Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: certain levers,switches,doors being pulled,locked,w/e on activation of an alert  (Read 773 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

its simple, when an alert is triggered (the ones from military screen) you can make it so a dwarf will pull a lever in a said position

for example on the alert "siege" the game will start a task on certain levers you assigned somehow to be in the desired position as defined in the alert(the doors to be closed, bridges to be pulled up and the machines of death and destruction to be charged up/magma pumped up ready for delivery)

i think its obvious why, and what the advantages are

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

Trigger combined with Alert?  As part of the alerting user command?  Is this the suggestion.  Not sure I'm following along correctly, with what your saying is very simple.  I'm sorta dense, in many regards, so can you clear that up.

First thing I do is at siege time issue levers to be thrown.  Although I always have an always accessible backdoor, so any Dorf stragglers can wander in late into cover, into the assigned safety of a burrow.

Second thing I do is issue the Danger Alert.  And get any meeting dwarfs in my statue garden, off the roof.  In case the siege has flyers in it.

Am I doing these two things backwards.  And is it your suggestion, Blizzard to combine them?

Thanks,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think that's necessary, as you are the one activating the alert, and you might just as easily activate the lever while you're at it. With improved mechanics, you ought to be able to connect a lot of stuff to that lever, so let's push there first.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think that's necessary, as you are the one activating the alert, and you might just as easily activate the lever while you're at it. With improved mechanics, you ought to be able to connect a lot of stuff to that lever, so let's push there first.

a lot of things in the world are not necessary, is it useful though? i think yes

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction

It would certainly save a bit of time, especially if there are multiple levers to pull in order to seal the entrances. Though I'd also like to see military dwarves able to pull levers within a certain distance from their station and/or within the burrow they're defending; sooner or later there's going to be some kind of limit on how far away a lever can be from the object it affects.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a lot of things in the world are not necessary, is it useful though? i think yes
To put it bluntly, I think it's almost completely useless as its effects can be replicated with a few keypresses on behalf of the player. I'd rather have a permanent marker for trade goods, that would save 70 to 85% of trade-related keypresses.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.