Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question: How do i use my iron?  (Read 1317 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: How do i use my iron?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 05:02:47 pm »

Also, dwarves can dual wield. It wont give you extra attacks (either or, not both at once) but it can give you versatility. xbow / hammer dwarves anyone?
A couple forts ago I did an experiment with dual wielding steel spears and axes.  It was surprisingly effective.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »

Also, dwarves can dual wield. It wont give you extra attacks (either or, not both at once) but it can give you versatility. xbow / hammer dwarves anyone?
A couple forts ago I did an experiment with dual wielding steel spears and axes.  It was surprisingly effective.
I believe in Aussie's checkerboard fort, a particularly badass Dwarf called Doren triple wielded weapons.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 07:12:57 pm »

If you want a nearly perfect all-round warrior, try arming your dwarves with a crossbow and a shortsword. Crossbows are moderately effective bludgeoning weapons, and a shortsword can either remove limbs or pierce organs.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »

If you want a nearly perfect all-round warrior, try arming your dwarves with a crossbow and a shortsword. Crossbows are moderately effective bludgeoning weapons, and a shortsword can either remove limbs or pierce organs.
I was interested in getting the perfect combination of two melee weapons for a dwarf.  I found the best combinations were hammer/sword and axe/spear.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:59 pm »

I was interested in getting the perfect combination of two melee weapons for a dwarf.  I found the best combinations were hammer/sword and axe/spear.

A hammer + sword would be a pickaxe, and an axe + spear would be a halberd. Did you try pickaxe/halberd? I'm hella stupid.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:45 pm »

A hammer + sword would be a pickaxe, and an axe + spear would be a halberd. Did you try pickaxe/halberd? I'm hella stupid.
I wanted to stick to standard dwarven weapons - stuff that could be mass-produced.

I know technically picks can be used as weapons, but in my book they don't really count.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 08:12:19 pm »

Do you have any flux stone? If so, you can make pig iron, and then steel, which is the best use for iron. Maybe you could use it to create magma-safe components for pumps, if you don't have sand (but only after you produced enough steel equipment).

Thank you! I was trying to puzzle out why I couldn't make steel (still a bit of a noob) I didn't realize I need pig iron not just normal iron  :)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.
Pages: 1 [2]