skilled warriors.

This.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2012, 08:09:18 am »

This.
Before doing that, make sure the temple is not connected to the fortress underground. Better still, try to create a nuisance at the temple would be good enough. Or something Braithe would have to personally attend to.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2012, 04:14:01 pm »

You commune with John and send word to begin the march to Ferrun.  You take the next two weeks to prepare instead, sending resistance spies to infiltrate the castle.  Unfortunately, the resistance is not composed of men known for their subtlety and all six of the spies you send through are captured.  They never leave the castle, but the wards around the keep prevent you from reaching them mentally.  You cannot know how much they have told the enemy - it may well be everything.

With little luck planting a spy conventionally you wait for one of Braithe's men to come out of the castle.  It is a simple enough matter to catch him unawares, whereupon the resistance bring him to the house you are hiding in.  You work with subtlety and precision on the captive, trying to change his perceptions and loyalties rather than simply destroy his mind.  His mind is not the most complex to begin with, so it only takes a couple of days to complete the brainwashing.  When you are done, you send your new agent back to the castle with a cock and bull story about being sent to a nearby village for taxes, only to find they had already been collected.  You perform this act with grace and skill, almost as if you were operating some sort of liberal squad devoted to crime rather than an insurgency group.

Your spy reveals a little about the defences.  Whilst being completed, several high scaffoldings remain in place, but by the appointed day for the attack they will have been taken down and the walls made all but secure.  The only point of entry will be the outer gatehouse, and then the inner keep's reinforced doors.  The spy will be able to open one of these two gates, so you assign him to the outer gate - the inner keep's doors will be easier to break down if need arises.  There are no hidden entrances that he can find - there used to be a sewage chute right into the centre of the fort, but Sir Braithe is not the complete idiot that Sir Townsend was and simply blocked it up.  Refuse just gets tipped over the walls now.

You briefly consider having your new spy sow dissent or risk assassination attempts against Braithe's commanders, but the likelihood of capture is high and you only have one spy in place.  You let it be for now.  In the future, should you come across or seek out someone with experience in these matters as a trainer, you may wish to consider training or recruiting professional spies for a higher chance of infiltration.

You enter the dreams of the mercenary soldiers, whispering dissent in their minds.  Less than a score respond favourably; the remainder put the dreams down to digestion or are too greedy to leave.  The ones in whose minds doubt has been seen will probably run or surrender as soon as the apparition from their dreams appears in real life, but they will still present a real and well-armed threat to you in the fight ahead.

Throughout the passing two weeks, patrols within the town double.  Minor offences are clamped down upon, people dragged away to the castle dungeons if they so much as look at the soldiers in an odd or unpleasant way.  Your spy provides an answer; Sir Braithe is trying to eliminate the resistance before a planned attack.  No other news filters down from the top, though; if Braithe knows anything more than that the resistance is planning an attack, he has not told his men.  The crackdown is unfortunately much more effective than you would like; 37 resistance members are either arrested on the street or their homes broken into at night and kidnapped.  They disappear into the dungeons and are not seen again.

It is virtually impossible to hide the approach of an army, so you do not.  Word arrives ahead of your men from Stworca's Hamlet by two days.  When it reaches Ferrun, Braithe does the unexpected; rather than pull all of his forces into the castle, he draws more than half of his army out and places them outside the city in preparation to attack John's men when they arrive.  About 150 zombies, the mercenary macemen, 10 archers, 5 swordsmen and one of Braithe's captains sally forth in preparation to meet the foe.  Your spy informs you that 50 zombies, 14 macemen, 30 archers, 15 swordsmen, and two captains including Braithe remain in the castle.  6 macemen, all loyal to Braithe's cause, are stationed to protect the temple as well.  Braithe seems overconfident but not completely moronic in this respect.

The day comes.  You contact John to inform him of the coming ambush and wait until there is about an hour before the army arrives.  Then, with the resistance macemen and leaders and the shades as an honour guard, you head to the temple.  A set of sacrifices was scheduled for today, but news of the approaching army has delayed them until tomorrow - Braithe clearly expects to win.  The temple as such retains only its present guard of six, so you are able to easily enter and murder all of them before they can so much as shout an alarm. 

With your new strength of mind and the assistance of the shades, the outer ward crumbles instantly and the latter ward is no match for you.  You deliberately trip the internal alarm on the second ward; Braithe's attention is something you actually desire now.  As expected the trap discharges a small magical beacon and then attempts (and fails) to let loose its entire store of dark power.  This done, you are able to take a good solid look at the idol itself.

As expected, the idol soaks up the evil from sacrifices and other dark deeds and stores it for use - much as the medallion did to a lesser extent.  Unlike the medallion, the idol transfers this energy to desired sources.  It has many of the same features as the medallion in terms of its magical construction (e.g. sending energy to undead around it) but rather than exercising control directly the idol appears to empower and support the large numbers of undead present at the castle.  It also sends a portion of its energy somewhere to the north, probably miles away downriver.

This idol is the reason that Braithe can raise and command such a large undead army.  Destroying it will likely have greatly deleterious effects on his forces, but it is a far more powerful artefact than the medallion you destroyed a month ago.  Dark energy will likely leak and may have very dangerous effects on you and your companions.  It might be safer to destroy the idol later, in a more controlled situation, or to seal it away.  On the other hand, destroying the idol would be a large step towards healing the temple.

You have Sir Braithe's attention now, and your spy reports that he is mobilising all his forces within the castle.  He will likely go forth to meet you.  Decision time.

- Destroy the idol (risky, draining).
- Use the idol as a focus and channel the cleansing energies of your amulet into the entire enemy undead army (very personally draining).
- Leave the idol be for now and prepare to seal or destroy it later.

- Let John fight the outer army and ambush Sir Braithe's men as they go to the temple.
- Leave the temple to help John, but let the resistance ambush Sir Braithe.
- Pull the full resistance army out to flank and crush the outer army, then pull back into the city to take on Sir Braithe.

- Any other suggestions.

Name: Lvantha Talaoia
Strength: 20 manpower ()
Mind: 19 menminds ()

Personal Retinue
Followers: 48 spearmen, 19 macemen, 3 swordsmen (resistance fighters)
Slaves: 1 spy (in castle)
Servants: 15 shades, 5 greater shades

First Army
Followers: 1 armed luxpanap (John), 67 spearman, 2 macemen
Slaves: 8 macemen, 1 swordsman

Holdings: 6r
1 village (1 Resource)
1 tin mine (4 Resources)
Slave Gathering (1 Resource) [25 slaves]

Upkeep: 6r
>50 spearman training (1 Resource)
>50 soldiers (1 Resource)
Mine Development (4 Resources)
[Resistance provide own resources.]

Items:
Mistwalker: +2 vs undead & demons if you wield it.  More effective when a mortal holds it.
Unnamed Medallion: +3 vs undead, +1 vs demons on both mental and physical atacks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:17:12 pm by Iituem »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Divinity. - Wards Destroyed: 2/2
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »

I rather favor destroying the undead army, it will be draining, but not very risky, and will be a huge morale boost for our side.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22