Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many worlds do you generate before embarking?  (Read 1757 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many worlds do you generate before embarking?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 05:47:56 am »

I go with what I get dealt. It's more Fun that way. There's always going to be places to embark, so what the hell.

This.

Yeah.  That's the dwarf way.  If the embark site isn't to your liking, then carve out the very earth until it is.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 10:51:47 am »

What I want from my embark is sand and only a partial aquifer at most. And lots of trees, if possible.

I don't insist on iron and the like, being mainly a trapper. Goblins die before they get inside my fort, cockscrewed by tens of green glass cockscrews.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 12:52:04 pm »

cockscrewed by tens of green glass cockscrews.
*ahem* :3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 12:57:16 pm »

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was a typo :P

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 01:04:53 pm »

Now? Only once. In 40d? Literally dozens. With guaruntees of water and magma the only time i'd need to gen more then one world is if I wanted the perfect extreme-cliff embark. Even then I would probably only want extreme cliffs to build aboveground megaprojects, which can be solved by increasing the sky cap and would be much more FPS friendly.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 01:13:36 pm »

I generate worlds many, many times depending on what I want to build.  But I also only use very small worlds (33x33), so the odds that what I want in an embark being available on a certain map are low. 

As of late I've been focusing on long-running (100+ years) forts of dead dwarf civs built in the Artic regions of 1,000 year old worlds where the dwarves are at WAR with the Elves.  (Death to all friends of Nature!)  I've genned two almost good worlds out of more than a hundred that meet those requirements, but neither has iron where I need it.  That hasn't been a problem with SmithTemple - humans bring enough iron anvils and other scrap over the course of 100 years to make up for the lack of local iron.

MagmaMan54

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_SECRET_GOAL: IMMORTALITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »

As many as needed before I get a volcano.

Oh, and if the world's all aquifers, then I regen.
Urist and Catten went up the hill
To fetch a +bucket+ of 7/7 water,
Urist fell down, and the ground hit Urist in the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!,
And Catten fell into some magma.
Pages: 1 [2]