Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Dwarves see through windows?  (Read 888 times)

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Dwarves see through windows?
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:26:51 pm »

Don't murder me, I did attempt to use the search engine but couldn't find anything. (A lot of, Windows 7 Though).

Can dwarves see through windows? And furthermore, if I had an Arena that had windows (assuming they can be seen through) that had some fights, would observing dwarfs in a meeting area become desensitized to violence?

Thanks for your patience guys.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Can Dwarves see through windows?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:05 pm »

Yes.  Windows do not block line-of-sight.  They're just like open space for seeing through.

Dwarves who see fighting going on through windows will be scared away by whatever hostile creatures are fighting.  You'll be constantly getting message spam about jobs cancelled due to being interrupted by something or other.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »

Oh, that kind of ruins my fun though. *Sad face*

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 04:30:39 am »

Oh, that kind of ruins my fun though. *Sad face*

You just have to lock the door on them, and force them to watch the captured invaders, I mean gladiators, fight it out with your war dogs. Or your resident steel-clad champion.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:45:56 pm »

I've heard dropping various things into the meeting hall from +10z levels up will desensitize your dwarves too.
And if you drop hostiles, they will only interrupt for the brief period of time they are enjoying their freedom-- probably not enough time for civs to escape visual range. You could get rid of all those cats and cavies and potash makers...