Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hanging Gardens of Babylon MEGAPROJECT  (Read 4576 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hanging Gardens of Babylon MEGAPROJECT
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:46:11 am »

What items shall I take?
I want an interesting embark :D

..and what do YOU pick?

Personally I usuallytake the stock items, for a long time I cba to change it massively. In older versions I got alot of plump helmet spawn for good early farming. Don't feel I need to do this anymore.
I often used to drop the anvil for something else, and trade for one at a later date.
Iron Cages or chains I always found useful for early legal system beatings.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:34:46 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: New Embark
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:49:47 am »

Interesting, as in challenging?

Bring no seeds and bring no tools. Bring only stone, wood, food and drink.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 05:51:05 am »

Carve a pyramid out of the ground, going all the way down to the caverns
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:55 am »

Interesting, as in challenging?

Bring no seeds and bring no tools. Bring only stone, wood, food and drink.

Thats challenging alright, I mean interesting as in different to usual! Challenging is fine, but I also want it to be a long term game so not too difficult.

Carve a pyramid out of the ground, going all the way down to the caverns

This does sound pretty awesome. If I start on a hill I could carve it into a pyramid shape easily.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 05:54:42 am »

Want a megaproject, then?

BUILD THE HANGING GARDENS OF BABYLON
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 05:57:27 am »

Interesting idea.

It looks to me that this would be a large complex, about 5 levels up with 'gardens' all around and pillars and such.
As Megaprojects go, this looks like an interesting one. But what would I use for the gardens etc?
farm fields?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:34:08 am »

Hanging Gardens wins, I'm gonna try this :D

*once the basics are started and set up, i'll consider how to make these hanging gardens of armok.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging Gardens of Babylon MEGAPROJECT
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 07:37:00 am »

You could build in the side of a mountain/volcano in a temperate region so you have plants covering everything.  Then just dig out areas and replace them with built walls and floors as you wish

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 07:38:46 am »

You could build in the side of a mountain/volcano in a temperate region so you have plants covering everything.  Then just dig out areas and replace them with built walls and floors as you wish

I was actually thinking the same. Will have to find an embark which has a decent hill to do this on  :o

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:51 am »

Plans

I need to plant many types of plants aswell as the native hill plants. The hanging gardens are basicly  foreign plants placed in a palace for the guys wife, so in DF terms lets say I need to have as many different types of farm plots lurking around as possible. But no plump helmets, too common.

The walls and floor will be stone, and there needs to be a irrigation(trench with water in) around the palace and plants both inside and on the exterior.

Statues etc should be placed around randomly.

Animals should be captured/traded for and chained about for the lords amusement.

and finally a selection of lavish rooms for the lord to reside in with his spouse.

Err.

More ideas for luxury welcome!

Summary:

The Hanging Gardens of Armok

-Many plant types
-Irrigation ditches on all levels, pumped from a river/lake to the compound
-Stone walls and floor
-Statues
-Exotic animals
-Living wing, where the lord lives and sleeps
-Waterfalls.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:57:43 am by Deadmeat1471 »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:40:56 am »

You could do running water and waterfalls, plant whatever aboveground crops your biome supports, even leave some green space for native bushes/trees, you could prune some areas so you have a grove of oak, one of prickle berries, etc, a bit time consuming but maybe satisfying.
I suggest using megalithic architecture for authenticity, but generally Dwarf fortress architecture ends up looking pretty much like that anyway.
Lots of Terraces are what you want, with above ground light tiles on them, I think merely muddying constructed stone allows you to build on it, and also plant growth (am i wrong?)
You should do it in a desert biome with the gardens sorrounded by rocks and dead sand etc, which will cause a problem since you want plants from all kinds of biomes growing on your gardens, maybe some modding or DF hack might help getting things right.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 08:56:55 am »

Like the ideas, its basicly the plan. The waterfalls i'll add, also ill expand the running water into a pump operated irrigation system. Dont worry about muddying stone, only the steps and walls etc will be rock, I will leave plenty of soil around for plants and fountains etc

The Hanging Gardens of Armok

-Many plant types
-Irrigation ditches on all levels, pumped from a river/lake to the compound
-Stone walls and floor
-Statues
-Exotic animals
-Living wing, where the lord lives and sleeps
-Waterfalls.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:04 am »

If the're the Hanging Gardens of Armok, shouldn't your irrigation streams be magma rather than water? Magmafalls would make a nice defence too...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:04 am »

If the're the Hanging Gardens of Armok, shouldn't your irrigation streams be magma rather than water? Magmafalls would make a nice defence too...

No, no, no.  The true dwarven method would be to make the irrigation streams interchangable.  Disable the water flow, wait till the channels dry, then open the magma flow...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:14:14 am »

No, no, no.  The true dwarven method would be to make the irrigation streams interchangable.  Disable the water flow, wait till the channels dry, then open the magma flow...

:P
Pages: [1] 2