Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many worlds do you generate before embarking?  (Read 1751 times)

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many worlds do you generate before embarking?
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:12:38 am »

Do you just pick whatever you get dealt, or do you look for that perfect world before you start a fortress. In the past I've always just tried to work with what I've got, but recently I had an excellent embark on a volcano with hematite, flux, and a brook. It was the greatest embark I've ever had, except for the part about the goblin ambush. I can't bring myself to play any other map type at this point, and keep generating new worlds searching for a great embark.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: How many worlds do you generate before embarking?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:15:57 am »

I'm not too picky about embark sites, as long as it's either flat, mountainous, scorching, freezing and extremely hostile. So usually just once :P

Advanced parameters are useful, and I believe there's a tool that lets you customize worlds somewhere

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:19:14 am »

I thought about customizing my world (or just using someone's awesome seed) to get what I'm looking for, but I feel like that would be cheating. I want it to be random, just not TOO random.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:29:41 am »

I'm usually very picky, and I never embark, immediately abandon, and embark again in the same world, usually because I'm so picky that there's just one place that looks like it might be suitable. Specifically, I require a place with some fresh water, decent amounts of trees (above or below ground), sand, and a sizable area (at least ~50x50x5 tiles) of flux and/or ore to build the fort proper in that I can get to without digging into any caverns and that I can dig a straight shaft down to the semi-molten rock somewhere central for garbage disposal. This usually requires a perfectly flat, or nearly so, surface, else the flux layers get folded and aren't thick enough for even a flat fort.

I often end up generating a world, embarking, finding it's unsuitable, abandoning, and repeating a dozen times or more when I want to start a new fort. My reasonably-successful forts tend to take quite a while to end, though - my current one is one of the longer and it recently began its 29th year, but 15-20 year forts aren't uncommon - so I don't usually mind much.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 02:32:59 am »

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I like a good challenge, but after having used steel armor and weaponry, trying to make due with paltry tetrahedrite for copper is just no good. It's unfortunate that iron ores seem to be so scarce. I'd like to have one really good, long running fort, and then maybe start branching out from there. I guess I still consider myself a bit of a beginner, even after playing for several years now.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:30 am »

I make exactly 1 world - and it's made off a set of parameters I enjoy.  Good mineral amount, perfectly flat, river optional, trees, temperature, and wildlife.  I've usually also tailored them to allow the elves to settle in a variety of places so they'll bring me many interesting animals for me to kill them and set their cages on display.  Advanced worldgen is VERY fun.  I'm picky, and I don't want to spend two hours looking for an embark.  I know what I want to play and I make a world to suit that.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 02:36:48 am »

i used to do it more but i think I'm comfortable with the game enough now that i don't need a perfect site anymore and a large world usually has enough variety in it anyway.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05:26 am »

I usually just pick a size and get a few embarks from whatever world I get. I only re-gen if a civ has gone extinct (eg. no goblins left in the world) or something like that, otherwise I don't care too much, I can, and have had large-scale metal industries running primarily off of traded wood and metal, no-soil embarks with fully functional farms, braking through aquifers, dealing with salt water. Every embark has it's own challenges and oddities, and rather than look for "perfect" spots, I make due with what my embark has available.
I did this in 40d a lot too - it makes for interesting fortresses, and surprises like unexpected boxes of !!FUN!!
In 2D DF I tend to pick more challenging embarks, just because I know the mountain will have the ore, water, magma !!FUN!! etc etc/

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:39 am »

I go with what I get dealt. It's more Fun that way. There's always going to be places to embark, so what the hell.

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »

I am still trying to learn so much about the game I generally spend a lot of time generating extremely large worlds with lots of minerals, though a relatively short history. I use the search feature to find a good embark point, usually hitting no aquifers, flux stone, minerals, soil, and low evil.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 05:58:29 pm »

I usually just pick a size and get a few embarks from whatever world I get. I only re-gen if a civ has gone extinct (eg. no goblins left in the world) or something like that, otherwise I don't care too much, I can, and have had large-scale metal industries running primarily off of traded wood and metal, no-soil embarks with fully functional farms, braking through aquifers, dealing with salt water. Every embark has it's own challenges and oddities, and rather than look for "perfect" spots, I make due with what my embark has available.
I did this in 40d a lot too - it makes for interesting fortresses, and surprises like unexpected boxes of !!FUN!!
In 2D DF I tend to pick more challenging embarks, just because I know the mountain will have the ore, water, magma !!FUN!! etc etc/

I genned a world for 10,000 years once. Took forever (watched a movie while it genned lol), and upon embarking...

There were no Dwarves, or goblins. Only humans and elves.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:03:34 pm »

I go with what I get dealt. It's more Fun that way. There's always going to be places to embark, so what the hell.

This.

ion25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 12:29:39 am »

I'm never picky about embark. I generate one world, and play it with all my games nonstop. I might make a spare world for adventuring/other fortresses that I can play too, but that's pretty much it. The only things I look for on embark is a river, some trees, lots of ores, possible flux stone, never aquifers, and always play on surroundings that are a challenge.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:40 am »

I'm slightly picky.  I stick to vanilla worldgen, but poke around the map looking for a spot that looks just right.  Of course, lately that has been looking for copper, not iron, a stream/river, trees and mountains, and preferably untamed wilds.  Oh, and bonus points if I can select a civ that is both dead and still (or at least is) at war with the elves.  Nothing like getting ambushed in the spring of ***2, when you've only got wood and copper to use. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:33:40 am »

I genned a world for 10,000 years once. Took forever (watched a movie while it genned lol), and upon embarking...

There were no Dwarves, or goblins. Only humans and elves.

I've used excessively long gen times before to see what happens, typically all but one or two civs dies, along with a lot of the megabeasts and such (in 40d anyway, haven't dont it in 2010), but nowadays I tend to stick to ~500years or less so the civs are all still around and the beasties haven't gotten too beat up yet.
Pages: [1] 2